Search for content in message boards

Abraham Lincoln/Enloe Connection

Abraham Lincoln/Enloe Connection

Charlotte Enloe (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2001 7:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Enloe, Enlow, Lincoln, Hanks
I just read an article on the Geneology Today site about the Lincoln/Enloe connection.

The man that wrote the article didn't bother to do enough research into time and marriage records.
Thomas Lincoln was a carpenter and married Nancy Hanks 12 June 1806........by Rev. Jesse Head, in Washington Co. Ky. married bond recorded there. There were numerous people there and Nancy's guardian John H. Parrot gave a large party, they were married at the home of Frank Berry.
The Nancy Enlow dau of Abraham Enlow of Rutherford Co. married Thompson in 1815 and moved to Ky after that. Also the Enloe's didn't move out of the Rutherford Co. area til 1812 and it was after this they moved up on Puzzle Creek.
There have been numerous people that have researched this puzzle. I myself have also checked this out for over 30 years now. From what I have found the rumors began in 1860 because Samuel Haycroft, County Clerk at Elizabethtown could not find the marriage license for Thomas Lincoln and Mary Hanks that President Lincoln requested a copy of. Haycroft even wrote the President about his parents being Thomas Lincoln and Sarah Bush and the President wrote giving his parents name Thomas Lincoln and Nancy Hanks. But since no married record was found for them there rumors began to spread about the President being a bastard.......and quess what Abraham Enloe who passed away in 1861and was a neighbor (when he died he still had a nose) became the unknown father because he use to brag about Lincoln being named after him, he was 15 when Lincoln was born.
The Enloe's in N.C. had never heard this rumor til late 1800 when Cathey came looking and they all claimed to know nothing about it. Several years later the story change and changed and more people seem to know all about this that never knew before..............sound familiar. None of my family had ever heard the rumor before til then either.
But hay isn't it exciting to believe Lincoln was an Enloe even if at one time in history he was the most disliked man in the south.
Also the man that wrote the article is still under the impression that we were from Scotland and apparantly Enoch, Isaac Enloe's were school teacher.

I know I am going to catch a lot of slack because of this but there was to much truth out there if someone just bothered to look.

Re: Abraham Lincoln/Enloe Connection

Posted: 10 Mar 2002 5:52PM GMT
Edited: 20 Sep 2002 10:38PM GMT
If you have an interest and want to find a more COMPLETE group of stories
[there were at least 3 different Abraham’s accused of “doing the deed”]
plug into these different web sites:

http://www.inlow.org/iok.html
This site has done excellent work on the “old” family, and is of great value well beyond the Lincoln story.

http://genealogytoday.com/us/lincoln/index.html
This site gives the NC version

http://www.blueridge.net/~chadm/index.html
this site also gives the NC version

Read these stories, and then make up your own mind.

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 1:17PM GMT
Edited: 18 Feb 2013 1:17PM GMT
Charlotte, I appreciate your honesty and objectivity. It is ironic that the Enlow argument claims a "lack of hard data in the Kentucky Tradition" since there is the Kentucky Lincoln-Hanks marriage record but absolutely no documentation to support a North Carolina connection. The mere occurrence of the name Nancy Hanks in North Carolina is certainly no proof. Indeed, there are eight different Thomas Lincolns in the 1810 census between Maine and Kentucky (but of course only one marriage of a Thomas Lincoln and Nancy Hanks).

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 9:22AM GMT
Found this

The Daily Memphis Avalanche
September 20, 1867

Dr. A. Enlow, half brother of the late President Lincoln, dropped dead at Mumfordville, Kentucky, on Friday last, while he was mixing up some medicine for a patient.
Attachments:

Posted: 10 Nov 2013 10:28PM GMT
Hello - I was reading through some old paperwork of my mothers and came upon a hand written copy of the Enloe family bible with entries starting April 21, 1845. I am a direct descendent. I thought someone had already disproved the connection with a DNA test. If this is not true, I have some evidence. Michael McCabe Naples, Fl
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions