Search for content in message boards

Lyon, Charles - England/Scotland

Lyon, Charles - England/Scotland

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2003 3:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have started with my Grandparent Alban Charles Lyon 1904-1966 married to Georgina. My Gt Grandparent was Charles Lindsey Lyon (2nd) married to Priscella Gertrude Harrison. My Gt Gt Grandparent was Charles Lyon (1st) married to Eliza Smith. I have no dates for my Gt and Gt Gt Grandparents. I have been told we go back to the Bowes-Lyon. Does this match with anyone or can anyone please advise where I start looking to trace dates on both Charles'. Alban came from London but I believe there may be Scottish connection somewhere. Appreciate help.

Re: Lyon, Charles - England/Scotland

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2003 7:30AM GMT
Since found out that Charles Lindsay Lyon (2nd) dates are 1885-1914, wife Priscilla dates 1880-1946. Can anyone advise how I go about searching for dates before then to trace my Gt Gt Grandfather, Charles Lyon (1st one)? Would appreciate any help that can be given.

Posted: 10 Nov 2004 11:57PM GMT
Surnames: Lyon
Hello,
I am Nancy Lyon Canant I live in a small community in South Alabama, I was Borned to The Late Thomas Edward Lyon and Nancy Catherine Oakley Lyon, I was there only child, I married F Keith Canant August of 1977 and We have 2 Children Christopher K Canant 25 and Courtney Melinda Canant 20 I have researched the lyon family for quite a while and I am also kin to the Queen Mother of england. If you research back you will find we are a decendant of William Matthew Lyon which came from Scotland , as a stow a way on a ship. He left his mother one nite he told her he loved her and when everyone went to bed he left and came to america. and He was actually elected to a office in congress in is later years. He was a pretty high classed man he made it great after he came to america. I know several stories on Matthew which would take a while to sit here and type. I am sure we are kin

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2004 7:17PM GMT
Surnames: Lyon, Claude and Francis Claude
Hi Nancy
Thanks for mail 10 Nov 04. I have since had more info on my Lyon tree, so do any of these names/dates match with yours, or any one else researching Lyon -
My Grandfather was Alban Charles Lyon b.1904 U.K. d.1966 Ireland.
Gt Grandfather was Charles Lindsay Claude Lyon b.1885 d.1914 U.K.
(married Priscella Harrison 1904)
Gt Gt Grandfather was Francis Claude Lyon b. 1856 d.1948 U.K - had 5 brothers, married Ann Lindsay ( Scotland connection).
Gt Gt Gt Grandfather was Claude Lyon ( Lord Lieutenant of Forfar in Scotland) m.1852 d.1904.
We supposedly have connections with Scotland, America & Canada but do not know any more than that.
1753-1880 the surname 'Lyon' was changed several times with the introduction of 'Bowes' (Bowes-Lyon) but no listings on U.K. census so at a loss how to track back - can anyone help?
I have been told that about 6-8 sons emigrated to parts of America & Canada in the 1600's, but the U.S.A. arrival records at Ellis Island on line do not go that far back - can anyone help here? I live in the U.K. so most my researching is on on-line after getting as much as they know from family.
Nancy, how far back does William Matthew Lyon go to, as I do not match this name with the above and you did not mention birth or death dates so what timescale are you talking?
If any fellow Lyon researcher can assist me with my questions where I need to start looking on line or have a match with the names I have, please get in contact.
Thanks
Linda

Nancy Lyon Canant (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2004 12:15AM GMT
Hello Linda,
I thank you for your reply and I know we are a part of the Bowes-Lyon family the queen mother was a lyon and we are part of that lyon family I cannot tell you dates at this time because I do not have my book at this time But just as soon as I get it back I will email you back I do know that my great grand father was augustas Lyon and My grand father was Lorenza Thomas lyon I believe my grandfather was borned in the late 1800 and died around 1972 I think I believe I was around 10 when he died and that would put him dying some where in the early 1970's I will look up more soon.There was once a lady on the internet that was a nelson and she has alot on my familytree I cannot find her anymore But I really do not get on the computer as much as i use to I am a computer technician by trade and after you deal with the public and computers all day long its hard sometimes to get on them at nite when you get home. Well I will try to keep in touch thank you so much for your reply

nancy lyon canant

Posted: 26 Oct 2008 8:07PM GMT
Surnames: lyon
hi, im trying to trace my grandmothers family her fathers name was claude w. lyon, ive also been told thatthe name bowes lyon might pop up claudes father, i think may have been, william h lyon who was married to julia c crane but i believe that they came from dorset as either claude or william was the canon of sherbourne, does this info relate in anyway to your finding? id be very interested to hear from you many thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic