Search for content in message boards

FTM 2014 Sync Error Thread

FTM 2014 Sync Error Thread

Posted: 14 Sep 2013 7:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm starting this thread for sync error related problems. Wondering if I am alone with my issues here, lol.

I have deleted and redownloaded my tree three times now. Each time, I was able to sync a couple of times successfully, and then eventually, usually within a few syncs, the error messages return and no matter how many more tries, sync'ing is not possible.

Please include computer information when you post here as maybe that'll help some techy figure out what may be wrong.

Running Win 7, 64 bit, 6 gigs, Intel i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10 GHz. Chrome, up to date, IE 10, up to date.

Re: FTM 2014 Sync Error Thread

Posted: 14 Sep 2013 8:27PM GMT
Having the same problems. After install I had to re-download my tree. It synced ok a few times then errors. All I get when it fails is "an error occurred while analyzing changes from family tree maker" no error number, nothing. It tells me to restart FTM and try again later - did that - didn't work.

Running Win 7, 64 bit, 4 gigs, Toshiba Satellite L555. IE 10, all windows updates installed.

FTM did crash after I installed it and I got a message that Windows had automatically changed a compatibility setting, after that it seemed to run ok. Have no idea what that change was.

Posted: 14 Sep 2013 9:30PM GMT
Edited: 14 Sep 2013 9:40PM GMT
What I would do is create a tree in ftm 2014 and upload it to ancestry and the make changes and sync and see if going from ftm 2014 sync will work. I am thinking and hoping I am wrong, that some of the changes their making online is corrupting the online trees which are causing syncing down to cause issues. Hopefully am wrong. It also might be helpful to list the virus software you are using to see if theirs a pattern.

Posted: 14 Sep 2013 9:39PM GMT
Their is also a report, under publish, collection, person report, data error report. Their might be some basic errors you can uncheck.

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 2:23AM GMT
see: Re: Thread for FTM 2014 Issues run into

I have had the exact same issues with FTM sync failures and data corruption, which forced me to abandon FTM 2012 and wait until FTM 2014 came out in hopes they fixed the multiple serious software problems - but FTM 2014 does NOT sync as advertised, despite the faulty marketing hype. There are many other users and websites that describe similar persisting flaws in the sync feature, which would be a great tool IF it actually worked reliably. FTM and Ancestry will now lose many tenuous users of FTM who have waited for hoped solutions to tree-sync failures that are not close to being resolved - don't succumb to slick advertising, because FTM 2014 syncing will corrupt your valuable genealogy data, just as version 2012 did.

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 3:51AM GMT
Sync error from the start. Unlinked my online tree and uploaded a new one from FTM2014, uploaded OK but STILL no sync. I give up! You would think they would have ironed out the bugs in Beta before releasing it but it looks like they'd rather get your cash first and THEN finally get you a reasonable bug free product later.
Deleted 2014 and went back to 2012, luckily I had a backup copy of my tree from before the 2014 conversion. I guess I'll wait a few months for them to get their act together and try again.
VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!!!

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 12:06PM GMT
From reading the post in this thread, it seems like people are first downloading their tree from Ancestry.

I believe the correct procedure when installing new software is import your database from your hard drive, working with if for some period, depending on the size hours or days.

And then linking to your Ancestry tree.

Doing it in this way, allows the local system to be fine tuned and the errors resolved, before adding the complexity of syncing with the online tree.

I am sure 2014 handles things slightly different than 2012

Just like your lawn tractor, you do not start it with the blade running, but let the motor get running smoothly before engaging the blalde

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 2:24PM GMT
Everything was going well after I installed the new 2014 program...worked for a couple of days with not problem syncing......Then yesterday I too started getting the exact same sync error message we were getting 2012.

I had had been giving the new program such praise for a few days....now this...more than pisses...

Barb

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 2:48PM GMT
Yes, I did download my tree from ancestry.com into the software. The software makes that an option, and if it worked as it is supposed to work -- as they claim it will work -- then that should be perfectly fine.

Maybe I will try it your way. Maybe I will take this software and laugh like an evil hyena as I uninstall it and delete all remnants and tell ancestry.com just what I think of their overpriced membership costs and shoddy software.
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 3:42PM GMT
I installed 2014, 'converted' my 2012 file to 2014, unlinked my existing 2012 based online tree, uploaded a 'new' tree from 2014 and never could get it to sync. I honestly don't know how they can Beta test a new version, supposedly to work out the bugs and then release the 'final' version that still has major bugs....
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions