Search for content in message boards

Norris Family in GA

Norris Family in GA

Posted: 11 Oct 1999 10:30PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2003 1:50AM GMT
I'm trying to trace relatives of Luke Bonner Norris my grandfather.
He was born about 1862.
He married Mattie (Turner?) about 1901.
Their children were:
Lentulus-1902
Ellis Albert-1904
Elihu Q. -1908
Maudlea-1911
Hubert W. -1913
Roy Edwin - 1915, my father

Luke Bonner Norris' father was named Green or Judge (b: 1839?) and mother was Charlotte (b:1844?).

The family lived in Atlanta after 1900. Before that they lived in other counties in GA.
I don't have the correct spelling of all the names.

Because the generations are so spread out in my family, my father and all his siblings have died and I'm rather stuck.

Would love to have any leads.
Posted: 13 Oct 1999 1:05AM GMT
Edited: 2 Sep 2002 10:57AM GMT
I'M NOT GOING TO BE ANY HELP TO YOU I AM NEW AT THIS AND WAS HOPING FOR YOUR HELP.
I AM LOOKING FOR A JASPER HUGH NORRIS WAS BORN IN 1923 OR 24 SERVED IN THE WAR.
I THINK HE WAS AN UNDERTAKER.AND MAY HAVE DRIVEN AN AMBULANCES IN THE WAR?
NEED HELP
THANK YOU,
DORA WILKINS
MY E-MAIL IS dorasband@yahoo.com
Posted: 13 Oct 1999 1:12AM GMT
Edited: 2 Sep 2002 10:57AM GMT
I'M NOT GOING TO BE ANY HELP TO YOU I AM NEW AT THIS AND WAS HOPING FOR YOUR HELP.
I AM LOOKING FOR A JASPER HUGH NORRIS WAS BORN IN 1923 OR 24 SERVED IN THE WAR.
I THINK HE WAS AN UNDERTAKER.AND MAY HAVE DRIVEN AN AMBULANCES IN THE WAR?
NEED HELP
THANK YOU,
DORA WILKINS
MY E-MAIL IS dorasband@yahoo.com

re:norris family in ga

James G. Norris (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 1999 7:26AM GMT
Thomas Sanford Norris, b. circa 1840, lived in Georgia, likely near Atlanta and served in civil war with the Georgia Infantry. Married a woman of last name Mathews(sic), and after civil war moved to MS. Perhaps a distant relative of yours.

Norris Family in GA

Posted: 29 Dec 1999 8:34PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2003 1:50AM GMT
Do you know if Thomas's family owned slaves or if he or his children were of mixed ancestry? Also, do you know what town or towns they lived in before 1880?

Norris'' in GA

James G. Norris (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 1999 9:22PM GMT
Thomas Sanford Norris was a member of the Twenty-seventh Georgia Infantry, which was organized at Camp Stephens, near
Griffin, in September 1861. My dad has told me that he moved to MS prior to the civil war, was a slave driver. When the war broke out, he returned to Georgia, and evidently signed up with this unit at Camp Stephens. I have found his name on the muster roll. I do not believe that he was a slave owner, and am not aware of any mixed relations. Following the war, he settled in Montgomery County, MS. Likely in the small hamlet of Eupora, MS; but in the area of Winona, MS. We are unaware of any family ties in Georgia, other than that is where he came from prior to the civil war as a young man. It is also possible that he came from North Carolina, or his family did, moved to Georgia, then he moved west to MS. However, to the best of my knowledge we are unaware of any of his brothers or sisters went west as well.

Re: Norris'' in GA

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 11:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
My 3rd-great grandfather, Anderson Martin Norris named his 3rd son Thomas Sanford Norris. My Thomas was born 1841 in Coosa Co. Alabama. and he became a Minister. His father Anderson, was also a minister. We believe his grandfather was the Reverend Thomas Norris who is written up in "The Annals of Newberry." Careful though, this book states he "got called home" in 1780, implying he passed away. He actually passed away in 1793. He died intestate and his estate was probated by his son Stephen Norris in Edgefield Co. South Carolina. His wife was Rebecca Miller Norris White, daughter of Jacob Miller. Have found reference that a member of this Miller family, maybe Jabob's father, lived to be 112!
Anderson was born in Edgefield Co. South Carolina circa 1807 and his oldest son, William Edward Norris b 1834 in Greene Co. Georgia, was my gg-grandfather. We are also connected to the Norris family that moved to Mississippi. This family was large and has taken quite a while for me to grasp just how vast this is to get all of these Norris's in order. You are right about this family originating out of North Carolina. Through DNA submitted by my father's Uncle Norris we have been able to link our family way back to James,Thomas,Charles and John Norris all living various counties in North Carolina. If you get this message and you would like to compare notes please email me at elk2500@yahoo.com. Thanks,Tracy

Re: Norris'' in GA

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 11:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Norris, Miller, White
My 3rd-great grandfather, Anderson Martin Norris named his 3rd son Thomas Sanford Norris. My Thomas was born 1841 in Coosa Co. Alabama. and he became a Minister. His father Anderson, was also a minister. We believe his grandfather was the Reverend Thomas Norris who is written up in "The Annals of Newberry." Careful though, this book states he "got called home" in 1780, implying he passed away. He actually passed away in 1793. He died intestate and his estate was probated by his son Stephen Norris in Edgefield Co. South Carolina. His wife was Rebecca Miller Norris White, daughter of Jacob Miller. Have found reference that a member of this Miller family, maybe Jabob's father, lived to be 112!
Anderson was born in Edgefield Co. South Carolina circa 1807 and his oldest son, William Edward Norris b 1834 in Greene Co. Georgia, was my gg-grandfather. We are also connected to the Norris family that moved to Mississippi. This family was large and has taken quite a while for me to grasp just how vast this is to get all of these Norris's in order. You are right about this family originating out of North Carolina. Through DNA submitted by my father's Uncle Norris we have been able to link our family way back to James,Thomas,Charles and John Norris all living various counties in North Carolina. If you get this message and you would like to compare notes please email me at elk2500@yahoo.com. Thanks,Tracy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions