Search for content in message boards

Wright, James Alford (or Alfred) originally of Virginia

Replies: 6

Wright, James Alford (or Alfred) originally of Virginia

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 1:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wright, Dawson, Scoggins
Seeking information on James Alford Wright and his wife Frances Dawson. JAW was born about 1762 in Virginia and died in Satartia, Yazoo County, Mississippi in 1838. He was the son of Robert Wright and his wife Margaret of Nelson Co., Virginia. Information I have indicate James served in the Revolutionary war but there are multiple records of a James Wright so I have not been able to establish service. James and wife went to Savannah, Georgia after the war where they owned a bookstore. That is where their son Robert Dawson Wright was born (my gggranddad). The book store was sold and James and wife moved to Mississippi. Frances Dawson Wright died in 1802 and is buried in MS. James next married Mary "Polly" Scoggins, widow of John Carroll.

I am seeking documentation of any kind; have nothing documenting any information handed down and around by family.

Family info says James was a merchant, blacksmith, craftsman. There are stories that he forged great knives.

James and Frances had three children: Robert Dawson Wright born June 12, 1796 in Savanna (Savannah), Chatham County, Georgia; Nancy C. Wright was born Nov 11, 1798 in Savannah, GA; then Henry Denson Wright born May 3, 1800. James Wright sold his bookstore in 1800. By 1802 James and Frances Wright with their young children moved to Pine Ridge, Mississippi where he had a land grant. They settled there about 12 miles from Natchez.

James Wright's children were mostly grown by 1836 when he received news that youngest son Henry Denson Wright was very ill in Benton, Yazoo County, MS where he lived. James and wife and at least a daughter rushed to Mississippi to see Henry Wright who died Dec 21, 1836. James and Mary (Scoggins) [Carroll] Wright remained in Satartia, Yazoo County, Mississppi where he died in 1838, burial unknown.

James Wright sold his properties in Georgia in 1800, and probably made a return trip to Amherst County, Virginia for a short stay and visit with his parents, Robert and Margaret Wright before his move to Mississippi, because in the 1800 Amherst County Personal Property Tax List, there is a listing for '' James Wright ( Son of Robert Wright )".

Any information appreciated. Some were generous in sharing information in about 2004 but my kidneys failed and I went through some very hard health times for several years before receiving the gift of life - a transplant. I am now trying to regain research lost during that time.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
00maggie 15 Feb 2013 8:33AM GMT 
00maggie 15 Feb 2013 8:35AM GMT 
Robert Grant 15 Feb 2013 12:50PM GMT 
PamFWright 17 Feb 2013 12:19AM GMT 
00maggie 19 Mar 2013 12:28AM GMT 
Robert Grant 19 Mar 2013 3:31AM GMT 
Tina Sikes 21 Mar 2013 2:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions