Search for content in message boards

Sturgis, MS families, ie Davis Plantation

Sturgis, MS families, ie Davis Plantation

Posted: 6 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jun 2001 6:24PM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Hickman, Frazier, Alexander, Hemphill, Rogers, Quinn
Would like info on any of the families listed from Sturgis, Oktibbeha County, MS. My grandfather, John Hickman's stepdad was John Lee Hickman (bio. John Frazier)married to Rosetta Alexander and down to the Hemphills.

Also, my grandmother is from the Davis Clan. The story she tells is that her ancestors were part of the Davis plantation and that after the emancipation, the Davis' gave their land to their slaves and then moved North to Ohio. My grandmother is trying to find the letter her grandpa received in the 1920s from the descendants of the Davis plantation owners..very nice letter apparently...would love to get in contact w/any Davis', black or white from Sturgis, also the Rogers and the Quinns who originally came from Ireland..my gg-grandma Daisy Quinn was part Native American and had bright red hair too! Can anyone help me further here? Thanks.

Re: Sturgis, MS families, ie Davis Plantation

Posted: 28 Jan 2003 2:52AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2006 2:30AM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS
MY RELATIVE ARE FROM STURGIS. I SPOKE WITH MY UNCLE JAMES DAVIS AND HE KNEW A JOHN LEE HICKMAN AND ROSETTA. WAS THERE A MEMBER IN THE FAMILY MOTHER OR DAUGHTER THEY ROSE OR SOMETHING CLOSE TO THAT.

PLEASE USE LVDAVIS22@AOL.COM

Posted: 9 May 2010 9:05AM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Rambus, Manning,
Hello I have researched my g g g grandfather to have had the nam Thomas Davis married to Margaret Davis living in Sturgis Oktibbeha, he came from SC with the slave owner who might have been a child of Thomas the slave owner. My gg grandmother would have been one of their daughters Lucretia Rambus who married Henry Rambus of Clay, MS (creasy, crecia, lutcrecia) i've seen her name spelled several different. I've also heard that creasy's mother was a full blood indian women, unable to located where her mother was born, but My grandmother julianne Manning (Creasy's daughter) married Will Manning then moved to Arkansas. Julianne always claimed to have been Blackfoot indian, she really did look a indian she lived to be 107 but I can only verified she lived to be age 96 being born in Clay MS in 1882. I recall the storied she told me of how her mother was a full blood indian. Any information on contact would be great to have, regardless of white/black or Indian, we can't change history for all of those who can't imagine being related to someone outside their race. Thanks much family.

Posted: 30 Aug 2010 6:05AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: rambus, manning, oliver
my name is virginia manning, and I am was born in nashville, Tn. I google Daisy Rambus (my mother)living in MS. And this post appeared. my ggrandmother' name is Lucretia Rambus and my grandfather's name (her son)is Dee Rambus born in west point ms;, dying in Chicago in 1972. I have been told by my father Thad Manning Jr that he lived with my mothers family. And often spoke of Lucretia and Dee relationship. I have been told that I am descendents of the blackfoot indians and often told my features are european and native american than american black. I am so excited to have read this post. Please email theflight@ymail.com. I am interested in finding more information. Also, the first record of a male Manning and female Rambus marrying in the late 1800's.

Posted: 13 Apr 2011 7:46PM GMT
Hi, I read your message concerning Thomas Davis. He was my g-g-g-gradfather. I am decended from Missaniah, his daughter. Actually, Thomas, Nancy Ann and Missianiah are buried in Morgantown, behind the old plantation house. The cemetery was the family cemetery until Thomas died, then it was given to the black church near there. The land is privately owned now. I have pictures of many of the graves there. Thomas and his family came from South Carolina, to Alabama. He was the sheriff there in Pickens county around 1830, then moved to Sturgis. I would love to share any information I have if you are interested.

Posted: 19 Apr 2011 8:41PM GMT
Surnames: davis
I would love to share any information. Were u able to open my on line tree

Posted: 24 Apr 2011 3:21AM GMT
I believe that the below deed refers to your Thomas Davis:

Written: April 27, 1858

Rutherford Co TN Deed Book 9 page 508

This indenture made this 27th day of April 1858 by and between Thomas Davis of the County of Oktibbeha and State of Mississippi of the first part and Benajah Cartwright of the county of Gibson and State of Tennessee of the other
part witnesseth that the said Thomas Davis for and in consideration of the sum of one hundred and fifty dollars to him in hand has by the said Benajah Cartwright the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged hath given, guaranteed, bargained, sold, alienated, conveyed and confirmed unto the said B. Cartwright his heirs and assignees forever all the right title claim and interest that I the said Thomas Davis hath and in a certain tract or parcel of land situated lying and being in the county of Rutherford and State of Tennessee in range and section on the waters of Bradley’s Creek one legacy of a dower of land
fell to me as heir of my mother, Elizabeth Davis deceased laid off to be twenty acres of land known as the Thomas Davis draw of the tract owned by my mother Elizabeth Davis deceased be the same more or less to have and to hold
the aforesaid land with all and singular the rights, profits, emoluments, hereditaments and appurtenances of in and to the same belonging or in anywise appertaining to the only proper use and behoove of him the said B. Cartwright
his heirs and assigns forever and the said Thomas Davis for himself his heirs executors and administrators do covenant and agree with the said B. Cartwright his heirs their heirs and assigns that the before recited land and bargained
premises he will warrant and forever defend against the right title in trust or claim of all and every person whatsoever in witness whereof I have hereunto
set my hand and affixed my seal the date above written in presence of testimony.

The State of Mississippi Thomas Davis (seal)
Oktibbeha County

Personally appeared before me William C. Bishop clerk of the probate court of
said County which is a court of record the within named Thomas Davis who
acknowledged he signed sealed and delivered the foregoing deed of conveyance
to Benajah Cartwright on this day of its date and for the purposes therein
stated as his own proper act and deed given under my hand and seal of office
at office at Starkville the 27th day of April 1858. The word signed sealed
and delivered interlined by me, William C. Bishop, clerk.

The State of Mississippi
Oktibbeha County I David Ames of the Probate Court in and for
said County do hereby certify that Wm C. Bishop whose name is subscribed to
the foregoing certificate is and was at and before the time of his subscribing
the same the acting clerk of the probate court in and for said county duly
elected sworn and commissioned to act as such and that his said certificate is
in due form given under my hand and private seal having no official seal of
office 27th day of April AD 1858.

David Ames (seal)
Register July 3rd 1858 Judge of Probate

Posted: 25 Apr 2011 10:13PM GMT
Surnames: Walthall, Bowman, Thurman, Cheatham
While pursuing the track of distant relatives in Cumberland County, Ky., I came across your family tree connecting to William Archer Walthall. I think at the time of posting your tree you may have lacked full information on his parents. His father was Marley Pleasant Walthall, his mother was Miranda Thurman, the daughter of Littleberry Thurman and Permelia Branch Bowman. Littleberry Thurman died about 1843-1845 in Burkesville, Cumberland County, Ky. and Permelia remarried, probably by the end of 1845, to John H. Walthall, who was 8 years younger than she. William A. Walthall is in their household in both the 1850 and 1860 census enumerations, and apparently both his parents had died before 1850. In 1850 the Census lists Permelia as "Amelia" Walthall and in 1860 as P.B. Walthall. Permelia was a daughter of Pleasant Bowman and Elizabeth Cheatham; she was a sister to Granville and Lenearis Bowman, both of Cumberland County and Wilson Bowman who moved on to Hardin County, Ky. Her sister Frances married Vincent Taylor and raised a large family in Cumberland County. Her sister Marley Pleasant Bowman married William Archibald Walthall and their son Marley Pleasant Walthall married his first cousin Miranda Thurman, and they were the parents of William Archer Walthall. The Bowmans moved to Cumberland County, Ky from Chesterfield Co., Va. about 1805-1810. I have not yet tracked and documented the relationship between Marley P. Walthall and John H. Walthall, but Permelia could have married a cousin or uncle of Marley Pleasant Walthall, her deceased nephew and son-in-law. Permelia was born in 1794 and died about 1863, or so; at least, she has not been found in the 1870 census by any researchers posting on sites searchable by Ancestry.com.
The Bowman line can be traced back to Robert Bowman Sr who settled in the Roxdale and Bermuda Hundred area of Henrico County, Va. on the southside of the James River about 1655. The line from Robert Sr to Pleasant is Robert Jr m. Sarah, Edward Sr (abt 1655-1722) m. Margaret?, Abraham Sr. (abt 1700-1782) m. Elizabeth Hatcher, their son, probably an Abraham Jr. but sometimes referred to as John Abraham or as Daniel, this son predeceased his father, leaving a widow Ann (Pleasant) Farmer Bowman and son, Pleasant Bowman, both of whom are named and provided for in Abraham Sr.'s will. Pleasant was born abt 1762 and died abt 1825.
Pleasant was a ggg grandson of Robert Sr. William Archer Walthall was a double g grandson of Pleasant Bowman.

I descend through Edward Bowman Sr.'s brother John (JR) Bowman. I'm an 8 g grandson of Robert Sr. I think that makes William Archer my grandfather's 6th cousin, meaning he's my 6th cousin twice removed.

You may already have all this, because your posts I found on William Archer were from ten years ago, but in case you do not have it and have any interest, I pass it along for your review.

Jim Bowman
Cherryville, N.C.
tarheeljim@yahoo.com

Posted: 25 Apr 2011 11:58PM GMT
Jim

Please see my response to your earlier posting to me. This thread is a completely different line.

Miranda (Marandy) Walthall was not a Thurman. But she gave birth to a Thurman child per dna testing.

Deborah Thurman Parks

Posted: 20 May 2011 12:49AM GMT
Hi can anyone give me any info on Monroe Davis the son of john Davis. Mother was patsy Davis. Which was African and Indian descent. Located in Sturgis also...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic