[James Wright 1668 2.FTW]

Reference: Robert and Donna Gill at WorldConnect. According to this
source, James is thought to be a descendant of one of three Wright
brothers, Joshua, Thomas and Samuel Wright of Yorkshire, England who
settled in New Jersey in about 1677. Other Wrights living in that area
at that time include John Wright and his son, John Wright, Jr., alson
with Susannah Wright with her brother James Wright and a woman named
Patience Wright. Joshua Wright was granted land by William Pen in 1694
and a man named Benjamin Wright held office in Philadelphia.
Reference: "The History of Hopewell 1734-1934."
But see "Compendium of American Genealogy," by Virkus providing that
James Wright was born in 1671.
Reference: "Pioneers of Old Monocacy: The Early Settlement of Frederick
Co.,Maryland 1721-1743" by Grace L. Tracey and John P. Dern
(GenealogicalPublishing Co. 1987).
See also the following provided by Robert and Donna Gill on WorldConnect.
Reference: "History of Hopewell Friends Church" for information
regarding the will of James Wright which was proved in Frederick County,
Virginia on March 4, 1760 (see Pennsylvania Archives Series II).
Reference: "Quaker Bio Collection," by Willard Heiss.
According to Linda Coate Dudick, a good book on the Wright family is
"Charity Cook, A Liberated Woman," by Algie Newlan (Friends United Press)
which covers the life and ancestry of Charity [Wright] Cook, a daughter
of John and Rachel [Wells] Wright.

The Quakers at "Monoquesey"

Excerpts from "Pioneers of Old Monocacy:
The Early Settlement of Frederick Co., Maryland 1721-1743
by Grace L. Tracey and John P. Dern, Genealogical Publishing Co., 1987

The beginnings of a small Quaker settlement in the area near today's Buckeystown paved the way for the organization of the first religious establishment in western Maryland. The resulting "Monquesey Meeting" of the Society of Friends thus preceded the churches organized by the far more numerous German Lutherans and Reformed, as well as the Established Church of England.

The earliest of these settlers, Henry and Josiah Ballenger, were sons of Henry Ballenger, Sr. of Burlington, New Jersey. They came to Maryland sometime before November 4, 1725 when Josiah Ballenger had his first land surveyed. His tract, which he called "Josiah," was located on the Monocacy River northeast of present-day Buckeystown, some five miles south of today's city of Frederick. It was surveyed in the same month as were John van Metre's "Meadow" and Thomas Bordley's "Rocky Creek." The latter, in fact, made reference to its beginning point as "a mile above the plantation of Henry Ballenger."

Also living in this settlement, eventually (on March 23, 1734) renting land on "Carrollton," was the beloved Quaker leader James Wright, whose daughters Hannah and Mary Wright were to marry, respectively, Henry Ballenger in 1726 and Josiah Ballenger in 1727.

James Wright's other children became active participants in the Monocacy Quaker community. James Wright, Jr. and his wife Lucy, continued their association with the Meeting until the 1750s when they moved with their children to Virginia. Most of their children -- Ralph, Elizabeth, James, Ann Susanna, Boyater (no doubt Bowater!-JR) and Micajah -- were born at Monocacy. John Wright and his wife Rachel Wells, the daughter of Joseph and Margaret Wells of "Boyling Springs," were overseers of the Monocacy Meeting in 1745, though afterwards with their children -- William, Mary, Joseph, Margaret, Charity, Rachel and John Wright, Jr. -- they moved on to North Carolina. Martha Wright Mendenhall became an able Quaker leader and died in Martinsburg, (West) Virginia in 1794 at the age of 82. Elizabeth Wright married George Matthews, son of Oliver Matthews. Oliver Wright moved to what is now Hampstead in Carroll Co. and Sarah, Lydia and Ann Wright, though apparently born in the Monocacy area, left for Virginia with their parents while they were still children.
He was a Quaker minister, a Father of the Colony in Opequon, Hopewell Monthly Meeting, Virginia, near present-day Winchester, VA. Moved from Monocacy in MD to VA in about 1734 with those who acquired land via Alexander Ross and Morgan Morgan.

Pedigree #2778 & written by Helen (Wright):
James came to America with Penn's Fleet in 1682. They sailed from Bristol. His fellow passengers, also of the Quaker faith, included George Boone, and his brother Squire, the uncle and father of the now famous Daniel Boone. There is little room for doubt that the Wrights and Boones knew each other very well because they crossed the Atlantic together and settled in the same Quaker Colony in Pennsylvania.

Over the years the Quaker Colonies in Chester Co, and Bucks Co, Pa. became more crowded with new Quaker converts from the British Isles, a number of "old" families sold their property to the new arrivals and moved on down the Eastern Sea Board seeking new land. As usual when Quaker families moved, they moved in company of other families of the same faith.

Old Squire Boone and his son Daniel, the Lincolns, and the Hanks, who would one day be the progenitors of Pres. Abraham Lincoln, and the famous Bryan family, were among the Quakers who travelled with the Wrights and others to a new settlement in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia in the early 1750's and established Hopewell Monthly Meeting.

The Colony settled along what was known as the Great Wagon Road, a road that wound its way through the Shenandoah Valley into the Carolinas. The Colony was located near the present day town of Benton, VA.

In early May of 1754 a young British officer named George Washington visited the colony accompanied by a famous Indian Chief named Half King, his braves, and a British army force of 150 men. George Washington was on his way to engage the French and their Indian allies to set the French-Indian War in motion.

Two years later, in May 1756, Britain almost absent mindedly got around to declaring War on France. The French retaliated with a vengeance, sending wave after wave of well armed Indian Warriors into the Shenandoah Valley, massacring men, women, and children.

(In 1759 the Quaker Colony where the Wrights lived was attacked and James and his wife Mary were killed and scalped. Soon after his parents were killed, John took his wife Rachel and children and headed for N.C., landing near the present day Greensboro, N.C.) see notes below:

The following will of James Wright was admitted to Probate Court, held for Frederick County the 1st day of March 1760 by Mary Wright, the executrix therein named who made oath thereto according to law and the same being proved by the oath of Evan Rogers, James Ballinger, two of the witnesses them that be recorded also on the motion of the said executrix who entered into bond with said Evan Rogers, James Ballinger have securitys in the?? of five hundred pounds continued according to law certificate is granted her for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF JAMES WRIGHT
I, James Wright of Opeckan in the county of Frederick and colony of Virginia being aged, but of a sound and well disposing mind and memory do make this as my last will and testament hereby revoking and disanulling all other wills that have theretofore been made or done by me.

First, my will is that my body be decently buried and all my just debts and funeral charges I leave to be defrayed at the discretion of my executrix hereinafter mentioned.

Secondly, I give bequeath and demise unto my son Thomas Wright the land and plantation whereon I now dwell with all the buildings and improvements and appurtenances thereunto belonging the which I bequeath and demise to the proper use and behoof of him, his heirs and assigns forever, it being 194 acres of patent land and he to be in full possession thereof during his natural life.

I also give and bequeath unto my wife all my goods and chattels and all my personal estate wither for a comfortable maintenance during her life or else to dispose among her children as in descretion she shall think fit or when and where she shall think fit only paying to our ten children each of them five shillings Virginia currency viz: John, James, Isaac, Lydia Wright, Mary Ballinger, Hannah Ballinger, Martha Mendenhall, Elizabeth Matthews, Ann McCool, and Sarah Pickering.

Lastly, I ordain and constitute my loving and well beloved wife, Mary Wright, sole executrix of this my last will and testament witness my hand and seal, dated Opeckan aforesaid this 14th day of this 8th month, October, 1751.

SIGNED: James Wright
Be it further remembered that I would have no appraisement upon my goods. Be it further remembered that there is 160 acres of land lately surveyed at the south side of the above said tract 60 whereof I add to the said tract lying along the said land the which I demise as above to my son Thomas Wright, this before sealing acknowledgement. In the other 100 acres I leave to my wife's disposal after my decease as also the 300 acres lately surveyed lying by Thomas Thornburgh, upon Middle Creek.
SIGNED: J. Wright
I would have no appraisement upon my goods, witness my hand and seal this 30th day of April, 1753.
Signed, sealed, testified and declared to be the last will and testament of James Wright in the presence of testis:
Evan Rogers
James Ballinger
Sarah Rogers

They were members of the religious society of Friends (Quakers). Abt 1725 they moved to the northern part of Maryland (Monocacy Creek a few miles south of the present city of Frederick, MD.) , where they lived until 1734 at which time they settled in Frederick Co, VA, and became members of Friends Hopewell Monthly Meeting.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LeonBWood 16 Oct 2002 1:15AM GMT 
dmoertel 22 Dec 2002 5:10AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions