Search for content in message boards

Virginia Galts

Virginia Galts

Posted: 28 Apr 2009 7:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Galt
I am interested in some Galts who lived or owned property in the Portsmouth, VA area. One name in particular is Ann Galt. Can anyone direct me to information on this individual or her family?

Re: Virginia Galts

Posted: 4 May 2009 11:18AM GMT
Hello,
I have an Ann Galt on my database - born 1811 in Stevenston Ayrshire, parents John Galt and Marion Service. MIght thi be the lady? Or was she a Galt by marriage?
Catherine

Posted: 5 May 2009 3:36PM GMT
I have worked on a Portsmouth Galt, Gabriel Alexander Dickie Galt, MD - b.1834 and d.1908, buried at Historic St Luke's Church in Smithfield, VA. His father was Gabriel Galt and his mother was Elizabeth Browne. Gabriel Galt was in the Navy and they lived on Middle St in what is now Old Towne. The house is no longer standing. One reference that I found, reviewing notes done in 2004, was that Gabriel Galt had been married in 1825 to ?. He married Elizabeth Browne in 1829. Hard to think that he had divorced his first wife, that was not very common then.

There is an 1850 Portsmouth Census with a 60 yo Ann Galt. Don't know how she might relate. The Portsmouth Galts had relatives in Norfolk and Williamsburg. The Norfolk Galts seemed to have moved to the western mountains during and after the yellow fever epidemic - during which the father, Alexander, postmaster of Norfolk, died. I wonder if your Ann was related to them and was living with a grandchild in Portsmouth, 1850. I didn't recognize the name of the household she was with. Very illustrious family and well documented. 16 doctors, two artists (one sculpted the statue of T. Jefferson that is in the rotunda at the University of VA), another founded the APVA. Are you connected to them?

Posted: 12 May 2009 8:31PM GMT
Surnames: GALT
Hello Catherine,

Thanks very much for your response. My suspicion is that she was, indeed, a Galt by marriage. Can you refer me to any histories or genealogies of the Galt family?

Posted: 12 May 2009 8:33PM GMT
Hello Fran,

I appreciate your very knowledgeable response. No, I am not related to teh Galts but I am interested in this line. Can you refer me to any texts that discuss the Galt family history?

Posted: 13 May 2009 2:40AM GMT
Some of the resources I found were:
"The Galt Families: Notes on their Origin and their History with Genealogical Lists" by Howard Spillman Galt, printed by the Sheffield Print Shop, Yenching University, Pekping, China. 163 pages

"History and Genealogy of the Ege Family in the United States, 1738-1911" by Rev Thompson P Ege, D.D., Printed by The Star Printing Co, 1911. 70+ pages

Correspondance from Mary Meares Galt to Mary Carrington, dated August 1961. 16 pages.

Family chart by Rogers Harrington Galt, with Mary Meares Galt, 1934 (3 sheets - 11"X17")

I have these in copies, if you want to pay for coping and mailing, I can send them to you. I did much of my research at the College of William and Mary.

Posted: 13 May 2009 2:16PM GMT
Hello, I have 2 Ann Galts.
a) born 20 Feb 1781
b) born 16 April 1811
both born in Ayrshire Scotland

a) married William Calderwood and I don't think they left Scotland
b) I have no further info about so it is possible she went to USA

Catherine

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 4:40PM GMT
I am working on an interesting story of the daughter of John Minson Galt III(1808-3/4/1868), Emily Virginia Galt (1837-1914).

She is the subject of a "ghost" story at the former Augusta Arsenal where her father was the military storekeeper from 1845 to 1861. It has been locally reported that Emily committed suicide there in 1861.

According to the census records, she was a patient at the Eastern State Hospital from 1900 to 1914. However, I have been unable to locate exactly when she became a patient or for what. It was a mental institution but the diagnosis would a helpful bit of information. Emily also worked at the St. Johns Orphanage in Washington DC. But once again, the only years known are 1880-1884. She may have been there longer.

I would like to create a direct line chart of her family from Samuel I, but the Ege and Howard Spillman Galt books are a bit confusing. Does anyone have this?

Thanks for any help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions