Search for content in message boards

Chief William Charles Roger-descendants

Chief William Charles Roger-descendants

Posted: 18 Jun 2007 9:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
tracking family history... I am great great granddaughter of Cherokee Chief William Charles Rogers. Trying to piece together family history.

Re: Chief William Charles Roger-descendants

Posted: 18 Jun 2007 10:03PM GMT
Surnames: Rogers, Jackson, Wright and Wilder etc.
Don't know if there is a connection or not. My great-great-grandfather was Allen P. Rogers born abt. 1804 in NC. Since he is from NC, I am assuming Cherokee, but could be another tribe.

I have a cousin who remembers her mother telling her that her grandmother was a full blood Indian. Her grandmother was Cleopatra Rogers born about 1854 in Ala. Her family in 1860 Franklin County, Ala. are Allen P.; Elizabeth, whom census says he married within the year; Margaret age 17; Melonta age 15; Wm. D. age 12; Lucinda, age 10; John C. age 8; Cleopatra age 6; Sarah J. age 4; Modenia age 2; and Manda B. age 1. In 1865 a daughter, Deverlin P. was born.

I don't know if there are older children or not.

I have found that Rogers is also spelled Rodgers for this family.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Nancy Carolyn

Posted: 18 Jun 2007 10:08PM GMT
Who was William's wife? Where did they live? I have what is said to be Cherokee on my father's side. His great grand mother was a Mary Rogers born abt 1814-1818. His family originates in Southern York Co, PA. There is a widow Sarah nearby who may be her mother but I can not determine who her father was. There is a Joseph and a William in the 1810 Census. So either is possible.
They are known to have ties across the borders in Maryland.

Posted: 18 Jun 2007 10:09PM GMT
Nancy,
Thanks for writing but I am searching for the Oklahoma/Arksansa Cherokees. I think NC is different..not totally sure though..novice at this!

Posted: 18 Jun 2007 10:11PM GMT
Hello..
I am referring to the Cherokee Chief Rogers. His wife was Nannie Haynie. He was chief in the early 1900's.
Think it's different from what you are referring too. not totally sure though.

Posted: 19 Jun 2007 1:45PM GMT
Surnames: Rogers/Rodgers, Jackson, Wright and Wilder
Jill,
Do you know where Chief Rogers came from? his family? I am not
really up to date on history but I know a lot of Cherokees were in NC and
some move to other places or was moved to other places. The Trail of Tears which I have a read a little about occurred in the mid 1800's.
Jill, since you are new at this, find out as much as you can about your family from older family members. Stories passed down in family can help when searching. Dates and places, birth dates, death dates, all can help in tracking you family.
Search Census records to try and trace their history. This is just some suggestions.

What I know about my Rogers family, I have had to start with what I know and go from there, which to begin with was very little.

Nancy

Posted: 19 Jun 2007 2:47PM GMT
Jill, I've read your post and others with some interest. I also have documented Native American blood in my Rogers lines and I also have the name William and Charles so I'm intrigued.

You said yours were AR/OK Cherokee and not NC but in fact, the AR/OK Cherokee were in NC/TN/VA until 1838 when they were taken to OK on the "Trail of Tears". I suspect you know this but couldn't tell from some of the other posts. I believe it also happened that even individuals who stayed behind after 1838 sometimes migrated to OK later.

The first thing you should do if you have not already is find your ancestors alive within 10 years or so of 1900 and see if any filed Guion-Miller applications. If you do not know what this is, contact me off line and I'll tell you how to do it.

Aside from that, if you can send me info on your William and Charles I'll see if I can find a connection. Worth a shot ....

Gary

Posted: 19 Jun 2007 2:58PM GMT
You'll find that Capt. John Rogers and Charles Rogers were here in McMinn with James and others. Capt. John left here in 1825 with a contingency from the area and the Springplace Moravian Mission for the region that became Washington Co., in North east Arkansas. The Old Settlers began a westward migration in 1809 with several groups leaving here on thru 1835....before the TOT in '38. I bit of study on the Ross treaty of '35 will help you understand more. Capt. John is accredited for founding Fort Smith AR which is in Sebastian Co nowadays

www.rootsweb.com/~tnmcmin2

Posted: 6 Sep 2007 5:19PM GMT
hi am the grandaughter to pearl rogers and my great grandmother was a cherokee her name was mabel roger any help?
rose ann

Posted: 6 Sep 2007 5:20PM GMT
mabel rogers sorry that didn't come out clear in my typing
per page

Find a board about a specific topic