Search for content in message boards

Azory Wright Hale, daughter of Clayton Wright

Replies: 0

Azory Wright Hale, daughter of Clayton Wright

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 6:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
‘Keziah’ Wright was born 8 February 1857 in Cocke County, Tennessee, the daughter of Clayton Wright and Sarah Wiley. Information on all the children of Clayton Wright's and his two wives, [Anna Snider and Sarah Wiley] are contained in a Family Bible Record.

The family later moved to Hamilton County, Illinois, where they appear in the Township 6 Range 5 E, Hamilton, Illinois in the 30 June 1860 census ~ [note: three of the children’s names are misspelled] but are presented as they appeared in the census. Information contained in [ ] is from my own research:
Clayton Wright 52
Sarah Wright 40
Birgess F Wright [Burgess] 18
Mathew Wright [actually Martha] 16
Dalila Wright [Delilah] 14
Andrew J Wright 10 [Andrew Jackson]
Richard C Wright 6 [Richard Carter]
Kizziah Wright 3

Burgess, Martha, Delilah, and Andrew are Azory’s half-siblings – from Clayton’s marriage to Anna Snider, who died over 10 years earlier.

In the 18 June 1870 census, the family consisted of:
Clayton Wright 60
Sarah Wright 45
A J Wright 20
Richard Wright 16
Keziah Wright 14

On 17 August 1878, Azory married John J. Hale in Knights Prairie Township, Hamilton County, Illinois. Their children were

1. Cassie Hale, Birth 21 Nov 1882 in Morley Township, Scott County, Missouri; Death February 1971 in West Frankfort, Franklin County, Illinois

2. Oscar Hale, Birth 29 October 1884, Morley Township, Scott County, Missouri; Death: 24 Jan 1975 - Macedonia, Hamilton County, Illinois; Buried Antioch Cemetery

Azory’s death occurred on 29 November 1884 in Morley Township, Scott County, Missouri was found recorded at the Missouri Birth & Death Records Database [Permanent Records of Death]. The record also indicates that she is buried in the Evans Cemetery. However, only 2 graves [identified by headstones] indicate the total cemetery occupants. http://files.usgwarchives.net/mo/scott/cemeteries/scottcem.t...

The cemetery is located 1 mile west of Hwy. 77 from Jct. off Hwy. 77 and Hwy. 61 near Oran, MO, in Morley Township. It is on the north side of the road behind a clay pit. According to the Scott County, MO Genealogy Society, the cemetery has been abandoned and is now located on private, restricted property.

About John J. Hale. Birth: 8 Feb 1852 - Scott County, Missouri; Death: 1 Jan 1940 - Knights Prairie Township, Hamilton County, Illinois; Burial: 2 Jan 1940 in Antioch Cemetery, Hamilton County, Illinois near his 3rd wife, Margaret Ann Click Simms [she was Azory's niece and daughter of Harvey and Mary Ann Wright Click-Azory’s half-sister].

Names –Her name appears in the 1860 and 1870 as Keziah; however, close inspection of the Family Bible Record indicates her name to actually have been Azory. Azory's marriage license lists her name as Azory but information about her son listed his mother's name as Eldora. In her husband's obituary, she was referred to as "Sis". Azory's death record 'Missouri Birth and Death Records Database' shows her name as ‘Arizona’. It’s been quite an expedition toward finding her true name. The name in the Family Bible will prevail.

A site has been established for her on Find-a-Grave at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSmid=4...; Memorial # 100886161

Much of the information on Azory was graciously provided by Ann Anderson, without whose help in providing multiple documents, this biography would not have been possible. Many thanks and my gratitude to her and her idea of genealogy is sharing. “The reward of genealogy is that info can go on forever when we share. Even though my record would become lost, someone else has it also." I wholeheartedly agree!

Descendants of Oscar Hale or Cassie Hale Bowyer - are invited to contact me at gragg02@comcast.net

Descendants of the Richard Wright, Sr. family are also invited to contact me if assistance is needed.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions