Search for content in message boards

Passport Documents of Hungarian Grandmother Maria (PETRAS) Kaltz

Passport Documents of Hungarian Grandmother Maria (PETRAS) Kaltz

Posted: 31 Aug 2013 4:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BURCSA, BURGESS, PETRAS, KALTZ
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask or not. . .but my grandmother REALLY wants to see her mother's passport. She saw it once, when she was younger, and has in recent years been saying how she would just love to see it again--that it would mean so much.

Her mother, Maria (Marie, Mary) PETRAS (born 1912) in Hungary, in an area that I think was on the border of the carpathean mountains, near slovakia. She spoke Magyar, but had to learn it in order to move back to the United States to meet her father (who spoke Hungarian) before that she spoke Slovak as a first language (or some version of it). Here's a little background knowledge:

Maria's mother (Maria BURCSA or BURGESS--americanized version) came to US to marry Janos (John) PETRAS. She ended up not liking it here (Detroit area, Michigan) and left her husband Janos in order to move back to Hungary. After moving back to Hungary she realized that she was pregnant. She did not tell Janos who was back in Michigan. She had her child (Maria PETRAS) and raised her until the age of 6 or so. Then, Maria BURCSA died. Janos' family in Hungary (same area) found out of the child Maria, and took her in. Maria lived with her uncle and cousins for a few years before leaving for Michigan to meet her father who had only recently found out about her. She was 8-9 years old when she traveled to the USA in 1920 or 1921.

Being that her father was nationalized, she gained her citizenship through him. Therefore, I do not know if she applied for a Hungarian passport, or an American passport. Does anyone know how I would go about finding this out? I have tried searching the national archives, but haven't found anything really. It's really important to my grandmother that she gets to see this document. I'm trying so hard to make this happen for her. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and I do not believe Maria Petras ever traveled outside of the US after her immigration. Therefore I have reason to believe she would have applied for a passport within the two years prior to her departure in 1920/21.

Re: Passport Documents of Hungarian Grandmother Maria (PETRAS) Kaltz

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 1:27AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Here is some info to analyze. Ancestry.com allowed use of their immigration data this weekend and I came across this data. Some of it is probably not the right Maria. Below is info on how a 3rd party can obtain US passport info. Good luck in your search.

New York Passenger Lists 1820-1957 SS Mauretanian Passengers Sailing from Cherbourne Arrival; New York July 8, 1922 birth location/other: radsow b about 1914
Admitted Petras, Maria (handwritten “with line”) age 8 female daughter single can read read what language: Magyar , can write, Last residence: CzechoSllovak town: v. Janosovo (VelJanosovo) , Uncle Petras, Istvan , V. Janozovo Final Destination: Ohio Cleveland total passengers:20

Board of Aliens Held for Special Inquiry S.S. Mauretania, Cunard Line
arrived July 14, 1922 Port of Departure: July Donnelly Maria Petras
cause of detention: LPC, Under 16, AC 1:00 age 8 female had breakfast, dinner and supper
++++++++++++++++++++++++
New York Passenger Lists 1820-1957 Maria Patras arrival : May 14, 1913 age 3 birth abt 1910 in Hungary Femal e Ethnicity: Slovakian Port of Departure: Bremen Port of Arrival New York, NY ship name: Kaiser Wilhelm Der Grosse Travelling with Julia Patras age 22 housewife b in Hungary city: Fadkoce? Name and Address of nearest relative or friends in Country whence alien came: Fath baby is Fvanics Cadhocs, Holyoin Henng???
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Maria Petra arrival date: July 6, 1920 born about 1909 age 11 months female born in Hungary Ethnicity: Slovakian Port of Dept: Bremen Port of Arrival: NY, NY. Ship name: Kaiser Wilhelm Der Grosse travelling with Anna Petro age 23, and Anna Petro age 2 Last permanent Residence; Hajdo? Nearest relative or friend in country alien came from: Father Horvath Peter Kujto Goluik Barrys Hungary
++++++++++++++++
List or manifest of Alien Passengers for the U.S. sailing from Hamburg on May 15, 1912 SS Kaiserin Auguste Victoria Port of Arrival New York, NY
Janos Petras 48 in hospital/ discharged b Hungary/ Slovak Location: Aradacs farm to Ohio, Akron Maria 46 housewife Pat child Gyongy?? 5
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Detroit Border Crossings and Passenger and Crew Lists 1905-1907 Port of Arrival Detroit Michigan Petras, Janos 10-27- 1909 Passport and date of landing and name of steamship: 524-090656 C.P.5 Microfilm #M148_78
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/npic/npic_872.html
Obtain Copies of Passport Records
There are two options for obtaining copies of your passport records:
1. Passport Records for Issuances 1925 – Present
a. Requesting Your Own Record
Passport Services maintains United States passport records for passports issued from 1925 to the present. These records normally consist of applications for United States passports and supporting evidence of United States citizenship, and are protected by the Privacy Act of 1974, (5 USC 552(a)). Passport records do not include evidence of travel such as entrance/exit stamps, visas, residence permits, etc., since this information is entered into the passport book after it is issued.
The Privacy Act allows you to obtain copies of records in your own name and the records of your minor children. To request these records, please submit a typed or clearly printed NOTARIZED request that provides:
1. Your full name at birth and any subsequent name changes and/or the full name of your minor child or children, if you are requesting their records;
2. Your date and place of birth and/or those of your minor child or children;
3. Your current mailing address;
4. Your current daytime telephone number;
5. Your current e-mail address, if available;
6. Your reason for the request;
7. The dates or estimated dates your passports were issued;
8. Your passport numbers or any other information that will help us locate your records; and
9. A copy of requestor’s valid Federal or State issued photo identification (driver’s license)
There is a no fee to search for your passport record if you are not requesting a certified copy.
b. Certified Passport Records
Certified copies of passport records may be requested. If you would like a certified copy of a passport record, the certification fee is $50.00. Checks or money orders should be made payable to “Department of State".
c. Third-Party Requests
Third party requests must include one of the following:
1. Notarized consent from the owner of the passport records,
2. Proof of guardianship,
3. Death certificate, or
4. Court order signed by a judge of competent jurisdiction requesting the Department of State to release passport records.
The only exception to this requirement is when the owner of the passport records was born 100 years or more ago. Your third party request does not have to be notarized but should include the information described in the section above that covers requesting your own record. You may be responsible for fees as set forth at: foia.state.gov/Request/Fees.aspx.
d. Mailing Address
All requests for passport records issued from 1925 to present should be mailed to:
Department of State
Office of Legal Affairs
Law Enforcement Liaison Division
1111 19th Street, N.W. – Rm. 500
Washington, DC 20036
2. Passport Records for Issuances Prior to 1925

++++The National Archives and Records Administration maintain records for passport issuances prior to 1925. You may write to them at the following address:

National Archives and Records Administration
Archives 1
Reference Branch
8th & Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 2:32AM GMT
Thank you! I did have the ship passenger information and the manifest documents:) However, the information about obtaining copies of passports was something I did not have and thank you for that. I will see if I can get in touch with both the US and NARA passport offices and try to find this thing! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 3:01AM GMT
NARA would only have passport applications of American Citizens... the one arriving in 1922 was not listed as an American Citizen

And as far as finding anything in Slovakia is very unlikely

Robert

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 3:05AM GMT
The manifest notation "with line" actually states "with line 1" meaning she was traveling with the person on line 1, who was Maria DUDAS from the same village in Slovakia destination Cleveland OH

Robert

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 3:07AM GMT
Thank you Robert. I already have the manifest, and yes it says she traveled "with" line one. Thanks for helping.

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 3:07AM GMT
Both Maria PETRAS and Maria DUDAS were held for 5 days due to both being under 16, most likely until a male relative came for them

Robert

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 3:19AM GMT
If John and Mary lived in Cleveland then you can find their marriage record at

https://familysearch.org/search

Robert Jerin
Croatian heritage Museum
Cleveland Ohio

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 3:34AM GMT
Thank you! I have all of that information. The only thing I really need/want is just a physical copy of her passport for personal reasons of my grandmother's. I know all about Mary and her family, but my grandmother for some reasons just really wants to see that passport again. It meant a lot to her. I'm trying to find it, but I have no idea where to look beyond the suggestions that have been posted here. I appreciate your help

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 10:33AM GMT
As I said, she arrived as an alien and thus would have been traveling on a Hungarian passport. I doubt that you will find a copy anyplace. The family must have either stashed it away or threw it away.

Also I find NO record of her father's Naturalization Papers, so he may not have been a Citizen.

Perhaps you should post to the Slovakia board

Robert
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions