Search for content in message boards

ANYONE WITH THE SURNAME NAME,PLEASE GET IN TOUCH

ANYONE WITH THE SURNAME NAME,PLEASE GET IN TOUCH

Posted: 8 Jun 2011 2:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BELSHAW
Are you a BELSHAW, or have a relative of the surname BELSHAW

Or was your maiden name BELSHAW.

I am deperately trying to find BELSHAW Ancestors. and not getting very far so please if you are or know of any BELSHAW'S Please,Please get in touch with information.

My Great Great Grandmother was MARGARET BELSHAW from Ireland in the early 1800s.

Please Help. disce50@clara.co.uk

Regards, Heppy

Re: ANYONE WITH THE SURNAME NAME,PLEASE GET IN TOUCH

Posted: 8 Jun 2011 3:54PM GMT
you need to supply more info.

did your g-g-g/mother live in England ?

If so where ?

who did she marry, and where ?

what were her childrens names, where were they born ?

Was she Catholic or some other religion ?

The more info you have, the better your chances are of finding her.

There are no birth records in Ireland for early 1800s.

Earliest records in Ireland 1864 for Catholic Births, Deaths, Marriages.

Posted: 8 Jun 2011 4:12PM GMT
Surnames: Belshaw
If you only want to know of others with the surname Belshaw, just click on Google. There are several, though I don't know if any of them are related to you. Since it is an unusual name, though, it's worth a chance if all else fails. Also, there are birth records (or baptismal records) in Ireland before 1864. But if your ancestor was Catholic the civil birth records will not begin until 1864.

Good luck

Posted: 8 Jun 2011 4:26PM GMT
Hi

I am not a Belshaw but there are some Belshaw records on this paid site http://ifhf.rootsireland.ie/quis.php
I cant find any record earlier then 1851, but maybe it gives an idea where to look as most of them are in Northern Ireland . (not saying they were no where else but this is usually a good indicator)
This is a pay site and records cost 5 euro each, but it does allow to search first and then buy but a 100% match can never be guaranteed :(

Church Baptism Belshaw Margaret Ann 1851 Co. Antrim
Church Baptism Belshaw Margaret 1855 Co. Armagh
Civil Birth Belshaw Margaret 1878 Co. Antrim
Civil Birth Belshaw Margaret 1879 Co. Antrim
Civil Birth Belshaw Margaret Anna 1909 Co. Antrim
Civil Birth Belshaw Margaret 1910 Co. Armagh
Civil Birth Belshaw Margaret 1912 Co. Armagh

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 1:34PM GMT
Hi you were asking about Belshaws,my grt gran's name was Belshaw.She was born in 1846 to John Belshaw,she had 2 brothers John and Hugh.These Belshaws were all born in Co Down but it's possible that futher back they came from Antrim or Armagh.Both john and Hugh married and had sons carrying on the name.If you would like more details please let me know and I can tell you more.Regards Susan

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 8:30PM GMT
Edited: 7 Apr 2013 8:53PM GMT
HI,

I am not related to any Belshaws but if you know they came from Co. Down, check the Census returns...

Were the family Weavers ??

Is this her brother John in 1901 b.1835/6

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?cen...=

If so this is probably her Father in the 1860s.

Bellshaw, John - East Street, Newtownards - Down

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 10:55PM GMT
Hi, thanks for getting back re: Belshaws,my grt gran was Jane Belshaw. Her father was John Belshaw and her mother was Fanny McRoberts,they married about 1832 their first 2 sons were both John,I imagine the first 1 died.John born 1836 married Anna Smyth they had 10 children,the first was John born 1868,their daughter Mary Cahoon went to Australia as a missionary to the Aborigini children,her brother,Hugh,also went as he was a minister and her sister Eleanor also went to Australia. You are right in saying that they were weavers.I haven't looked for John on the 1901 census as I have been looking for other family members.I have so many family members from Newtownards that it takes time getting through them all.
My reason for posting on the page was to see if there's anyone with the same family.I have got stuck with the Belshaws going back beyond John,Jane's father,I can't find who his father was so any help there appreciated.
Regards Susan

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 11:13AM GMT
re: John Belshaw and Fanny McRoberts married about 1832

Compulsory civil registration of non-Roman Catholic marriages began on April 1st, 1845. The registration of births, deaths and all marriages commenced on January 1st, 1864.

Your only chance of finding their parents, would be to contact the local Church for a copy of the marriage cert.

If they have a record, that would probably show the names of the Fathers of the couple.

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 11:31AM GMT
Yes I know that if I could get a copy of the marriage I would get the names of parents the problem is I don't have an exact date for the marriage also I don't know where they were married it could have been Lissara,but I don't know for sure.Any help always appreciated

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 12:45PM GMT
I am afraid I don't know the area, but...

Try posting your message/questions at...

http://www.irelandxo.com/

Each Parish has a volunteer who tries to connect people to their Roots.

There is also a message board specific to each Parish.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic