Search for content in message boards

Willows Maternity Hospital Kansas City, Mo.

Willows Maternity Hospital Kansas City, Mo.

Faye (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2000 8:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Mar 2009 8:32PM GMT
Surnames: rogers
It is hard to find adoption records from the Willows Hospital.It was privately owned,and when it closed,I think in 1968 all the records were destroyed.I was born in this home in Aug of 1936.My birth name was Faye Rogers my mothers name was Virginia ? she was 20 when I was born so she was born in 1916 my faher was 28.It has been very hard for me to get any information from the state of Mo.If I can help anyone with information on the Willows Home let me know,if anyone has any information for me I would wellcome all I can get.
Thanks Faye

Re: Willows Maternity Hospital Kansas City, Mo.

Posted: 11 Nov 2006 8:27AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 23 Mar 2009 8:36PM GMT
This web site also has a picture of the place. Below is some info on it. ( see below the link )

http://www.kclibrary.org/guides/localhistory/index.cfm?artic...

Where are the records for the Willows Maternity Home?

When the Willows Maternity Sanitarium closed in 1969, after 64 years of providing a haven and help for "unfortunate" girls and adoption services for their newborns, "the records were piled in the backyard and burned." This statement, published in The Kansas City Star, June 22, 1975, was repeated again in 1982 by Mrs. Sam Ray about the Willows in the historical article that accompanied the postcard in her column "Postcards from Old Kansas City" in The Kansas City Star.

The Willows, known as the "Ritz or Waldorf" of homes for unwed mothers, was not the only maternity home in the city. Others included St. Vincent’s Hospital, Eastside Maternity Hospital (changing its name in 1936 to Kansas City Cradle), Florence Crittenton Home, and the Fairmount Maternity Hospital.

Its central location in the United States with easy access by railroad contributed to Kansas City becoming "the baby hub of the United States." The back page of a Willows pamphlet called Interesting Willows' Statistics (1921) features a map of railroad lines across the United States all leading into Kansas City. The caption reads, "A glance at a railroad map of the United States will show the splendid position of Kansas City for the care of unfortunate young women. Its easy access from all directions, excellent train service and central location gives it the pre-eminent position in the country for its work."

At the Willows alone, it is estimated that, over its 64-year existence, 25,000 to 35,000 babies were adopted, lending credence to the observation in 1991 by Kate Burke, president of the American Adoption Congress in Washington, that indeed, Kansas City was "the baby hub of the United States."

For more information search the Library's local history database.

April 2006
Librarian Sherrie Kline Smith

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 3:24PM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2009 8:38PM GMT
My gradfather was adopted from the Willows orphange. I just moved to Kansas City and was wondering if you knew where the orphanage was. i would like to see where it was. Also, i was wondering if there is a place I can go to get info about it.

Posted: 27 Mar 2009 1:02AM GMT
My uncle was born at the willow. I am interested in this place if I find out anything I well let you know and would appreciate knowing what you find out.

Posted: 6 Apr 2009 12:51AM GMT
I believe my mother could of been born in Mar. of 1919 at the Willows Maternity Hospital. The family was told that my mother's mother left Tulsa, Ok. in March and travel to Joplin, Mo. to have my mother. At the time my grandmother lived within 2 blocks of a hospital and she wore a pillow under her clothes to portrait a expectant mother. I am writing to you to see if there is a lobby group to lobby the State of Missouri to open these adoption records that are over 80 years old and most of the people involved are now dead? I need to find out if my mother was born at the Willows. Please could use any help that you could suggest.

Posted: 28 Apr 2009 2:56AM GMT
SO are you implying that the state of MO also holds records of the adoptions from willows?

Posted: 29 Apr 2009 8:25PM GMT
I am not implying anything only it seems that since there were 35-65 thousand children being run through K.C. at the time there could be a very good chance since we found her brothers info at an Oklahoma court house that says he was adopted in K.C., Mo. in Jackson county to a single mother six years earlier. I do not understand all the secreacy and lack of cooperation with records over 90 years old. Unless something terrible was going on with the adoptions that were made in the state of Missouri at that time and the judges were in the back pockets of those with $$$$$.

Posted: 23 Jun 2009 9:45PM GMT
The Willows had their own records of expectant mothers, babies and prospective parents, however the official records are at the courthouse in KC at the archives. Issues could arise if the mother used a false name, but that could happen at any home. I just yesterday found my maternal birth family in less than a week of looking..I encourage everyone to register on all the adoption sites you possibly can. It works! My birth family did not know about me. I wish you all good luck in your search!

Posted: 12 Jul 2009 9:25PM GMT
the hospital was at 2929 main. My aunt was in charge there when I was small. So I spent a lot of time there as a kid.

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 6:58AM GMT
Have you obtained the adoption interview? We got one with all of the identifying information blanked out. We found out who the birth mother was, but not the father. This was in 1942.

Mary Helen Allen
Columbia MO
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions