Search for content in message boards

Columbiana County Reeders

Replies: 12

Re: Columbiana County Reeders

Linda Roberts (View posts)
Posted: 7 Nov 2004 4:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
There may be information on Merrick/Smith at the Wrightstown MM, Bucks Co, PA.

I did see your writeup on Beaver Co, PA but I don't know of any MM houses in that area.

Regrettably, I do not know a township for them in Bucks; however it could have been Upper Makefield Township.

Here is what I have on the Merrick/Smith/Reeder connection in that area. It is not very extensive.

Descendants of John Merrick

Generation No. 1

1. JOHN1 MERRICK was born Abt. 1677 in Weston-Under-Penyard, Herefordshire England, and died 1732 in Pennypack Creek, Philadelphia, PA (Another source says 1752?). He married ELEANOR SMITH February 1702. She was born Abt. 1682 in Weston-Under-Penyard, Herefordshire, England.

Children of JOHN MERRICK and ELEANOR SMITH are:
i. ELEANOR "MYRICK"2 MERRICK, b. September 29, 1719, Lower Dublin, Montgomery/Philadelphia, PA; d. Bef. 1800, Prob. Bucks Co, PA (not in will); m. CHARLES "BILES?" REEDER, August 09, 1736, Wrightstown MM, Bucks Co. PA; b. June 24, 1713, Maidenhead, NJ (another source says June 21, 1713); d. September 02, 1804, Pine Grove, Upper Makefield Twp, Bucks County, PA.

Notes for CHARLES "BILES?" REEDER:
March 1737: Charles signed a petition presented to the court of quarter sessions to have the London company's lands attached to Wrightstown, or to be erected into a township by itself. This appears to have been the earliest action toward the
organization of what is now Upper Makefield.

Note: 1746: bought 200 acres of Samuel Carey in Upper Makefield Twp.

Note: February 22, 1795: named one of the executors for Daniel Church, Upper Makefield Twp.

Note: Upper Makefield Township Property and Tax List 1779
Charles Reeder

Note: Will Book 7, page 18: Charles Reeder, Upper Makefield Twp, yeoman. June 16, 1800. Proved September 8, 1804. Dr. Isaac Chapman exr. Sons Joseph, Merrick, Abraham, David, Jesse, Benjamin, John. Dau. Eleanor Reeder. Gdsn. Richard Hovenden. Wits: Joseph Tomlinson Jr., John Rose. 1 1 2 2

Sources:
1) Name: THE HISTORY OF BUCKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA. from the discovery of the Delaware to the present time by W. W. H. Davis, A.M., 1876 and 1905 editions
Name: Abstracts of Bucks Co, PA, Wills, 1685 - 1785 Author: F. Edward Wright Bucks County, PA, wills executed 1685-1785, originally abstracted under the auspices of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.

===============

So named Charles Biles Reeder by Ernestine Siegel. No other record found to substantiate.

INDEX Will Book 7 Bucks Co, PA 1804-1808
Will of REEDER, Charles. Upper Makefield Twp. September 8, 1804. 7.18.

Abstracts of Bucks Co, PA Wills 1785-1825 , Bucks Co, Wills Book 7

Page 18. Charles Reeder, Upper Makefield Twp., yeoman. June 16, 1800.
Proved September 8, 1804.
Dr. Isaac Chapman exr. Sons Joseph, Merrick, Abraham, David, Jesse,
Benjamin, John. Dau. Eleanor Reeder. Gdsn. Richard Hovenden.
Wits: Joseph Tomlinson Jr., John Rose.

From the Published History of Lycoming County Pennsylvania edited by John F. Meginness; 1892
CHAPTER L. BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. BORORGH OF HUGHSVILLE, AND WOLF (INCLUDING PICTURE ROCKS), SHREWSBURY, AND PENN TOWNSHIPS.

CHARLES REEDER was born in England, June 24, 1713, and came to America in 1734. In 1737 he married Eleanor Merrick, and they were the parents of eleven children: Joseph, born September 3, 1738; Charles, June 15, 1743; Benjamin, March 20, 1746; Jesse, August 25, 1748; David, May 3, 1750; Abraham, July 8, 1752; Merrick, July 31, 1754; Hannah, August 15, 1756; John, November 20,1761; Mary, September 10 , 1764, and Job. The parents of these children were both members of the Society of Friends. The will of Charles Reeder, Sr., was made June 16, 1800, and admitted to probate on the 8th of September, 1804. Benjamin Reeder settled in Shamokin, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania. Jesse Reeder was drowned when a young man while fishing in the Delaware river. Job Reeder was born in New Jersey while his parents were temporarily sojourning in that State, having been driven by the Indians from their home in Bucks county, Pennsylvania. He removed to Lycoming county and his sons, Samuel and Joseph, settled in Erie county, Pennsylvania.

Linda's Note: I question the born in England statement, however, I cannot disprove.

CHAPTER XV. THE NINETEENTH CENTURY BEGINS. ENUMERATION OF TAXABLES FOR 1800 - THEIR NAMES AND OCCUPATIONS -
Lycoming.- Charles Reeder, innkeeper;
======

One genealogy report lists his middle name as "Biles"

7.18. Charles Reeder, Upper Makefield Twp., yeoman.
June 16, 1800. Proved September 8, 1804.

Dr. Isaac Chapman exr.
Sons Joseph, Merrick, Abraham, David, Jesse, Benjamin, John.
Dau. Eleanor Reeder. Gdsn. Richard Hovenden.
Wits: Joseph Tomlinson Jr., John Rose.

Charles Reeder b. 21 Jun 1713, Maidenhead, NJ, m. 9 Aug., 1736, in Wrightstown, Bucks Co., PA, Eleanor Merrick, b. 29 Sept. 1719, Lower Dublin, Phil. PA. Charles died 2 Sept., 1804, Doylestown, Bucks Co., PA.

At the March term, 1737, a petition, signed by 20 of the inhabitants,
viz: John Palmer, Daniel Palmer, William Russell Alexander Rickey, William
Lee, Eleazer Doane, Richard Hough, Edward Bailey, Thomas Smith, Richard
Parsons, John Atkinson, John Osmond, John Trego, Joseph Tomlinson, Charles
Reeder, James Tomlinson, John Brown, John Wall, John Gaill [Caill*] and
John Whiteacre, was presented to the court of quarter sessions. The
petitioners represented themselves as living on that part of the manor of
Highlands called "Goldney's and company's land." i.e. the London company,
that the township is so large, containing 22,000 acres, and the lands
referred to have become so thickly settled that the township officers
cannot discharge their duties toward all the inhabitants, that the
constable does not know the bounds of the township, and frequently returns
the names of persons taxed with the inhabitants of Wrightstown. For these
reasons the petitioners asked to have the said company's lands attached to
Wrightstown, or to be erected into a township by itself. This appears to
have been the earliest action toward the organization of what is now Upper
Makefield, and that it led to that result, although we have not been able
to find the record of it.

Note the mention of John Trego in this petition as well as John Atkinson.

THE HISTORY OF BUCKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA, CHAPTER XXIX, UPPER MAKEFIELD, 1737
from the discovery of the Delaware to the present time by W. W. H. Davis, A.M.,
1876 and 1905* editions..

The Reeder were early settlers in the township, but we do not know the
time they came in. In 1746 Charles Reeder bought 200 acres of Samuel
Carey; his will was executed June 16, 1800, and admitted to probate
September 8, 1804. This plantation was sold by his executor to John
Chapman in 1806. He had two children, of whom the late Merrick Reeder was
the eldest son. There were Merrick in Middletown, where John M. bought a
farm in 1759, and died in 1765, leaving six children, [but Charles, of
Upper Makefield, was not one of them.]

=============

The notes I have stored for the family that Jesse Reeder was born into follow. They are quoted from a family genealogy "THIRTEEN GENERATIONS OF REEDER IN AMERICA" compiled by Rollin A. REEDER, around 1969... Rollin Reeder died in 1975.
FOURTH GENERATION

"Charles Reeder, son of Joseph Reeder was born 6/24/1713 at Maidenhead, N.J. He died 9/2/1804. His will 6/16/1800 - 9/8/1804. On 8/9/1736, he married Eleanor Merrick, dau. of John and Eleanor (Smith) Merrick, who was born 9/29/1719. They were the parents of eleven children:
Joseph born 9/03/1738,
Charles born 6/15/1744
Benjamin born 3/29/1746. (He married and settled in Northumberland County, Pa.),
Jesse born 8/25/1748, (drowned in the Delaware River, when a young man),
David born 5/03/1750 (Married Elizabeth Montgomery in 1776),
Abraham born 7/08/1752 (Married Elizabeth Lee of Wrightstown in 1780),
Merrick born 7/31/1754 (Married Elizabeth Collins in 1773),
Anna born 8/15/1756,
Eleanor born 2/03/1758,
John born 11/29/1761,
Mary born 9/15/1764
Job who was born in New Jersey while his parents were temporarily sojourning in that State, having been driven by the Indians from their home in Bucks County, Pa. Job moved to Lycoming County and his sons, Samuel and Joseph, settled in Erie County, Pa."

"Charles Reeder purchased 200 acres of land in Upper Makefield Twp., about the year 1765, as has been ascertained from Book 11, page 402, found in the Recorder's Office in the Doylestown, Bucks County, Pa. Courthouse. The property adjoined lands of Lott Gibbons, Thomas Stackhouse and Ezra Crossdale."

"The will of Charles Reeder was made June 16, 1800, (in Book 7, Page 18). In this he makes bequests as follows: To my son Joseph Reeder a discharge from all monies owing by him to his father. To my son Merrick 25 Lbs. and a discharge from all monies owing by him to his father. To my daughter Mary 75 Lbs. To my son Abraham 200 Lbs., 15 Lbs. which he is indebted to me. To my grandson Richard Hovender 5 Lbs. His executors were to see his Plantation for the best price obtainable and divide the proceeds among his grandchildren; Benjamin, David, Abraham, Jesse, Joseph, Eleanor, and John Reeder. The Executors were Dr. Issac Chapman -- and the Witnesses were Joseph Tomlinson and John Rose."

More About CHARLES "BILES?" REEDER:
Fact 1: 2-Furman for data p 57 death date handwritten in my copy

Marriage Notes for ELEANOR MERRICK and CHARLES REEDER:
29 AUG 1736 in order granted by Abraham Chapman Esq to marry
ii. JOHN MERRICK, m. HANNAH HULME.

Linda

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Linda Roberts 7 Nov 2004 11:13PM GMT 
allenfam66 9 May 2010 5:15AM GMT 
RuAndre 12 Apr 2007 10:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions