Search for content in message boards

Michael Woods of Albemarle Co, VA

Replies: 37

Re: Michael Woods of Albemarle Co, VA--did NOT have more than 7 children (surviving).

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 3:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WOODS, WALLACE
Please read the Augusta County records: especially the testimony of Samuel McDowell, oldest son of Magdalena Woods McDowell-Borden-Bowyer as to who his relations were in the Borden Grant lawsuit records. Sarah Woods Lapsley is NOT the daughter of Michael Woods. She is the sister of Magdalena and Martha and a daughter of SAMUEL Woods and Elizabeth Campbell--the older brother and sister, respectively of Michael Woods and Mary Campbell. I'm looking at a photocopy of the will of Michael Woods right now, and it shows that his daughter Sarah was still single in 1760 when he wrote his will. Sarah, daughter of Samuel was married by 1741--and living adjacent to her siblings, not to Michael Woods Sr.!

Second, while the date for Mary's birth is possible, it's not likely. Her first child was born in 1706. Puberty didn't happen until an average of age 15 prior to this century. One needs to reach 105 pounds--as per recent science documentaries. Additionally, several researchers have written to Scottish authorities or otherwise searched the records and did NOT find her marriage record in Scotland. In fact, it is much more likely she was married in London, where her father was serving in Parliament between 1705-1707. Additionally, Michael and Samuel were in Marlborough's first campaigns with the Irish regiments on the Continent and every few years, a number of men were being sent to London for awards for services--like knighthoods, and money. The first such awards were made about 1705. Thus, Michael and Samuel were themselves likely to have been in London at the same time the 3rd baron of Auchinbreck was serving in Parliament and trying to find enough husbands and keep the wedding expenses down (he was not that wealthy) for about 13 children. He'd also just acquired his third wife who probably didn't feel all that much affection for the children of wives number one and two. She had her own children's future to think about.

A few people have already seen the 3rd Baron's will, or extracts from it and know that TWO of his daughters, not just one, married Woods. Additionally a third daughter married a Stuart who also emigrated. These were all daughters by the second wife, Susannah Campbell, nee Campbell of Cawdor.

While you have a lot of accurate data in your posting, you do have quite a few errors as well.

Next there are partial records in both Cecil County, Maryland and Lancaster County, PA that indicate Peter Wallace married Martha Woods in 1739--not before, not later but 1739. Got that?

I have a copy of _Tennessee Cousins._ Martha has NEVER been referred to by her descendants as anything other than Martha. Pages 302-206 in Tennessee Cousins are the greatest contiguous description of this family and nowhere is she referred to as anyone other than Martha. I just went through every mention of Woods in that book and never found anything other than Martha--which conforms with the family records that the late Enos Allee had in Indiana about 25 years ago--he was direct descendant of John Wallace, Martha's son. He still lived on the last farm John Wallace owned.

Next, Adam Wallace's sword has disappeared in the last thirty years or so. What happened is someone who was a descendant of John Wallace wanted to try to put back in John Wallace's family and it was hidden at that point. John gave it for safe-keeping to his niece while he was moving. He may have intended to leave it with her, or may have intended to reclaim it. It's not certain but the situation left enough doubt in the descendants of Samuel that the sword, buckles, etc. of Adam have not been seen or heard of since. Ruth Lamar Petraceck checked into the situation back in the late 1970's and that was she learned.

Next, Worth S. Ray's book _Tennessee Cousins_ had provable errors also. He's the gentleman who on the basis of supposition--which he admitted was just that--tried to link Peter Wallace, and make him Peter Wallace Jr. to the Peter Wallace family of York County, VA (the first Peter having arrived as a young man in 1650.) Unfortunately research of the Wallace records that has been done since, in the area of York and adjacent counties, does not show a connection. Peter Wallace of 1650, had a son Peter and a grandson Samuel. It was a small family. The second Peter born in the 1650's, and his son, Samuel were school teachers in Virginia and never went to Maryland. They have descendants in that area of Virginia to this day.

Again, the naming tradition and other records show that my ancestor Peter Wallace who married Martha Woods was a son of a SAMUEL Wallace and Elizabeth Woods. The William Wallace and Elizabeth Bruce marriage is a maybe. According to the Irish researchers my late mother employed in the 1970's, Peter's father was NOT named Peter, and his grandfather was _a_ Sir William Wallace, no mention of his wife in the letter sent to us with the summary of their findings. However they did send us a description and color drawing of the coat of arms, which in itself gives some ide of who they were and when the arms were issued. First the Sir William Wallace who is the grandfather of Peter was using an older coat of arms. The title "Sir" indicating merely a knight is NOT inherited. Sir William was knighted about 1660 for services rendered to the monarch in his day. His coat of arms is about a century or so older, indicating a previous knighted gentleman in the same line.

Here is the description of the arms: an inverted bullet type shield (of the type that preceded styles of the late 16th century); divided vertically into two panels. As you face the shield the right side is red and the left is light-medium blue (the color sometimes called "French" blue, or "Mariner" blue). A SILVER lion rampant straddles both colors. In his upraised dexter (right) paw he holds a gold fleur-de-lis. This does NOT indicate descent from French royalty but service to the crown of Scotland in some connection with the French. James V resurrected the "French Alliance" and sailed back and forth to France at considerable risk to himself and the persons transporting him. His less than kindly uncle, Henry VIII was trying to kill him--as he had set up and killed (actually his generals at his direction) James V's father, James IV, never the fact that James IV's wife was Henry's own sister Margaret... Someone also took considerable risk to transport James' infant daughter Mary (later Mary Queen of Scots) to France. One of these services might have been undertaken by a Wallace ancestor of mine resulting in this coat of arms being authorized and issued.

Part of the letter my late mother received is missing. When she was on heavy painkillers and dying of ovarian cancer, she insisted she could maintain her usual financial and filing duties. It took my father more than a year to clean up the confusion she left. She had duplicated some things, and pitched out others--or parts of others, and moved items into entirely unrelated files. I have notes I made from the full letter and half of the research letter and the coat of arms. Additional research shows the most likely Samuel Wallace who was the father of Peter and his brothers is the Samuel who made 6 documented trips back and forth between Liverpool and Virginia and Baltimore (ships made rounds of the major ports and landings unloading and loading goods and persons after/before crossing the Atlantic) and one additional trip between Glasgow (actually was passed for the port of Glasgow, probably Greenock) and Virginia and Maryland. He died apparently at sea or just upon arrival in port in 1726. That's the date of his last known voyage. He did NOT die in Ireland. There is no record of any will or probate for him that has ever been found in Ireland--even by the researchers my late mother employed. He may have had a probate record in any of several other places, most likely, though, Liverpool, or Baltimore. There is no probate record for him in Cecil County, Maryland, either. However, by 1738, when his son, a mariner, Adam, died, "Admiral Vernon's War at Cartagena," according to some sources, Elizabeth Wallace, widow was named as executor to Adam Wallace's will and estate. Adam left a wife and infant daughter.

This Wallace family lived in Cecil County, Maryland--not Lancaster County, PA. There are records of events in both counties because of the Mason-Dixon line fight. According to a county historical society worker the last time I visited the society in the 1980's, there were literally raids across the border to seize records because then the families could be claimed and taxed. At one point, as late as the early 1980's, you could literally find indices to records in Cecil County, with the records themselves having been taken to Lancaster County and no could or would copy either the indices or records to allow a researcher to find them easily in any one place. It was not until recently someone finally decided this was absolutely absurd and began correcting the situation. However, now there are pieces--sometimes copies of the same pieces and records in both Lancaster and Cecil Counties for the same individuals. Nevertheless, the land records and tax records and what exists of parish records thus far published or on-line, or otherwise found, show that the widow Elizabeth Woods Wallace and most of her children lived on or adjacent to the Society Hundred in Cecil County Maryland. They lived near Andrew Wallace--who also had a son named Adam who predeceased him in 1733--who appears to have been an older brother of Samuel Wallace. Andrew, according to his tombstone at the Head of the Christiana church in what is now Newark, Delaware, was born in 1672. He arrived before 1700 and settled on the New Munster Hundred, according to historical records of Maryland and Delaware. He was considered among the first settling landowners of that tract.

Last at least for this posting, there is no evidence that Michael Woods Sr. ever had the middle name Marion. That name is French Huguenot in origin as a surname and most uses of it, occur AFTER the Revolution and are a tribute to General Francis Marion of South Carolina, aka "the Swamp Fox," the noted guerilla warfare general.

I also have a LOT of files-and documentation--of this family. I also have questioned and double checked earlier works knowing how little real research went into some of them beyond some family Bibles. Darned few researchers before George Selden Wallace and Worth Ray actually went to courthouses and extensively went through the records there, and until after World War II, even fewer seem to have actually gone to Ireland and Scotland or looked beyond the poorly documented hash in Burke's peerage. Even with their visits, George Selden Wallace and Worth Ray, did not find everything that was important to establishing family relations, and they did engage in speculation, also. Now Worth Ray, generally said when he was "supposing" something, but not everyone else did--nor have others repeating his work mentioned that he did engage in speculation and supposition in some cases. My great-uncle Grover and I both called George Selden Wallace's son and asked that son to check his father's notes on George's claim that Peter was the son of another Peter. His son kindly did, and reported could not find any source of this, nor a note that actually said this. He thought his father guessed possibly as a result of communications with Mr. Ray, or someone else.

In another posting, through another person who asked me about this line, I've sent to this overall group what has been found thus far in the McClenaghan records (a far greater collection of data than Hibernia Research Ltd. initially thought existed), and additional Irish records regarding the Woods history in Ireland. Michael, Samuel, Elizabeth and the rest of their siblings were all the children of Sir John Woods and his first cousin, Elizabeth WOODS--NOT Worsop. Elizabeth Worsop married a generation later another John Woods--of Rossmead--and didn't have children! Elizabeth Woods was the heiress of the Castle of Dunshaughlin. Her father Sir Thomas Wood(s)(both spellings exist)died when she was a child leaving only her as a surviving child. All of this is in Irish records.

Cecilia L. Fabos-Becker, San Jose, CA
late mother: Wilma Maie Wallace-Fabos (1922-1987) of the Tennessee-Missouri Wallaces

Next, the earliest records of Michael Woods in the Americas are 1725--when he's on tax records for Chester County, PA. He did NOT emigrate in 1742--but more likely 1723 or 1724. Magdalena Woods McDowell was among the latest emigres in 1733 by her own testimony in Augusta County records and that of her sister-in-law who came with her. Check the genweb site for Chester County, and the Chester County records there, Ruth Lamar Petracek's book _Woods-Wallace Cousin Clues_ and the Augusta County records.

Next, there is strong evidence for one more son of Michael Woods who is not listed in the will, but only one more son. Michael Woods did NOT have as many children as you are claiming. Go back and read the Augusta County records and pay attention to the naming tradition. Most of the children you ascribe to Michael were children of SAMUEL and named their first or second born sons SAMUEL and unless the children of Samuel married daughters or sons of Michael--as per his will, had NO children named Michael. The only additional likely son is a Richard Woods. There were two of them of nearly the same age. The one who became the first sheriff of Botetourt County was the son of Samuel. Richard Woods, son of Michael appears to have been a merchant and landowner in Albemarle County. You'll find mentions of both, describing them, in the Augusta County records, which are on-line at the genweb site for Augusta County: Chalkey's Chronicles of the Scots-Irish in 3 volumes, and indexed.

As a descendant of Peter Wallace and Martha Woods and their parents: SAMUEL Wallace and Elizabeth Woods and SAMUEL Woods and ELIZABETH Campbell, I resent the continued misstatements about the identities and parentage of these people and the continued confusion with Michael and Mary when there has been plenty of records for decades on both sides of the Atlantic showing the realities. I, the late Ruth Lamar Petracek, Ruby Woods, Lois M. Postel, the late Mrs. Ruthmary Erdahl-first cousin of the Congressman of the same name, my late mother, and others have spent over 40 years researching and transcribing the truth and passing it on--long before computers, trying to undo the speculative undocumented crap put out in the Woods-McAfee Memorial and other vanity press books published 85 to 100 years ago. We've even struggled with semi-historical claptrap like Marten's mangled history of Rockbridge which had uncle and nephew both named John Wallace dying the same day, ignoring the probate records and land records indicating that the nephew was alive and well when Marten has him dead. Apparently when he was doing his typing and editing he wasn't going back to cross check what he'd written with the original records. Yet we think he's the idiot who dropped Peter Wallace's will behind the file cabinet in the basement of the Rockbridge County Courthouse. (Ruth Lamar Petracek found it again--a photocopy of that is also in her book.)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TedMcClellan7... 17 Feb 2008 10:23PM GMT 
celedon1135 23 Feb 2008 2:11AM GMT 
ndm01 24 Feb 2008 12:33AM GMT 
jgcrisp 23 Mar 2013 12:25AM GMT 
jgcrisp 23 Mar 2013 12:30AM GMT 
cjjaca 14 Mar 2008 12:42AM GMT 
ndm01 15 Mar 2008 12:36AM GMT 
perfectlywitc... 16 Mar 2008 12:31AM GMT 
ndm01 17 Mar 2008 3:34AM GMT 
Cecilia_Fabos... 11 Apr 2008 9:29PM GMT 
per page