Search for content in message boards

FTM 2014 (download) font size and display issues

FTM 2014 (download) font size and display issues

Posted: 16 Sep 2013 1:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello, I had no problems with download and install. However, the font size is so small it is almost impossible to read anything on the screen. I have to be right on top of it. No matter where I click, using the mouse wheel does not change the font size. The resolution of my computer is 1920x1080, and I am able to change every other page, including web pages, so I can read them. But can't change FTM 2014. Additionally, on the family tree page I am currently looking at, for example, the parents are both shown in boldface which means that the bottom portion of their names is cut off because there isn't enough room. Also, when I click on something like tools ->options, the box is too small for the amount of material in it. Therefore the material is overlapping each other. Another person wrote that names pile on top of each other in the children section and I have experienced that as well. The only way to correct it is to exit the program. Please tell me there is a solution! Thank you.

Re: FTM 2014 (download) font size and display issues

Posted: 16 Sep 2013 2:27AM GMT
In FTM 2014, in the Tools Menu, you can choose Options and set the font size to 'Use large fonts"
Within some of the screens, you can adjust the various sections of the screen to open up more or less space. You move those section dividers with your mouse.
You can also close down the Name Index section at the left to give more space to the rest of the screen. To do that, click on the little shaded box above the home button. To restore it, click on that shaded box again.
You can adjust your overall Windows font size to use a larger font. I have 2 large high-res monitors and set my Windows font size to 125% to make things easier to read.
To change all fonts in Windows 7 from your desktop, right-click anywhere on an empty place, then select Display in the lower left corner of the screen.

Barbara

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 4:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Sep 2013 9:05PM GMT
As I read in another post, if you close FTM without first closing your tree you may run into this extremely small font problem (I did). You need to get into the habit of opening FTM, open your tree, do your work, close your tree, close FTM.

I've set my Windows font size to custom size 149%. If I use the Windows standard 150% I experience problems with various programs - like the right portion of the window not showing on the screen. If I use 149% I don't have that problem.

With FTM 2014 I'm using the Window's 149% and FTM's no caps [I meant no "Use large fonts"] with only minor issues with FTM fonts - the bottoms of the parents names in the Family Group View panel disappear (but the names are still readable) , the name you are on in the Index panel disappears (but is viewable in the Tree Viewer) and the name in the Editing panel is shortened. Until FTM fixes this bug this is the best solution I've found for my poor eyes!

Tony

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 4:25PM GMT
Tony,
Are you using Windows 7? If so how do you adjust the font percent?
I used to be able to set the % myself in Windows XP. In Windows 7, I only have a choice for 100%, 125% or 150%. 125% works for my monitors, so not a big issue, just curious if there are other adjustments. I used to use 110% in XP.

Barbara

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 4:32PM GMT
Barbara, I just made that adjustment myself. I have Windows 7. Control Panel->Fonts->Set custom text size->and I had a sliding ruler that allows you to adjust.

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 4:38PM GMT
Barbara, thank you for this post. My original Windows font size was already set to 150%, and as I said in the other post I have now tried 149% as suggested. I have adjusted the sizes of the various sections but still have had problems. Thank you again.

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 4:39PM GMT
Thank you for your suggestions. I will now remember to close the tree! I have adjusted my font size from 150 to 149 as you suggested. Could you tell me how to do no caps please? Thank you for your help.

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 4:42PM GMT
I'm using Windows 7. From the "Start" button, open the "control panel", in the upper right search for "font size", select "Make text & other items larger or smaller" in the upper left, select the bottom option on the top left side "set custom text size", type in your custom font size on the following screen.

I've use this setting for FTM 2010 for years with no problems.

Tony

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 4:50PM GMT
I should have said not to use FTM's "Use large fonts" rather than "no caps" when using Windows 149%. It is under Tools, Options, General.

Tony

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 5:02PM GMT
Got it! Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions