Search for content in message boards

Michael Woods of Albemarle Co, VA

Replies: 37

Re: Michael Woods of Albemarle Co, VA--Richard Woods and Richard Wood BOTH of Albemarle--2 individuals.

Posted: 5 Mar 2009 8:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
There was Richard Wood and Richard Woods of Albemarle. Richard Woods married the daughter of Richard Woods of Augusta--Augusta County records. I agree there is much confusion with the tendency of the records clerks to add and subtract "s's" without much sense to it. Bear in mind there was also a second Joseph Woods with an "s" further west, also. The Wood family of Albemarle and adjacent areas is another family with which I'm also familiar. I've done a family history for a probable cousin of yours out here, and I have the same family connected with my Wallace line through the sister of one of my more recent ancestors. I spent a considerable amount of time sorting out Joseph's and Richards. Trust me there were three Richards: one Richard Woods of Albemarle, merchant and planter whose wife was Elizabeth Woods and whose father-in-law was Richard Woods of Augusta-Botetourt, and a Richard Wood of Albemarle. Another cousin wondered if his Joseph Woods of North Carolina was connected to the Josephs of Virginia and I spent some time on the Joseph Wood and Joseph Woods as well. (No, he wasn't connected to either--his line of Woods never passed through Virginia...)

I hope this helps some.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cecilia_Fabos... 11 Apr 2008 10:48PM GMT 
Cecilia_Fabos... 4 Mar 2009 11:06PM GMT 
page_carla 5 Mar 2009 11:09PM GMT 
Cecilia_Fabos... 6 Mar 2009 3:58AM GMT 
page_carla 6 Mar 2009 8:13PM GMT 
Cecilia_Fabos... 6 Mar 2009 9:20PM GMT 
page_carla 7 Mar 2009 2:51AM GMT 
wmwillis2 5 Jun 2011 2:27PM GMT 
wmwillis2 5 Jun 2011 2:29PM GMT 
page_carla 6 Jun 2011 4:46AM GMT