Search for content in message boards

Boyer Family, Plantation Owners, in Buffalo, Linton, Hancock, GA

Boyer Family, Plantation Owners, in Buffalo, Linton, Hancock, GA

Posted: 1 Jul 2002 10:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Boyer, Swint
Need info on William Mirabeau Boyer, James P., Joel C., George, John, Jim, Jasper, McDonald, Gordon, Elias, Ann, Mirabeau, and possibly if anyone can tell me the father of Samuel Porter Boyer, the mixed child in this family that the plantation owner had with a slave girl. They had a plantation with a famous grapevine design on the ceiling of their colonial style home. It was next to the Hitchcock-Nicholls mansion. Ann grinded grist for the government during the war. Any info will help me.

Re: Boyer Family, Plantation Owners, in Buffalo, Linton, Hancock, GA

Posted: 1 Jul 2002 10:46PM GMT
Also I found in a book that this Boyer family was from Pennsylvania, and came to Georgia via PA, MD, VA, then hopefully GA. In my research, the family came from Scotland, which I believe they got there from ancestors being French Huguenots, refugees from France, that fled for their lives for religious pursecution after the Revocation of Nantes.

Posted: 18 Dec 2002 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 May 2004 11:20AM GMT
I am also trying to find out about the Hancock County Boyers. I am the Grandson of Mirabeau and Georgia Boyer.I visit the Cemetery in Linton a couple of times a year and would like to know more about all my relatives buried there. Gordon and Bruce were my great uncles. If you know of any books relating to the family please let me know. Thanks

Posted: 19 Dec 2002 8:26PM GMT
The Boyer family that you are talking about sounds like the one I am looking for any information on. If you have any I would love to hear from you. It would be a big help!

Posted: 20 Dec 2002 5:50AM GMT
Edited: 8 Aug 2005 11:38PM GMT
Surnames: Boyer
This Georgia Boyer family that I found out about is related to my ex-husband. Yet, I am also a Boyer! My Boyer line is not related that I know of yet to his Boyer family. Most of my line is found in upstate NY, yet I need to find out about the Georgia family too as my children are related to both Boyer lines. I found out alot about this family through a book called "The History of Hancock County, Georgia". Please email me directly at BandGSwetman@aol.com.
Let me know what you do know and if you have any photo's or pictures of headstones, obits, etc. Thanks, Gail (Boyer) Swetman

Posted: 20 Dec 2002 6:16AM GMT
Edited: 8 Aug 2005 11:38PM GMT
Surnames: Boyer, Bruce
Robin, WOW! Do you have any pictures or stories you can share of your Mirabeau? Do you know the names of your line beyond you with Mirabeau? Do you have any pictures of gravestones from the Cemetery from the Linton, GA area, or obits, etc. ? I am interested in this family as I am researching 2 different Boyer lines. Mine which comes from upstate NY and the Georgia family which are both relatives of my children. I would like as much info as possible for my genealogy information. I found most of the info in a book named "The History of Hancock County, Georgia" in my library. My ex hubby and my ex sis-in-law are descendants of Samuel Porter Boyer, a half brother of Mirabeau and his brothers and sister. Their mother's name was Ann Bruce and their father was William Boyer. I believe he was a preacher that married other couples too. If any of this sounds familiar, please email me at BandGSwetman@aol.com.

R.Bruce Boyer (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2003 12:30PM GMT
Hello again Gail.
So Far all I can tell you is, My Grandfather was Mirabeau H. Boyer, born 9/9/1882 and died 8/15/1969. He is buried in the Linton Community Cemetery in Linton. My Grandmother was Georgia Boyer born 7/15/1887 and died in May 1979, and is buried next to Mirabeau. My Grandfathers Father was also Mirabeau H. Boyer i'm not sure when he was born but he died in Hawkinsville, Ga. on 3/14/1898. He served as Battallion Bugler for the 12th Ga. light artillery battalion and was with Gen. Lee at Appomattox when he surrendered. He married Viviana Skrine from Sandersville on 10-06-1870. The next time I go to Linton I will take some photographs at the cemetery for you.I am looking for Mirabeau's father.I am the last of the Boyers to carry the name in my branch of the family, as I have no brothers or sons. I am trying to research as far back as I can to make the connection to Elias Boyer and Ann Bruce. I do this so when my daughter has children someday they will know their roots. Keep in touch if you have any new finds. Good luck in your searching.
Robin Bruce Boyer.

Posted: 29 Jul 2003 3:25PM GMT
Edited: 11 May 2004 7:00PM GMT
Surnames: BOYER, BRUCE, VEAL
Below is the information that I have pertaining to this line of the BOYER family of Hancock Co. GA. I am also a descendant of Elias BOYER and Ann BRUCE thru John BOYER ---James Madison BOYER.

William Mirabeau BOYER and John BOYER were brothers sons of Elias and Ann BRUCE BOYER making Mirabeau and Georgia 2nd cousins.

Ancestors of Mirabeau H. BOYER
29 Jul 2003
==========================================================================================
+5. BOYER (b.Scotland)
+4. Elias BOYER (b.1759-Pennsylvannia d.1833-Hancock County,GA)
+3. William Mirabeau BOYER (b.8 Nov 1804-Virginia d.Feb 1886-Hancock County,GA)
|+4. Ann BRUCE (b.Abt 1782-Virginia d.Georgia)
+2. Joel Crawford BOYER (b.2 Dec 1831-Hancock County,GA d.27 Mar 1920-Hancock County,GA)
|| +5. William HITCHCOCK (b.Of Albermarle Co. VA.)
||+4. Meshack HITCHCOCK (b.Abt 1758 d.Abt 5 Feb 1835-Hancock CO. Georgia)
|||+5. Elizabeth
|+3. Mary Ann HITCHCOCK (b.1805 d.17 Jan 1881-Hancock County,GA)
| +4. Elizabeth JONES (d.Abt 5 Mar 1849-Hancock CO. Georgia)
1. Mirabeau H. BOYER (b.9 Sep 1883-Georgia d.27 Aug 1969-Georgia)
+2. Sophrona Ellen GARLAND (b.20 Jul 1841 d.24 Dec 1911-Hancock County,GA)
+3. Sarah Garland HERRINDINE

Ancestors of Georgia Pierce BOYER
29 Jul 2003
==========================================================================================
+5. BOYER (b.Scotland)
+4. Elias BOYER (b.1759-Pennsylvannia d.1833-Hancock County,GA)
+3. John BOYER (b.1809-Georgia d.Bef 1881-Hancock Co. GA)
|+4. Ann BRUCE (b.Abt 1782-Virginia d.Georgia)
+2. John Thomas BOYER (b.17 Feb 1851-Hancock Co. GA d.29 May 1914-Hancock Co. GA)
|| +5. Nathan VEAL Sr. (b.1750-Virginia d.1833-Washington Co. GA)
||+4. Nathan VEAL Jr. (b.Abt 1779-Henry Co. VA d.Aft 1860-Washington Co. GA)
|||+5. Julianne HARRIS (d.1785)
|+3. Salathe M.A. VEAL (b.Abt 1819)
| +4. Sallie THOMASON
1. Georgia Pierce BOYER (b.15 Jul 1887 d.2 May 1979-Georgia)
+2. Aquilla THOMAS (b.6 Apr 1860 d.6 Dec 1910-Hancock Co.,Georgia)

Posted: 29 Jul 2003 4:50PM GMT
Edited: 11 May 2004 11:20AM GMT
Hello Mrs Margaret. Do you Know anything about where Elias Boyers Father and Mother came here from. All I can find out is that Elias may have been born in Scotland and he married Ann Bruce in Alexandria. Are you going to be at the Boyer Family Reunion this Year? Have we ever met? I was in Linton A few months back for the funeral of my uncle Ralph Boyer.

Posted: 29 Jul 2003 5:07PM GMT
Edited: 19 Apr 2004 5:42PM GMT
Surnames: BOYER, BRUCE
Wow that was quick!! :)

No, I have been desperately searching for the father of Elias BOYER as well as Ann BRUCE . I figure finding either would definately help the other. I do have several references to Elias having been born in PA instead of Scotland though and have a copy of the marriage certificate of Elias and Ann BRUCE BOYER from Alexandria. I took a trip to Alexandria a few years back to do research on Elias and Ann. Took a picture of the renovated church of where they were married. Also went on up to Philidelphia to do some research, but my time was limited.

Yes, I have been to one of the BOYER family reunions, about 3 years ago. I am now in WV and it is difficult to plan trips down for the reunion. My parents are still in Hancock Co., so I usually plan trips around holidays.

Thank you for responding so quickly, and feel free to email me off board. I probably have other various information you might be interested in.

Sincerely,
Margaret BOYER Allen
Fairmont WV
Formerly of Hancock Co. GA.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic