Search for content in message boards

Wright, James Alford (or Alfred) originally of Virginia

Replies: 6

Re: Wright, James Alford (or Alfred) originally of Virginia

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 9:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WRIGHT
Dorothy,

I am not sure what you meant by the information before James seems only to be guessing. I think there is pretty good documentation that he was a son of 1816 (year of death) Robert Wright of Nelson County, VA, (place of death).

The 1800 Personal Property Tax List for Amherst County, Virginia, listed James Wright (Son of Robt) with one tithe.

There are a number of documents and the 1810 Census placing James Wright in Catahoula Parish, Louisiana.

Then on January 10, 1818, at Nelson County, Virginia, D.B. 3/142 James Wright of Catahoula Parish, Louisiana, appointed his son Robert Wright to act for him in connection with his interest as an heir in the estate of his father Robert Wright of Nelson County:

"Before me Thomas C. Scott Parish Judge in and for the parish of Rapido and Exd Offices notary Public came James Wright of the Parish of Catahoula who declared that for divers good causes and considerations he hath nominated constituted and appointed and by these presents doth nominate constitute and appoint his son Robert Wright also of the parish of Catahaula his true and Lawful attorney for him in his name and behalf with power have demand sue for and recover any and every thing which may be due owing or coming to him whether in money or property as one of the Heirs of the Estate of his late father Robert Wright of Nelson County and State of Virginia into whose several hands it my befrund(?) and to make and execute proper receipts and acquittances for the same with power to do whatever may appear conducive to his interest in all affairs in which he may be concerned in the said State of Virginia to accept or reject successions to acknowledge debt, to compromise & refer to arbitrators, to make transactions in matters of litigation to sue for restitution in integrum with regard to an act, to alienate moveable & unmovable property to appoint a substitute or substitutes. And he the said James doth hereby ratify and confirm whatever his said attorney may Lawfully do or cause to be done in the premises as fully and intirely as tho he were personally present. In testamony whereof the said James Wright hath hereto subscribed his name at the Town of Alexandra in the Parish afored this twenty fifth day of August one thousand Eight hundred and eighteen.

Teste James Wright
Robert C. Scott
Benja Wills

Done before me Thos C Scott Par Judge and Not Pub.

State of Louisiana Parish of Rapide. I certify the fregoing power of Attorney was signed and acknowledged by the above named James Wright in my presence and in persuance of the subscribing witness on the day of the date thereof. Given under my hand and seal of office as Parish Judge and Exc Officio Notary Publick in and for the parish aforesaid this twenty fifth day of August one thousand Eight hundred and eighteen

Thos C. Scott Par Judge
and Not Pub

Nelson County Clerks Office December the 1st 1818 This Power of Attorney was produced into said Office duly certified from the state of Louisiana Parish of Rapide to have been there ackd by James Wright a party thereto and ordered to be recorded

Teste
Spott Garland Clk"

This power of attorney is similar to others filed on behalf of the children of 1816 Robert Wright of Nelson County, VA, as part of the administration of his estate and clearly identifies James Wright as a son of 1816 Robert Wright.

Hope this is of help to you, but please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss this information further.

Robert N. Grant
RNGrant@grantandgordon.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
00maggie 15 Feb 2013 8:33AM GMT 
00maggie 15 Feb 2013 8:35AM GMT 
Robert Grant 15 Feb 2013 12:50PM GMT 
PamFWright 17 Feb 2013 12:19AM GMT 
00maggie 19 Mar 2013 12:28AM GMT 
Robert Grant 19 Mar 2013 3:31AM GMT 
Tina Sikes 21 Mar 2013 2:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions