Descendants of Jane Parris
Generation No. 1
1. JANE2 PARRIS (PARRIS1) was born January 1842 in SCREVEN CO. GEORGIA, and died July 17, 1927 in BRINSON PLACE, BURKE CO. GA.1. She met (1) JACOB ELLISON. She married (2) ARON MARS/CHANDLER June 16, 1867 in Burke County Ga.2.
Notes for JANE PARRIS:
Jane mother's name was Millie Hurst. Millie who was part Cherokee or Creek was a run away slave and to solve the problem the slave master cut off her leg. Millie and her husband (last name Hurst) were very dark skinned. After having several children that were too black to work in the house, Millie became pregnant by the her white owner (last name Parris). Jane was born therefore because there was a need for a house slave who met her owners color requirements. Jane had a younger full brother who was born for similar reasons. He, the brother, became a door man and Jane became a mid life. -( Told by Bessie Griffin 1/98)
Jane or Janie as many in the family remember her by, was born January 1, 1842 (1900 census). As for as the family can remember she was most of the time living with white people. She married twice. Her first husband was Jocob Ellison. They had four children ( Abram, Crawford, Julia, and Mary). Jacob died in 1866 ( Juttie Ellison -" he died when Crawford was 3 or 4 years old").
Her second husband , Aron Mars/Chandler, was born October 1815(1900 census). They was married July 17, 1867. They had seven children ( Mett, Jimmy, Juddie, Quinnie, Joe Ann, Georgia, and Carrie).
Jane had a white half sister who was call Vicey Parris and two white half brothers Mose and Bob(Robert) Parris. They were English or English decent. She had a white first cousin who was a blacksmith in Sardis, Ga. His name was Henry Prescott. Prescott's son bought Crawford Ellison a farm in Scriven County. ( Told by Juttie Ellison 8/1991)
Jane was a house slave until she was about 21 years old. When she was about nine or ten she developed an infected finger. Her complains to her white mistress brought about the amputation of her finger when she was asked to lay it on the table so that it could be inspected.(told by Bessie Griffin, Georgia Jones, and Frankie Higgins)
The 1900 census cites Jane-married to Aron Chandler for 30 years, black, and had given birth to 16 children. She and Aron are listed as illiterate but both Georgia and Quinnie who were living with them at the time were in school and could read and write.
She died in July of 1927 at Brinson place in Burke Co. Ga. Her body was claimed by some unknown white( Blunts??) people and they had her embalmed which was unusual for blacks at that time. She was buried at Beech Branch Baptist Church.
1842 ------- Jane was born
1861 -------- Civil war began. Jane was 18 yrs. old. Crawford was born.
1863 ------- Emancipation Proclamation, Jane was 21. She was freed Jan. 1. Julia was born.
1865 -------- Civil War Ended. Jane was 23.
1866 --------- Jacob died. Jane was 24.
1867 -------- Jane re-married (25yrs. old) Aron Mars (52 yrs. old) Mary Ellison was born.
1900 -------- Census cites Jane married to Aron Chandler, 16 Children. Georgia and Quinnie living with them.
1920 --------- Census cites Jane living with Zollie and Fannie Utley.
1927 --------- Died at the Brinson (75 yrs. old) Place Burke Co., Ga.
* 1900 census National Archives
Notes for ARON MARS/CHANDLER:
HE WAS BELIEVED TO HAVE CHANGED HIS NAME TO CHANDLER AFTER HE MARRIED.
Children of JANE PARRIS and JACOB ELLISON are:
2. i. JULIA3 ELLISON, b. July 1863; d. 1929.
3. ii. MARY ELLISON, b. July 1867.
4. iii. ABRAM ELLISON, d. 1912.
5. iv. CRAWFORD ELLISON, b. October 1861.
Children of JANE PARRIS and ARON MARS/CHANDLER are:
v. JUDDIE3 CHANDLER.
vi. JIMMY CHANDLER.
vii. CARRIE CHANDLER.
viii. METT CHANDLER.
Notes for METT CHANDLER:
Died went he was 13 years old.
6. ix. GEORGIA ROSEVELT CHANDLER, b. March 27, 1883, GIRARD GA; d. August 1, 1951, GREENSBORO, N.C. (MAPLEWOOD).
7. x. JOE ANN CHANDLER, b. 1884.
xi. QUNNIE CHANDLER, b. December 1885.
Generation No. 2
2. JULIA3 ELLISON (JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born July 1863, and died 1929. She married JEFFERSON UTLEY December 23, 1880 in BURKE COUNTY, GA..
Children of MARY ELLISON and FLOYD GRIFFIN are:
9. i. OSIE4 GRIFFIN, b. April 1894.
10. ii. WILLIAM GRIFFIN, b. January 1894.
11. iii. JAMES GRIFFIN, b. December 1898.
4. ABRAM3 ELLISON (JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) died 1912. He married IDA GODBEE.
Children of ABRAM ELLISON and IDA GODBEE are:
i. GEORGE4 WIKERSON.
Notes for GEORGE WIKERSON:
George and his brother Henry were hung in Waynesboro after they were arrested for killing a black man and beating the jailer.
ii. HENERY WIKERSON.
5. CRAWFORD3 ELLISON (JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born October 18614. He married LULA STREAGLERS December 14, 1887 in SCREVEN CO. GA., daughter of ARCHIBALD STRIGGLES and ELIZA LOVETTE.
Notes for CRAWFORD ELLISON:
CRAWFORD ,THE HALF BROTHER OF GEORGIA ROSEVELT WILLIAMS, SHOT AND KILLED JOHN HENRY BARGERON "JUD"*ON NOVEMBER 20, 1903. THE ARGUMENT STARTED, IT WAS SAID, WHEN ON THAT SUNDAY MORNING JOHN STUCK ONE OF CARWFORD'S CHILDREN WITH A BUGGY WHIP.SOME MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY SAY THAT IT STARTED LONG BEFORE, OVER A WOMAN. GEORGIA WAS PREGNANT WITH JANNIE "TIT" AT THE TIME.
CRAWFORD WAS NOTORIOUS FOR BEING MEAN AND REVENGEFUL. HE WAS IN SEVERAL OTHER SHOOTINGS AND WAS SAID TO HAVE KILLED AT LEAST ONE OTHER PERSON.
HIS FATHER WAS A WHITE MAN AND ALWAYS GOT HIM OUT OF TROUBLE. CRAWFORD OWNED LAND IN BURKE COUNTY, GA. GIVEN TO HIM BY HIS FATHER. HE HAS SEVERAL CHILDREN. THE GIRLS WERE VERY PRETTY. CRAWFORD LATER LEFT BURKE COUNTY AND MOVED TO DETROIT MICHIGAN. IT WAS SAID THAT HE WAS FALSELY ACCUSED OF KILLING A WHITE MAN WHILE GAMBLING. IRONIC LY, JOHN HENRY JR.
"BUI" SON OF JOHN HENRY "JUD", AT THE AGE OF 16 OR 17 WENT TO DETROIT TO STAY WITH HIS UNCLE WHO SAW AFTER HIM UNTIL HE WAS A MAN. THE ELLISON, TO THIS DAY, ARE IN DETROIT.------ TOLD BY BESSIE L. GRIFFIN
*1ST HUSBAND OF GEORGIA ROSEVELT WILLIAMS
From the 1910 census:
Living in Screven County, Georgia -
Wife: Lula (called Lucy by the family) - age 41 - married 23 years at time of census
Children and ages:
Jamie 20 (male)
Freddie 16 (female)
zollie 12 (male)(listed as lollie)
Juddson 19months( listed as judson)
Notes for LULA STREAGLERS:
THE FAMILY CALLED OR KNEW HER AS LUCY BUT THE 1910 CENSUS CITE HER NAME AS LULA.
Children of CRAWFORD ELLISON and LULA STREAGLERS are:
12. i. JACOB OTIS4 ELLISON, b. February 29, 1888.
13. ii. JAMES CHANDLER ELLISON, b. September 12, 1889.
14. iii. MATTHEW GRAY ELLISON, b. March 25, 1891.
15. iv. FREDDIE LEE ELLISON, b. December 20, 1892.
16. v. VIOLA ELLISON, b. March 27, 1896; d. December 18, 1995.
17. vi. MAMIE ELLISON, b. August 2, 1894.
18. vii. ZOLLIE CRAWFORD ELLISON, b. November 30, 1897.
viii. CARRIE JANE ELLISON, b. September 17, 18995; m. LAWSON WILLIAMS.
ix. JOHN ROLIN ELLISON, b. April 27, 19016; Adopted child.
19. x. ABRAHAM ARCHIE ELLISON, b. April 17, 1901.
20. xi. FLOYD WASHINGTON ELLISON, b. November 17, 1902.
xii. LULA ELLISON, b. December 17, 19037.
21. xiii. EMMA LEE ELLISON, b. June 24, 1905.
xiv. EFFIE ELLISON, b. November 30, 19068.
xv. JUDDSON ELLISON, b. August 29, 19089; d. December 15, 1995, Detroit, Mich..
22. xvi. KAYLEE ELLISON, b. May 10, 1910.
23. xvii. THELMA ELLISON, b. July 14, 1914.
6. GEORGIA ROSEVELT3 CHANDLER (JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born March 27, 1883 in GIRARD GA, and died August 1, 1951 in GREENSBORO, N.C. (MAPLEWOOD)10. She married (1) JOHN HENRY BARGERON, SR December 24, 1900 in BURKE CO., GA.11. She married (2) YARDRICK WILLIAMS, SR November 26, 1905 in MUNNERLYN,GA.12, son of WILLIS WILLIAMS and DARKUS WILLIAMS.
Notes for GEORGIA ROSEVELT CHANDLER:
LIFE WITH MAMA WAS "A THING OF GREAT JOY " FOR SHE HAD ALL THE ATTRIBUTES OF A LOVING AND GIVING MOTHER.OUR MAMA, GEORGIA CHANDLER BARGERON WILLIAMS , WAS BRON MARCH 27, 1883 IN GIRARD, GEORGIA TO JANNIE AND AARON MARS (CHANDLER). SHE WAS MARRIED TO JOHN HENRY BARGERON AND TO THIS UNION WAS BORN THREE CHILDREN.(JACK, JANNIE, AND JOHN HENRY).
AFTER BEING A WIDOW FOR ONE YEAR WITH TWO SMALL CHILDREN SHE MARRIED YARDRICK WILLIAMS, SR. ON NOVEMBER 29, 1904 IN MUNNERLYN, GEORGIA. "PAPA", AS YARDRICK WAS FONDLY CALLED WAS A HARD WORKER. HE WAS A FARMER WHO WORKED THE FIELDS AND LOOKED AFTER HIS FAMILY WELL. DURING PAPA'S LIFETIME MAMA'S WHOLE INTEREST LIE IN HER HOME AND FAMILY WHICH INCLUDED THE FOLLOWING: JACK, JOHN HENRY, WILLIE, FRANKIE, JANNIE, SALLIE, THOMAS, QUINNIE, NANNIE, BESSIE, VIOLA, ERNEST, YARDRICK, AND GEORGIA.
ON SEP 3, 1924, AFTER THE EVENING MEAL, PAPA HAD A HEART ATTACK WHICH RESULTED IN HIS DEATH THAT SAME DAY. HE WAS ONLY 49 WHEN HE DIED AND WE MISSED HIM GREATLY. AFTER PAPA'S DEATH, MAMA CONTINUED TO ATTEND TO EVERYTHING IN THE HOME AND OCCASIONALLY WORKED IN THE COTTON FIELDS. IT IS DIFFICULT TO DESCRIBED MAMA'S PURITY AND SIMPLICITY OF CHARACTER. A GREAT DEAL OF WHAT WE ARE AND WHAT WE ACHIEVED WE OWE TO HER. SHE COULD BE FIRM AND WE LEARNED TO RESPECT ALL HER WISHES.
DURING THE DEPRESSION YEARS IT BECAME INCREASINGLY HARD TO MAKE ENDS MEET, TOILING IN THE GEORGIA SOIL. IN 1932 MAMA AND THE YOUNGER CHILDREN PACKED ALL THE FAMILY BELONGINGS AND JOINED THE OLDER CHILDREN, WHO WERE MARRIED WITH FAMILIES OF THEIR OWN, IN GREENSBORO, N.C. THE OLDEST SONS LIVING AT HOME, WORK AND PROVIDE FOR MAMA AND THE YOUNGER CHILDREN. MAMA ATTENDED TO EVERYTHING IN THE HOME AND WHEN THE FAMILY NEEDED SOMETHING SPECIAL, MAMA DID NOT HESITATE TO TAKE IN LAUNDERING AND IRONING.
MAMA GAVE BALANCE TO THE HOME AND LED US INTO A RICH SPIRITUAL LIFE. WE KNEW FROM EARLIEST CHILDHOOD THAT SHE PRAYED, AND SHE SAW TO IT THAT AS LITTLE GIRLS AND BOYS WE SAID OUR PRAYERS. AS WE GREW OLDER SHE ALWAYS ASKED WHETHER WE HAS SAID OUR PRAYERS. "IF YOU SAY YOUR PRAYERS EVERY NIGHT, THERE COME A TIME WHEN THEY GROW MORE MEANINGFUL TO YOU", SHE WOULD SAY, " THE CHILD WHO LEARNS TO REPEAT AFTER HIS MAMA - "NOW I LAY ME....." MAY GET A LITTLE THRILL OUT OF JUST SAYING IT, AT THE BEGINNING.
AFTER A TIME HE REALIZES THAT THERE IS SOMEONE ELSE TO WHOM HE CAN COMMIT HIS SOUL WHEN HE CANNOT TAKE CARE OF IT HIMSELF.
LATER WHEN MAMA TAUGHT US THE LORD'S PRAYER, SHE PUT HER HEART INTO IT. WE TRIED TO SAY IT AS SHE DID, AND WE HAD TO PUT A LITTLE OF OUR OWN HEART INTO IT. WE BELIEVED THAT MAMA, REALIZING THAT SHE WAS LEFT ALONE TO RAISE ELEVEN CHILDREN, KNEW THAT SHE HAD TO HAVE A SUPPORT BEYOND HERSELF. MAMA'S RELIGION MADE HER BELIEVE THAT SHE WOULD RECEIVE WHAT WAS RIGHT FOR HER BELIEVE THAT SHE WOULD RECEIVE WHAT WAS RIGHT FOR HER TO HAVE IF SHE WAS GOOD AND CONSCIENTIOUS IN HER FAITH. IF IT DID NOT COME, IT WAS BECAUSE GOD HAD NOT CONSIDERED IT RIGHT FOR HER. SHE DID NOT QUESTIONS, ONLY BELIEVED IN GOD. WE GREW IN THIS ATMOSPHERE, AWARE THAT MAMA INDEED HAD A STRENGTH BEYOND THE ENERGIES OF HER BODY. WE BELIEVED AS SHE DID BECAUSE WE WANTED THE SAME KIND OF HAVEN IN THE TIME OF STORM.
WE BELIEVE IN THE BASIC THINGS THAT MAMA BELIEVED IN. HER GOD IS OUR GOD. WE DO NOT CONDEMN PEOPLE WHO DO NOT BELIEVE AS WE DO. WE FEEL, HOWEVER, THAT EACH ONE OF US MUST HAVE SOMETHING IN WHICH HE BELIEVES WITH ALL HIS HEART, SO THAT HE NEED NEVER BE ABSOLUTELY ALONE. MAMA WAS WISE NOT TO TRY TO PERSUADED US TO BE A SHE WAS OR TO DO AS SHE DID. HER EXAMPLE WAS SUCH THAT WE WISHED TO FOLLOW IN HER FOOTSTEPS. MAMA TOOK PRIDE IN HER WORK AT NEW ZION BAPTIST CHURCH (GREENSBORO N.C.). SHE RECEIVED NO PAY FOR SERVICE, IT WAS SOMETHING SHE DID OUT OF LOVE FOR AND DUTY TO HER CHURCH. SHE LOVED THE PEOPLE IN THE CHURCH AND WAS A FAITHFUL AND LOYAL CHURCH MOTHER WHO GAVE UNSELFISHLY.
MAMA WAS WELL KNOWN AND LOVED IN THE WARNERSVILLE COMMUNITY FOR HER LOVE AND CONCERN FOR ALL-- YOUNG OR OLD, WEALTHY OR POOR. NONE OF US WILL EVER KNOW ALL THE ACTS OF GENEROSITY SHE PERFORMED FOR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS WITH TELLING HER FAMILY.
MAMA CONTINUED TO WORK HARD IN THE HOME, TAKING CARE OF THE GRANDCHILDREN, FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS--SHE NEVER TURNED AWAY A NEED THAT CAME, TO HER ATTENTION. MAMA'S INFLUENCE ON THE COMMUNITY WAS PROFOUND. SHE DID NOT DELIVER LECTURES, BUT SHE GUIDED OTHER BY HER EXAMPLE.
WE CANNOT REMEMBER A SINGLE COMPLAINT FROM MAMA, THOUGH SHE TOILED INCESSANTLY, SHE DID NOT SPEND MONEY ON PERSONAL THINGS. HER FIRST CONCERN WAS ON OUR NEEDS. SHE MAY HAVE WANTED A DRESS, A COAT, OR A PAIR OF SHOES, BUT SHE NEVER MENTIONED IT. IN LATER YEARS, WHEN THE PURCHASE OF SUCH THINGS FOR HER WOULD HAVE BEEN EASY AND A PRIVILEGES SHE SPOKE GOING, AND EVENTUALLY NOTICED HOW WEARY SHE WAS AT TIME DURING 1951. THE DAY CAME GRADUALLY WHEN SHE WAS SO WEAK THAT SHE WAS UNABLE TO LEAVE HER BED. HER ILLNESS LEAD TO A PEACEFUL DEATH ON AUGUST 1, 1951.
MAMA'S FAITH HAS LIGHTED THE WAY FOR US ALL THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES, EVEN THE HARD TIMES. HER DAY TO DAY LIVING AND THE WAY SHE ACCEPTED AND GREETED LIFE AND ITS MEANING WERE FORCES THAT SHAPED AND GUIDED OUR LIVES.
THE GENERATIONS THAT FOLLOW ARE ESPECIALLY BLESSED THAT THE FAMILY IS STILL HELD CLOSELY TOGETHER AND THAT WE ARE TOGETHER, BECAUSE WE WANT TO BE. WE OWE THIS BLESSING, AND MANY OTHER, TO HER WHOM WE CALL "GEORGIA MAMA."
North Carolina State Board Of Health
Bureau Of Vital Statistics
CERTIFICATE OF DEATH
Reg. District No. 41-95 Reg. Certificate No. 477
1. Place Of death
a. County-- Guilford b. Township c. Length of stay
d. city-- Greensboro, within city limit
e. Full name of Hospital---- 242 Whittington St. ( home of Jannie Lewis)
2. Usual Residence--- same as above
3. Name of Deceased----- Georgia Rosevelt Williams
4. Date of death--- 8/1/51 5. sex-- Female 6. Race-- Negro
7. Widowed 8. Date of Birth---- 3/27/1882 9. age--69
10. occupation---- Housewife 11. Girard, Ga. 12. Citizen--- USA
13. Farther's Name---- Aaron Chandler 14. Mother's Name---- Janie Hurst
17. Informant---- Mrs. Annie L. Camp, 2132 N. 18th St. , Phila. , Pa.
13. Cause Of Death---- Chronic cardio- vascular-Renal disease
22. I here by certify that I attended the deceased from----- Did not see
23a. W. W. Harvey, M. D. , Coroner 23b. address--- Greensboro, N. C.
23c. Date Signed--- 8/3/51 24a. Burial 24b. Date-- 8/4/51
24c. Name of Cemetery--- Maplewood Cemetery
24d. Location-- Greensboro, N. C.
Date rec'd by local reg. --- Sep. 7, 1951 Registrar's --- E. H. Ellinwood, MD
Funeral Director Sharpe & Smith, Greensboro, N.C.
Notes for YARDRICK WILLIAMS, SR:
FAMILY MOVEMENT- THE WILLIAMS FAMILY WHERE THEY LIVED - TOLD WILLIE WILLIAMS
1910---BURKE COUNTY, GA. NEAL RED PLACE, ----SHARE CROPPING
1912---MUNNERLYN, GA. FULTON JENKINS PLACE, --RENTING FARMER--QUINNIE WAS BORN
1915---JENKINS COUNTY, MILLEN, GA. ELL IX SHEW PLACE, .- SHARE CROPPING-NANNIE WAS BORN (1914)BESSIE WAS BORN (1917).
1920---JENKINS COUNTY, GA. CHARLEY PERKINS PLACE, ---LOST EVERYTHING DUE TO BANK FORECLOSURE! THE1920 CENSUS STATES THE FAMILY WAS LIVING IN JENKINS CO. IN OR NEAR A TOWN CALLED MILLEN, GA. THE FAMILY WAS PROBABLY THERE UNTIL THE FALL OR WINTER OF 1920.
1921---BURKE COUNTY,GA. HOSEY BLOUNT PLACE,. ---SHARECROPPING -YARDRICK "DIMP" WAS BORN (1922).
1924--- BURKE COUNTY, GA. DOUGLAS BRINSON PLACE,--SHARE CROPPING -GEORGIA WAS BORN (1924) --YARDRICK SR. AND JANE CHANDLER DIED.
1928--- BURKE COUNTY, GA. LASTER PLACE - OWNED BY FRANK HALL. FRANK HALL WAS AN ENGLISHMAN AND HAD TWO SISTERS KATTIE AND EFFIE WHO LIVED IN SAND HILL, GA.
1930 TO 1934--- MOVE TO GREENSBORO, N.C.
Children of GEORGIA CHANDLER and JOHN BARGERON are:
i. JACK A.4 BARGERON, b. October 9, 1901; d. June 6, 1902.
24. ii. JOHN HENRY BARGERON, JR., b. October 9, 1902, SARDIS, GA.; d. December 27, 1969, DETROIT MI..
25. iii. JANNIE BARGERON, b. February 2, 1904, BURKE COUNTY, GA.; d. April 25, 1988, GREENSBORO,N.C..
Children of GEORGIA CHANDLER and YARDRICK WILLIAMS are:
26. iv. WILLIE CHANDLER4 WILLIAMS, SR, b. August 25, 1906, SARDIS, GA..
27. v. FRANKIE MAE WILLIAMS, b. May 11, 1908, PERKINS, GA.; d. July 10, 1987, GREENSBORO, N.C..
28. vi. SALLIE JOE WILLIAMS, b. October 25, 1909.
29. vii. THOMAS JEFFERSON WILLIAMS, b. December 23, 1910, WAYNESBORO, GA.; d. March 18, 1991, GREENSBORO, N.C..
30. viii. QUINNIE ROSEVELT WILLIAMS, SR., b. August 12, 1912, MUNERLYN, GA.; d. February 11, 1993, GREENSBORO, N.C..
31. ix. NANNIE VAN WILLIAMS, b. June 6, 1914, BURKE COUNTY, GA.; d. July 12, 1983, WASHINGTON, D.C..
x. VIOLA WILLIAMS, b. September 3, 1915; d. September 6, 1915.
32. xi. BESSSIE L. WILLIAMS, b. November 11, 1917, JENKINS COUNTY, GA..
xii. ERNEST WILLIAMS, b. May 23, 1918.
33. xiii. YARDRICK WILLIAMS, SR, b. September 13, 1922.
34. xiv. GEORGIA KATE WILLIAMS, b. May 19, 1924, WAYNESBORO GA..
7. JOE ANN3 CHANDLER (JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born 1884. She married AARON BERNARD BOXTON, SR..
Children of JOE CHANDLER and AARON BOXTON are:
35. i. JULIA BERTRUDE4 BOXTON, b. September 11, 1900.
ii. JANNIE BOXTON, b. 1804.
36. iii. AARON BERNARD BOXTON, JR, b. January 15, 1806; d. February 14, 1975.
iv. JOSEPH BOXTON, b. 1807.
v. BARBARA LEAH BOXTON.
vi. ALGERNON XAVIER BOXTON.
Generation No. 3
8. ZOLLIE A.4 UTLEY (JULIA3 ELLISON, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born October 1886. He married FANNIE CLOCK.
Children of ZOLLIE UTLEY and FANNIE CLOCK are:
37. i. J. WALTER5 UTLEY, SR, b. June 1916, SARDIS, GA.
38. ii. GEORGE WASHINGTON UTLEY, SR., b. May 1919; d. September 20, 1985, GERMANTOWN HOSPITAL, PHILIDELPHIA PENN..
iii. GERALDINE UTLEY, m. STALLING.
iv. SARAH UTLEY, m. SPEARS.
v. ANNA L. UTLEY, m. WHITEHEAD.
vi. JAMES A. UTLEY, b. March 1917.
9. OSIE4 GRIFFIN (MARY3 ELLISON, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born April 1894. She married NORMAN HORTON.
Children of OSIE GRIFFIN and NORMAN HORTON are:
i. MARY5 ERNESTINE, b. October 4, 1921.
ii. VIVIAN HORTON, b. June 23, 1919; d. July 19, 1975.
10. WILLIAM4 GRIFFIN (MARY3 ELLISON, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born January 1894. He married UNKNOWN.
Child of WILLIAM GRIFFIN and UNKNOWN is:
i. FFIE FRANCES5 GRIFFIN.
11. JAMES4 GRIFFIN (MARY3 ELLISON, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born December 1898. He married MARY ALICE TOLBERT.
Child of JAMES GRIFFIN and MARY TOLBERT is:
i. DOROTHY5 GRIFFIN.
12. JACOB OTIS4 ELLISON (CRAWFORD3, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born February 29, 188813. He married ANNIEBELLE.
Notes for JACOB OTIS ELLISON:
FOUND A LISTING IN THE WAYNESBORO COURT HOUSE FOR A JOCOB L. ELLISON, MARRIED TO ADA BARGERON- NOVEMBER 27, 1898?????
Children of JACOB ELLISON and ANNIEBELLE are:
i. BETSY MAY5 ELLISON.
39. ii. JAMES ELLISON.
40. iii. LEDELL ELLISON.
iv. WILBERT ELLISON.
41. v. HILTON ELLISON.
13. JAMES CHANDLER4 ELLISON (CRAWFORD3, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born September 12, 188914. He married CASSIE.
Child of JAMES ELLISON and CASSIE is:
i. MILDRED5 ELLISON.
14. MATTHEW GRAY4 ELLISON (CRAWFORD3, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born March 25, 189115. He married MARY.
Child of MATTHEW ELLISON and MARY is:
i. LOIS5 ELLISON, Adopted child.
15. FREDDIE LEE4 ELLISON (CRAWFORD3, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born December 20, 189216. He married YULIE ROBERTS.
Children of FREDDIE ELLISON and YULIE ROBERTS are:
i. RUTH5 ELLISON.
ii. YULA ELLISON.
42. iii. NORMA LOU ELLISON.
16. VIOLA4 ELLISON (CRAWFORD3, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born March 27, 189617, and died December 18, 1995. She married HENRY BAKER.
Children of VIOLA ELLISON and HENRY BAKER are:
i. HENRY CRAWFORD5 BAKER.
43. ii. WILLIE MAE BAKER.
17. MAMIE4 ELLISON (CRAWFORD3, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born August 2, 189418. She married GREEN LOVETTE.
Children of MAMIE ELLISON and GREEN LOVETTE are:
44. i. ALVIN5 LOVETTE.
45. ii. DOROTHY LOVETTE.
18. ZOLLIE CRAWFORD4 ELLISON (CRAWFORD3, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born November 30, 189719. He married MARION.
Children of ZOLLIE ELLISON and MARION are:
46. i. LEONARD5 ELLISON, SR..
47. ii. ROBERT ELLISON.
19. ABRAHAM ARCHIE4 ELLISON (CRAWFORD3, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born April 17, 190120. He married GRACE HARGROVE.
Children of ABRAHAM ELLISON and GRACE HARGROVE are:
48. i. HAROLD5 ELLISON, SR..
49. ii. ABRAM ARCHIE ELLISON, JR..
50. iii. NATHANIEL KENNETH ELLISON.
51. iv. MELVIN ELLISON.
52. v. IOLA ELLISON.
53. vi. CYNTHIA ELLISON.
54. vii. IRENE ELLISON.
55. viii. RONALD ELLISON.
56. ix. RAYMOND ELLISON.
57. x. GREGORY ELLISON, SR..
xi. BABY BOY ELLISON.
20. FLOYD WASHINGTON4 ELLISON (CRAWFORD3, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born November 17, 190221. He married LESSIE KNIGHT.
Children of FLOYD ELLISON and LESSIE KNIGHT are:
58. i. DOROTHY5 ELLISON.
59. ii. ALBERT ELLISON.
iii. BABY GIRL ELLISON.
60. iv. LULA ELLISON.
21. EMMA LEE4 ELLISON (CRAWFORD3, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born June 24, 190522. She married FRANK GREYTON.
Children of EMMA ELLISON and FRANK GREYTON are:
i. EFFIE5 ELLISON.
61. ii. JETTIE ELLISON.
22. KAYLEE4 ELLISON (CRAWFORD3, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born May 10, 1910. She married ORANGE RAINE.
Child of KAYLEE ELLISON and ORANGE RAINE is:
i. ORANGETTA5 RAINE.
23. THELMA4 ELLISON (CRAWFORD3, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born July 14, 1914. She married DEAN ANDERSON.
Child of THELMA ELLISON and DEAN ANDERSON is:
i. HERMAN DEAN5 ANDERSON.
24. JOHN HENRY4 BARGERON, JR. (GEORGIA ROSEVELT3 CHANDLER, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born October 9, 1902 in SARDIS, GA., and died December 27, 1969 in DETROIT MI.. He married BESSIE M. MOSEY October 1968.
Notes for JOHN HENRY BARGERON, JR.:
When a face that was so dear no longer is here and a voice that is was loved is hushed, it seems that time went quickly and things were too rushes; but we ciearly remember many quiet and wonderful hours and the joys that were shared in them all. Such was the passing of John Henry Bargeron, who was born in Sardis, Georgia on October 9, 1909. he was the son of the late Henry and Georgia Chandler Bargeron. to this union was born two children, John Henry and Janie Bargeron Lewis. John Henry's mother later remarried after the death of her husband to Yardrick Williams and from this union came nine children.
He departed this life suddenly on December 27, 1969 at his home , 942 Alexandria Street, Detroit, Michigan.
He untied with the Fellowship Baptist Church, in Burke County Georgia at an early age.
He was united in Holy Matrimony to Miss Bessie M. Mosley who proceeded him in death in October 1968. John Henry was a devoted and loving husband, father and brother who did his utmost to help others.
He leaves in remorse: one adopted Daughter, Mrs. Barbara Joe of Detroit, Michigan, six sisters: Mesdames Janie Lewis, Frankie Higgins, Bessie Griffin and Georgia Jones all of Greensboro, North Carolina, Mrs. Sally Hines of Atlanta,Georgia, and Mrs. Nannie Anderson of Washington, D.C, four brothers Willie, Thomas J., Quinnie and Yardrick Williams all of Greensboro, N.C., seven grandchildren, niece, nephews and a host of relatives and friends, and one son-in-law, Alver Joe.
Child of JOHN BARGERON and BESSIE MOSEY is:
i. BARBRA JOE5 BARGERON, Adopted child.
25. JANNIE4 BARGERON (GEORGIA ROSEVELT3 CHANDLER, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born February 2, 1904 in BURKE COUNTY, GA., and died April 25, 1988 in GREENSBORO,N.C.. She married CLARENCE LEWIS, SR. December 17, 1922 in BURKE CO. GA.23, son of TOMMY LEWIS and FRANCIS BARATON.
Notes for JANNIE BARGERON:
Janie Bargeron Lewis, was born February 2, 1904, in Burke County Georgia and departed this life on April 25, 1988. She was the eldest daughter of the late Georgia and John Henry Bargeron. At an early age, she became affiliated with the Fellowship Baptist Church where she was a faithful member. In 1922, she was married to the late Clarence Lewis, Sr. To this union, ten children were born, three of whom preceded her in death.
In 1928 she moved to Greensboro, North Carolina where she joined the New Zion Baptist Church and was a faithful member throughout her life. In 1983, she was presented an award for fifty years of faithful service.
Janie was a devoted wife and loving mother. She enjoyed helping others when and wherever possible. Her family and friends can truly say that she was a giving person. She gave of her time, love and herself. She was fondly known and referred to, by children of the family and neighborhood, as â€œCarolyn Mamaâ€.
She leaves to mourn their loss, five sons, Clarence Jr., Alvin, John H., Roy and Ray Lewis; two daughters, Georgia L. Wright, and Maggie Jean Turner; four brothers, Willie, Thomas, Quinnie and Yardrick Williams; two sisters, Bessie Griffin and Georgia Jones; twenty one grandchildren, ten great grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends.
Children of JANNIE BARGERON and CLARENCE LEWIS are:
i. CLARENCE5 LEWIS, JR., b. September 12, 1923; m. REBECCA GILYARD.
62. ii. MAGGIE JEAN LEWIS, b. November 21, 1931.
63. iii. ALPHEUS LEWIS, b. May 16, 1928.
iv. ALVIN LEWIS, b. November 23, 1926; m. IRENE THOMAS.
v. JOHN HENRY LEWIS, b. June 6, 1926; m. SARAH.
64. vi. GEORGIA LEWIS, b. February 11, 1930, GREENSBORO, N.C..
65. vii. THOMAS LEWIS, b. December 31, 1938.
66. viii. RAY LEWIS, b. July 10, 1934.
67. ix. ROY LEWIS, b. July 10, 1934.
68. x. FRANCIS CAROLYN LEWIS, b. February 18, 1942, GREENSBORO, N.C.; d. May 9, 1978, GREENSBORO, N.C..
26. WILLIE CHANDLER4 WILLIAMS, SR (GEORGIA ROSEVELT3 CHANDLER, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born August 25, 1906 in SARDIS, GA.24. He married IRENE MCCULLOUGH October 8, 1933 in BURKE CO. GA.25, daughter of MOORE and VIRGINIA MCCULLOUGH.
Notes for IRENE MCCULLOUGH:
Mrs. Irene McCullough Williams departed this life December 7, 1962 at Cone Memorial Hospital, after several weeks illness. She was born February 28, l9l5 in Waynesboro Burke county Georgia. She was the daughter of the late Virginia Moore.
She leaves to mourn her loss, the husband, Willie C. Williams, three sons, Willie, Jr.,Evans, and Eugene Williams; four grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. Ella Graham of Lawnside, N. J. and Miss Willie Mae McCullough of the home; one brother, Cornelious Moore of Lawnside, N. J. and a host of relatives and friends,
She became a member of the McCuller Baptist Church, Waynesboro, Georgia at an early age and came to Greensboro in l94l and connected her membership with the New Zion Baptist Church and remained a faithful member until her death
Children of WILLIE WILLIAMS and IRENE MCCULLOUGH are:
69. i. WILLIE CHANDLER5 WILLIAMS, JR., b. 1937.
70. ii. EUGENE WILLIAMS, b. July 24, 1942, GREENSBORO, N.C..
iii. EVANS WILLIAMS, b. 1941; m. MAXINE POLLOCK.
27. FRANKIE MAE4 WILLIAMS (GEORGIA ROSEVELT3 CHANDLER, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born May 11, 1908 in PERKINS, GA., and died July 10, 1987 in GREENSBORO, N.C.. She married WALTER HIGGINS December 18, 1927 in MUNNERLYN. GA.26, son of ED ROBERSON and SARAH ROBERSON.
Notes for FRANKIE MAE WILLIAMS:
MRS. FRANKIE MAE WILLIAMS HIGGINS BEGAN HER EXPERIENCE OF LIFE AND LIVING MAY 11, 1909 IN BURKE COUNTY, GEORGIA WITH HER PARENTS, THE LATE YARDRICK AND GEORGIA WILLIAMS.
THE LAST MILE OF HER FAITHFUL AND FRUITFUL PILGRIMAGE CAME TO ITS PROVIDENTIAL CONCLUSION ON FIRDAY, JULY 10, 1987, FOLLOWING A LENGTHY ILLNESS.
DURING HER YOUTHFUL RESIDENCE IN GEORGIA , SHE ATTAINED HER EDUCATION IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOL OF HER COMMUNITY WHERE SHE TAUGHT SCHOOL FOR A FEW YEARS. SHE COMMENCE HER PREPARATION FOR THE EXCHANGE OF TIME FOR ETERNITY BY BECOMING A CHRISTIAN THROUGH HER MEMBERSHIP WITH THE FELLOWSHIP BAPTIST CHURCH.
LATER, HER LOVE BROUGHT A SPECIAL MEASURE OF JOY TO HER LATE HUSBAND, WALTER HIGGINS. FROM THIS BLISSFUL UNION SEVEN CHILDREN WERE BORN, FOUR SONS, (ONE WHO PRECEDED HER IN DEATH, THE LATE GEORGE HIGGINS), AND THREE DAUGHTERS. SHE WAS A KIND, LOVING AND CORING MOTHER, "PENMAMA",AS SHE WAS AFFECTIONATELY CALLED BY HER GRANDCHILDREN, ALSO REFLECTED HER OUTSTANDING QUALITIES AS THE MATRIARCH OF HER FAMILY AND THE MOTHERLY IMAGE WHICH SHE WAS TO MANY CHILDREN IN CHERISHED AND UNFORGETTABLE WAYS.
HER SMILE SYMBOLIZED AND PERPETUATED HAPPINESS. HER VOICE VERBALIZED EFFECTIVE DISCIPLINE, CHRIST'S TEACHINGS AND A SENSE OF HUMOR.
AFTER ESTABLISHING HER PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA, HER CONTINUED QUEST FOR CHRIST WAS MANIFESTED IN HER DECISION, OVER A HALF CENTURY AGO, TO UNITE WITH THE NEW ZION MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH. SHE SERVED HER CHURCH WELL UNTIL DECLINING HEALTH IMPEDED HER LABOR IN THE VINEYARD.
THE DEDICATION AND CHRIST-LIKE QUALITIES WHICH SHE EXEMPLIFIED WILL ALWAYS HAVE A POSITIVE IMPACT UPON AND AMONG THE NEW ZION CHURCH FAMILY.
BEING ABOUT HER FATHER'S BUSINESS WAS DEMONSTRATED THROUGH HER LOYAL SERVICES WITH THE FOLLOWING CHURCH AFFILIATIONS: DEACONESS, MISSIONARY, SUNDAY SCHOOL, SENIOR CHOIR, VOCAL CHOIR, READY TO WORK CLUB, PRAY MEETING AND W. D. JOHNSON SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE. SHE WILL BE GREATLY MISSED!
"NOW ABIDETH FAITH, HOPE AND LOVE." THESE CHARACTERIZE MRS. FRANKIE HIGGINS AND ARE WORTHY TO BE EMULATED.
SHE LEAVES TO CHERISH HER MEMORY: THREE SONS, QUINNIE M. HIGGINS, GUY F. HIGGINS AND BENNIE W. HIGGINS; THREE DAUGHTERS, WALTA MAE JOHNSON, BETTYE J. MILLER OF GREENSBORO, AND EMMA HAIR, ATLANTA, GEORGIA; THREE SONS-IN-LAW AND FIVE GREATER-GRANDCHILDREN; THREE SISTERS, FOUR BROTHERS,
ONE BROTHER-IN-LAW, THREE SISTERS-IN-LAW, A HOST NIECES, NEPHEWS' OTHER RELATIVES AND FRIENDS.
Children of FRANKIE WILLIAMS and WALTER HIGGINS are:
i. GEORGE EDWARD5 HIGGINS, b. December 8, 1928, BURKE COUNTY; d. March 28, 1986, GREENSBORO, N.C.; m. NEVADA PARKS.
ii. SARAH JOE HIGGINS, b. January 26, 1930; d. September 6, 1934.
71. iii. WALTER MAE HIGGINS, b. August 15, 1932.
72. iv. EMMA JEAN HIGGINS, b. October 26, 1933.
v. BETTY HIGGINS, b. January 6, 1934; m. FLETCHER MILLER.
73. vi. QUNNIE HIGGINS, b. December 4, 1936.
74. vii. GUY FRANKLYN HIGGINS, b. November 18, 1941.
75. viii. BENNIE WAYNE HIGGINS, b. October 17, 1943.
28. SALLIE JOE4 WILLIAMS (GEORGIA ROSEVELT3 CHANDLER, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born October 25, 1909. She met ROBERT HINES.
Child of SALLIE WILLIAMS and ROBERT HINES is:
76. i. BERNICE5 HINES, b. May 21, 1929, WAYNESBORO, GA.; d. May 5, 1992, ATLANTA, GA..
29. THOMAS JEFFERSON4 WILLIAMS (GEORGIA ROSEVELT3 CHANDLER, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born December 23, 1910 in WAYNESBORO, GA., and died March 18, 1991 in GREENSBORO, N.C.. He married ESTELLE DILLIARD July 29, 1933 in BURKE CO.GA.27.
Notes for THOMAS JEFFERSON WILLIAMS:
Thomas Jefferson Williams was born in Waynesboro, GA on December 23, 1910. In 1931 Thomas moved with his family to Greensboro, N.C.
He was a faithful member of New Zion Missionary Baptist Church for 59 years. He worked as an eiectrian for Burlington Finishing Plant for 35 years. Thomas was a veteran of the U.S. Army. During his tour of duty, he received a Bronze Star Service Medal, a World War II Victory Medal, and a Good Conduct Medal.
Thomas was joined in marriage to Estella Dillard on November 17, 1947. From this blissful union were born two lovely daughters, Sandy and Jill. Thomas was a devoted and loving husband, father,grandfather and brother. He will be missed by all. His kind and loving ways will forever keep his memory alive.
After a wonderful life of longevity, Thomas was called home on March 18, 1991 at the age of 80.
Thomas leaves to mourn his passing his wife, Estella D. Williams' two daughters, Geraldine Smith and Sandra Jones, both of Greensboro; two sisters, Bessie Griffin and Georgia Jones of Greensboro; three brothers, Willie, Quinnie an Yardrick Williams, all of Greensboro; eight grandchildren; five great grandchildren, and a host of nieces, nephews, and many friends.
Children of THOMAS WILLIAMS and ESTELLE DILLIARD are:
77. i. GERALDINE5 WILLIAMS, b. April 18, 1942.
78. ii. SANDRA WILLIAMS, b. July 1, 1950.
30. QUINNIE ROSEVELT4 WILLIAMS, SR. (GEORGIA ROSEVELT3 CHANDLER, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born August 12, 1912 in MUNERLYN, GA., and died February 11, 1993 in GREENSBORO, N.C.. He married (1) NELLIE WRIGHT February 15, 1931 in BURKE CO. GA.28, daughter of GEORGE WRIGHT and ELLEN DUNBAR. He married (2) ALENE THOMPSON 1946.
Notes for QUINNIE ROSEVELT WILLIAMS, SR.:
â€œMy ship came In at morning time, and beautiful to see, for the Captain was King Jesus, and He softly beaconed me.â€
QUINNIE ROOSEVELT WILLIAMS, SR. quietly and serenely passed away Thursday morning, February 11, 1993.
He was born on August 23, 1912 In Burke County to the late Yardrick and Georgia Chandler Williams of Waynesboro, Ga.
Quinnie moved to Greensboro in 1930 and immediately became a member of the New Zion Baptist Church, where he remained a dedicated and faithful member for 63 years. This was exemplified through his life and service to God and his fellowman. He served on the Trustee Board for more than 40 years, and was Custodian of the church for many years until his health prevented him from remaining in that position. He loved his church, and you could always count on him to have everything clean and in order. He was one of the best. He retired from Cone Mills Prlntworks after 35 years of service.
He leaves to cherish his memories: a devoted and loving wife of 47 years, Alene Thompson Williams; two sons, Quinnie Williams, Jr. and Ronald Williams, Sr.; one daughter, Linda Williams Goolsby, all of Greensboro; two brothers, Yardrick Williams, Sr. and Willie Williams; two sisters, Bessie Williams Griffin and Georgia Williams Jones of Greensboro; seven grandchildren, Tonya, Rickey, Wanya, Alicia, Angela, Rayshon, Ronald, Jr., and Rosalind; seven great-grandchildren, one daughter-in-law, Audrey Williams, one son-in-law, Willie Goolsby, a dear and devoted friend, Ladis Goolsby (60 years), and a host of nieces, nephews, and friends.
Child of QUINNIE WILLIAMS and NELLIE WRIGHT is:
79. i. QUNNIE R.5 WILLIAMS, JR., b. January 30, 1933, waynesboro, Ga..
Children of QUINNIE WILLIAMS and ALENE THOMPSON are:
80. ii. LAVERN LINDA5 WILLIAMS, b. December 30, 1946.
81. iii. RONALD NORRIS WILLIAMS, b. February 1948.
31. NANNIE4 VAN WILLIAMS (GEORGIA ROSEVELT3 CHANDLER, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born June 6, 1914 in BURKE COUNTY, GA., and died July 12, 1983 in WASHINGTON, D.C.. She married GEORGE LESLIE ANDERSON, SR. 1930, son of ANDREW ANDERSON and EDITH REDDICK.
Notes for NANNIE VAN WILLIAMS:
Nannie Van Williams Anderson ,daughter of the late Yardrick and Georgia R. Williams, was born June 6, 1914, in Burke County, Georgia, where she attended public school.
Nannie became a member of the Fellowship Baptist Church at an early age. She married the late George L. Anderson, Sr., in 1930. To this union was born a lovely daughter and the three of them moved to Greensboro, North Carolina in 1933 where a son and another daughter were born a few years later. Nannie became an active member of the New Zion Baptist Church. She served faithfully and was well thought of and loved by all who came in contact with her.
In 1949, she moved to Washington, D.C., worked for several lovely families, who loved and cherished her dearly. Nannie became a member of the Greater Triedstone Baptist Church several years later where she remained a faithful member.
She leaves to cherish her memories, three children: Mary, George, Jr., and Barbara; eight grandchildren, seven great grandchildren, four brothers: Willie, Thomas, Quinnie and Yardrick, Jr., Williams; four sisters: Janie Lewis, Frankie Higgins, Bessie Griffin and Georgia Jones of Greensboro, North Carolina; one daughter-in-law, one grand-daughter-in-law, one grand-son-in-law and a host of neices, nephews, relatives and friends.
Nannie departed this life Tuesday, July 12, 1983, 1:40 p.m. at George Washington University Hospital.
Children of NANNIE VAN WILLIAMS and GEORGE ANDERSON are:
82. i. MARY ELIZABETH5 ANDERSON, b. September 27, 1932, BURKE COUNTY, GA..
83. ii. GEORGE LESLIE ANDERSON, JR, b. June 26, 1933, GREENSBORO, N.C..
84. iii. BARBARA JANE ANDERSON, b. January 17, 1936, GREENSBORO, N.C..
32. BESSSIE L.4 WILLIAMS (GEORGIA ROSEVELT3 CHANDLER, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born November 11, 1917 in JENKINS COUNTY, GA.29. She married HOWARD HAROLD GRIFFIN June 30, 1938 in DANVILLE, VA.30, son of EDDIE GRIFFIN and ESSIE MCCULLOUGH.
Notes for BESSSIE L. WILLIAMS:
BESSIE WAS BORN NOVEMBER 11, 1917 TO MR. YARDRICK AND GEORGIA WILLIAMS IN WAYNESBORO, GA.
Notes for HOWARD HAROLD GRIFFIN:
HOWARD HAROLD GRIFFIN (BUDDY) SON OF THE LATE EDDIE AND ESSIE MCCULLOUGH GRIFFIN WAS BORN IN WAYNESBORO, BURKE COUNTY, GA. ON AUGUST 18, 1915 AND DEPARTED THIS LIFE ON AUGUST 19, 1986 AT CONES MEMORIAL HOSPITAL.
HE SPENT HIS CHILDHOOD IN THE WARNERSVILLE AREA (GREENSBORO, N. C.). AT AN EARLY AGE, HE JOINED THE SHILOH BAPTIST CHURCH AND LATER CHANGED HIS MEMBERSHIP TO NEW ZION BAPTIST CHURCH.
HOWARD WAS EMPLOYED FOR FIFTY ONE YEARS (51) AS A GARMENT CUTTER FOR GREENSBORO MANUFACTURING CO. AND BATES NITE WEAR. HE WAS AFFECTIONALLY KNOWN AS "GRIFFO" BY HIS FELLOW EMPLOYEES AND BECAME WELL KNOWN FOR HIS LIGHT HEARTED CARING AND GIVING DISPOSITION.
HE LEAVES TO MOURN A DEVOTED WIFE, MRS. BESSIE WILLIAMS GRIFFIN OF THE HOME, ONE DAUGHTER, BONITA GRIFFIN REYNOLDS OF COLLINSVILLE, VA.;TWO SONS, MR. HOWARD EDWIN AND LARRY HAROLD GRIFFIN BOTH OF GREENSBORO; ONE SISTER, MRS. EMMA WHEELER OF BRONX, N.Y.: FIVE GRANDDAUGHTERS, KENYA, SHANNA, PATRICE, YOLANDA AND SINEATHA;THREE SISTERS-IN-LAW, FOUR BROTHERS -IN-LAW AND A HOST OF OTHER RELATIVES AND FRIENDS.
I HEREBY CERTIFY THAT THIS TRUE AND ACCURATE COPY WHICH APPEARS ON RECORD IN THE OFFICE OF REGISTER OF DEEDS, GUILFORD COUNTY, N.C. IN BOOK 256 PG.
62. WITNESS MY HAND AND SEAL THIS 27 DAY OF AUGUST 1986.
KAY F. PATSEAVOURAS, REGISTER OF DEEDS
REGISTRATION DISTRICT # 04195
NAME OF DECEASED- HOWARD HAROLD GRIFFIN, SEX-MALE, DATE OF DEATH AUG. 19,1986, COLOR OR RACE-BLACK,STATE OF BIRTH- GA., COUNTY OF BIRTH AUG. 18, 1915, AGE-71, PLACE OF DEATH-COUNTY--GUILFORD, CITY OR TOWN-GREENSBORO, NAME OF HOSPITAL-MOSES H. CONE, RESIDENCE-STATE--N.C.
CITY OR TOWN-GREENSBORO, COUNTY- GUILFORD, STREET AND NO.- 1110 VANCE ST.
CITIZEN OF WHAT COUNTRY?-U.S.A., MARRIED, SURVIVING SPOUSE- BESSIE WILLIAMS, SOCIAL SECURITY NO.- 204-18-3628, USAL OCCUPATION- CUTTER(TEXTILE), KIND OF BUSINESS- NITE APPAREL, WAS DECEASED EVER IN U.S. ARMED FORCES?- NO,
FARTHER NAME- EDDIE GRIFFIN
MOTHER NAME- ESSIE MCCULLOUGH
INFORMANT'S NAME AND ADDRESS- BESSIE GRIFFIN, 1110 VANCE ST., GREENSBORO, N.C.
DEATH CAUSED BY:
(A) IMMEDIATE CAUSE: CARCINOMATOSIS
(B) DUE TO, OR AS A CONSEQUENCE OF: CARCINOMA OF THE LUNG
OTHER SIGNIFICANT CONDITIONS CONTRIBUTING TO DEATH BUT NOT RELATED TO CAUSE GIVEN IN PART 1(A): ATHEROSCLEROTIC HEART DISEASE
TIME? 8:30 AM
NAME AND TITLE OF CERTIFIER: DR. PRESTON S. CLARK,1511 WESTOVER TERRACE
GREENSBORO, N.C. 27408
NAME OF CEMETERY: MAPLEWOOD, GREENSBORO, N.C.
FUNERAL HOME: HARGETT F. H., GREENSBORO, N.C.
Children of BESSSIE WILLIAMS and HOWARD GRIFFIN are:
i. SHRILEY ANN5 GRIFFIN, b. February 2, 1940, GREENSBORO, N.C.; d. February 2, 1940.
85. ii. HOWARD EDWIN GRIFFIN, b. March 29, 1942, 25.
86. iii. LARRY HAROLD GRIFFIN, b. May 21, 1944, GREENSBORO, N.C..
87. iv. BONITA HOWARLYN GRIFFIN, b. December 9, 1955, GREENSBORO, N.C..
33. YARDRICK4 WILLIAMS, SR (GEORGIA ROSEVELT3 CHANDLER, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born September 13, 1922. He married ALICE HARRIS November 30, 1942 in GREENSBORO, N.C..
Children of YARDRICK WILLIAMS and ALICE HARRIS are:
88. i. YARDRICK5 WILLIAMSIII, b. April 29, 1943, GREENSBORO, N.C.; d. January 18, 1990, GREENSBORO. N.C..
ii. NANCY ANNE WILLIAMS, b. February 5, 1945.
89. iii. MICHAEL WILLIAMS, b. June 26, 1951.
iv. TYRONE WILLIAMS, b. February 12, 1965.
v. CLATON WILLIAMS, b. July 11, 1954.
90. vi. RHONDA WILLIAMS, b. March 8, 1956.
vii. LYNN WILLIAMS, b. March 12, 1958.
34. GEORGIA KATE4 WILLIAMS (GEORGIA ROSEVELT3 CHANDLER, JANE2 PARRIS, PARRIS1) was born May 19, 1924 in WAYNESBORO GA.. She married WILSON JONES January 12, 1946 in GREENSBORO NC.(HOME), son of IRA JONES and DAISY JONES.