Search for content in message boards

Any Storlies out there???

Any Storlies out there???

Greg Storlie (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Storlie
I was wondering if anybody had any information on when the Storlie Families came over to the United States. I have heard that one family came over in 1885..Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Posted: 28 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jan 2002 6:04AM GMT
There is a book HISTORY OF THE STORLIE FAMILY IN AMERICA published in 1966. I don't know if it is still available for puchase. I have a few pages on the branch that we are researching. There were four brothers immigrating to America--the first two brothers came in 1852, another in 1859 and I don't know when the fourth came. Many Storlie families settled in southern Minnesota. I will find the name of someone you can contact for more information.

are there any storlies out there?

Lynn Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
I have birth records from Ole Storlie and his wife Margit Olsen. They came to America (Farmington Minn.) on June 10, 1870. They travelled by sailboat with their 6 children. The baby (1 yr.) was my great grandmother. These Storlies came from Rauland, Telemark, Norway. If you have information about the other Storlies I'd love to hear about it.

Any Storlies out there

Lynn Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Ole and Margit came to Hastings Minn. not Farmington.

Re: are there any storlies out there?

Posted: 22 Aug 2007 1:49AM GMT
please look at my family tree, it may help you.

Posted: 17 Jul 2010 1:40PM GMT
Surnames: Storlie, Gregersn
Looking for relatives or information about Tov "Tom" Gregersen Storlie. When he, his wife and young child arrived in America on a cattle boat that that they had been on to take care of the cattle as their passage to America from Norway, the place where he arrived (unknown) could not understand him and as he was saying that he was from Storlie Valley, they thought that he was saying that his name was Storlie so that was the name that he was given in America. Any info? Thanks, Mary

Posted: 17 Jul 2010 3:30PM GMT
More basic identification information needed -
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wgnorway/good-queries.htm

Posted: 18 Jul 2010 9:22PM GMT
His Norwegian name was Tof Gregarsen Storli (Tof, son of Gregar, from Storli farm).
Vinje Chruch book 1856, baptism nr 17 http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1422&i...

His father was Gregar Tofsen Storli. Rural Norwegians at that time had no family surname. As an individual surname they used their patronym and/or their farm name. Here in Vinje church book most witnesses to the baptism use their farm name as surname. So when Tof arrived US he might call himself Tof (Tov, Thov) Gregarsen or Tof Storli. Both would be correct.
The Americans expected people to have one established family surname, and they often made some ledgend to explain why the immigrants changed between their two surnames, the patronym and the farm name.

In 1865 census, the name was spelled Thov.
1865 census Storli farm: http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&am...

The father, Gregar Tovsen, died 19 Nov 1874 http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=4822&i...

Posted: 17 Aug 2010 4:10AM GMT
Mary,
As you most likely know, Tov Gregarson Storlie (Tom Storlie in US) was born in Vinje, Telemark and came to the US about 1884. I do not know of any of Tov's siblings that came to the US, but he may have chosen to come to this area because his father's sister Ingeborg and her family came to this area in 1861. Ingeborg was married to my great grandfather's brother, Ole Sveinson, from Vinje. It is my understanding that Tov was a stone mason. When he first arrived in the area he lived in a dugout in the side of a hill (on a farm now owned by the Letlebo family if I remember correctly)on Hwy BB in Deerfield township. Tov had 3 wives that I am aware of: Bertha died in 1910, Elizabeth died in 1928 & Anna died in 1944. Tov/Tom died in 1945 and all are buried at St Paul Liberty Lutheran in Deerfield township. Tov/Tom's grandson Ramon Storlie, and Ramon's sister Hazel Keller both still live in Deerfield, Wis. LOTS of Storlies here. Ramon is very knowledgeable about his ancestry. You should look him up and give him a call.

Jinger Swenson Mandt, Deerfield, Wis.

Posted: 19 Aug 2010 2:54AM GMT
Thanks so much for all of the info - in fact I was in Deerfield for the Storlie Reunion on August 24th and yeas, have had many talks with Ramon and Hazel. It is interesting to hear that you are related also! Mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions