Search for content in message boards

Georgia Tann and the Tennessee Childrens Home Society black market baby operations

Replies: 11

Georgia Tann and the Tennessee Childrens Home Society black market baby operations

P.J. (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2006 2:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
1500 children that were stolen & adopted out by Georgia Tann.
Just wanted to remind those who may have been children stolen from this time period.

I am unsure which of the websites on the bottom still work but have included them for reference. Check with the State of Tennessee to see if any laws have been updated concerning Adoption records since 1999.
===========================================
Georgia Tann was employed as a field agent for the Mississippi Children's Home Society in 1919, and perhaps even earlier than 1919. Georgia later established an orphanage in Memphis, Tennessee and became notorious for stealing and selling literally hundreds of babies.
There is no doubt that the black market flourished in the 1930s and 1940s in Tennessee, New York and elsewhere. A U.S. Senate subcommittee in 1955 heard testimony about rings in Georgia, Florida, Alabama and Wichita.
Those hearings were convened partly in response to the misdeeds of Georgia Tann, the director of a respected children's home in Memphis, Tenn. Authorities discovered in 1950 that, for more than a decade, hundreds of the homes' children had been part of adoption-for-profit schemes.
Some newborns were stolen from mothers who were told that their babies had died. Older children were taken from poor families after a corrupt judge terminated parental rights.
Tann died of cancer days before the investigation was completed, but the state later won a civil lawsuit against her estate.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is one of the places to write for birth & adoption records for children from the Tennessee Children's Home Society Scandel.
Tennessee Right To know
Attention: Danny Glad
P.O.Box 34334 Memphis, Tn. 38134
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Access to Adoption Records

On September 27, 1999 the Supreme Court of Tennessee at Nashville issued an opinion in the case of PROMISE DOE, ET AL., VS. DONALD SUNQUIST, ET. AL and upheld a new adoption records law that was to take effect July 1, 1996.
After more than three years of litigation, the Supreme Court concluded that the disclosure of adoption records created on or after March 16, 1951 does not impair the vested rights or violate the right to privacy under the Tennessee constitution. This ruling by the Supreme Court allows the Department of Children's Services to begin processing requests for services to persons eligible to have access to their adoption records. The department is able to act under provisions of Tennessee Code Annotated §36-1-12 ( c ) to provide access to adoption records, sealed adoption records, sealed records, post adoption records, or records from any other information source that were created on or after March 16, 1951.
Adoption records may be released pursuant to court order as provided in Tennessee Code §36-1-138. If any adoption was attempted or occurred before March 16, 1951, the law affecting services available to eligible persons was effective July 1, 1995. Adoption records for eligible persons are available to those surrendered for the purpose of adoption; for adoptions which were filed and dismissed or not completed, and the record was closed or sealed prior to March 16, 1951; and for any records maintained at any time by the Tennessee Children's Home Society. The adoption record includes sealed adoption records, post-adoption records, court records, adoption agency and Department of Health Vital records.

For more information, call the office of Post Adoption Services at 615-532-5637.
Tennessee State Vital Records Office
Tennessee Vital Records
Central Services Building, 1st Floor
421 5th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37247-0450
(615) 741-1763
Credit Card request: (615) 741-0778
Fax: (615) 726-2559

Overview of Tennessee Adoption Information

TENNESSEE In Tennessee, adult adoptees (age 25) may request the Department of Human Services to attempt to locate their birth parent(s) and seek consent to the release of identifying information. If the birth parent objects, the information will not be released. If the Department is unable to locate the birth parent(s), identifying information will be released.
Tenn. Code Ann. 36-1-141.
UPDATE:
birth siblings may be reunited at age 18
Tennessee Department of Human Services
Post-Adoption Services
400 Deaderick Street
Nashville, TN 37219-1403

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TN_CHS_GENEALOGY. A mailing list for anyone interested in finding the ancestors of those whose lives were influenced by Georgia Tann and the Tennessee Childrens Home Society black market baby operations. To subscribe send "subscribe" to tn_chs_genealogy-l-request@rootsweb.com (mail mode) or tn_chs_genealogy-d-request@rootsweb.com (digest mode).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some stories of two of the 1500 children that were stolen & adopted out by Georgia Tann.

jmmer
My name is Judi and I am 54 years of age. I was stolen by Georia Tann in 1947 and brought to California in March of 1948. I am searching for my birth records as well as the possibility of locating any living relatives such as possible brothers, sisters, cousins or anyone who might still be living.
From the records my adoptive parents have given me, my birth name was Judy Ann Cason, born in Nashville, TN November 28, 1947. Any information you may have that would help me locate either my natural parents, their family or my birth records would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any assistance in this quest.

"I was one of the many children whose adoption was handled through Georgia Tann in Memphis, TN.
Through the evil of this lady, many mothers lost their children and many children were stolen and sold. I was very fortunate to find my birthmother after 61 YEARS and to find her still in good health despite her age. I have been accepted warmly by her and her family and I finally have the question "Who am I" answered. I was lucky enough to finally (after many many years of searching) to obtain the records and find the information that led me to my mother. I have copies of telegrams and other documents that were sent between Ms. Tann and Ms. Elrod concerning my adoption and transportation to my place of adoption. Along with these records there is also names of two other children taken from the home and placed on board a train headed for Chattanooga. Three babies were taken so my adoptive family could "take their pick". Sounds kind of cruel but lots of money was paid to Ms. Tann for these babies. My wish is that all of those searching might be as lucky as I was.
Record 1958

Hope this helps someone,
P.J.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
P.J. 20 May 2006 8:14AM GMT 
sesleem 4 Sep 2006 5:13AM GMT 
sesleem 4 Sep 2006 5:16AM GMT 
sesleem 4 Sep 2006 5:18AM GMT 
RegNMINiles 18 Jun 2007 3:08AM GMT 
thinkpeople 18 Jun 2007 5:05AM GMT 
jann741 11 Jul 2007 3:45AM GMT 
thinkpeople 12 Jul 2007 7:08AM GMT