Search for content in message boards

Please, what uniform is this and a date, if poss.

Please, what uniform is this and a date, if poss.

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 7:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jan 2013 3:03PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Is this a British uniform c. WW1?

The person wearing the uniform with Cpl strips is, I believe, Fredrick S Smith born 1911. I'm thinking the uniform might belong to another family member/friend as it looks far too big for Frederick. Please, can anyone date this uniform.
Attachments:

Re: Please, what uniform is this and a date, if poss.

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 3:00PM GMT
The collar and cap badge look like Royal Marine Light Infantry insignia. Looks to be sometime soon after WW1.

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 11:24AM GMT
Thank you.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 11:29PM GMT
Classification: Military
Edited: 7 Feb 2013 3:23PM GMT
My first reaction was he must have been a SCCMarine Cadet but they are part of the Sea Cadet Corps and although the Sea Cadets can be traced back to 1856, the SCCMarine Cadets didn’t exist until 1955.

That means the young man must be member of the Royal Marine Volunteer Cadet Corps that was formed in 1901 at the Royal Marine Barracks, Eastney, Portsmouth and units were formed at Plymouth (1904) and Chatham soon after.

Originally entry was restricted to the son’s on serving Senior NCOs and the opened to all ranks of all three services; in 1922 membership was opened to local civilian boys.

For more history see http://www.royalmarinescadetsportsmouth.co.uk/history.html
Jeff
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions