Search for content in message boards

David Travis

Travis family of N.C.

Lucinda Thomas Schaefer (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Travis Merritt Thomas West
My mother was a Travis who married a Thomas. Her mother was Sally Lou Osborne who m. Wade Hampton Travis. He was b. in Caswell Cty., N.C. on March 7, 1892. His parents were John Thomas Travis b. Feb. 29, 1856 in Caswell Cty., N.C. who m. Harriet Lou Sledge. John's parents were John Franklin Travis and Mary West. John's siblings (he is the youngest known) were May, William, Ben, and Jude. They married in 1843. This is all I know about this line. I don't even know dobs on many of these people. Do you think we connect? My Merritt family connects into the Thomas line from mainly Ga., but there are some from Pendalton, S.C. Claire Merriett who married Babe Ruth is in our line and she died in N.Y., N.Y. My Travis family members mostly still live in Caswell Cty., N.C.

David Travis

Posted: 9 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2001 10:51PM GMT
Surnames: Travis, Moore, Merritt
Desparately looking for information on David Travis who married Judith Moore on 04 Feb 1782 in Caswell County. The marriage bond has Daniel Merritt as a witness. Both David Travis and Daniel Merritt were born in New York around 1760.
Also, who were the parents of Judith Moore ? Believe she was born in Virginia.
Posted: 10 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jul 2002 1:57PM GMT
Surnames: MOORE
I too am looking for Moore's. ARTHUR MOORE about this same time as you. My Moore's were from NC. Have you check out all NC sources?

Daniel Merritt

E.H. Merritt (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Merritt
I know a fair amount about Daniel Merritt of Caswell Cty. who was witnessed David Travis' wedding. I'm curious what you know about Daniel.

Looking for information on Moore's

Lisa Moore, Thornton (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Moore
I am looking for Moore's from Semora, or Milton N.C.
Anyone possiably connecting with a Charlie Branch Moore, or a Harry Carson Moore.

Travis's of Yanceyville NC

Posted: 14 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 9:57PM GMT
Surnames: Travis, Gatewood, Ingram
My great-granfthr was James Francis Marion Travis who lived near Yanceyville NC and Danville, Va. His wife was Ann E. Gatewood...His father was Ellis Travis(who also had 2 brothers, Stephen and Isaac). I am trying to find their father/mothers records..the brothers all were married in Yanceyville NC in 1836. JFM Travis was born in 1842 and died in 1920. I would also like to know more about the Travis's who live in the Yancyville area!

Travis of Caswell Cty., N.C.

Lucinda Thomas Schaefer (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Travis
No, I have not found those names. However, can you please give dates so that I can be on the lookout?

Travises in Caswell Co., NC

Jennifer Daves (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Durham, Travis
My great great grandmother was Lula Josephine Travis who married John Durham. Her father was Mack Mathin Travis. Have you come across him in your searches on the Travises. I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to find anyone further back in the Travis line in my family. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Travises

Jennifer Daves (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Lula was born in 1870 and from the information I have gathered so far, her father, Mack, was born around 1828. I know she had at least one brother who is also married into my family, but I can't remember his name. I think it was Witcher.

Re: Travis's of Yanceyville NC

Posted: 31 Dec 2001 8:54AM GMT
Surnames: Travis Carter Ingram Sledge West Gatewood
My Travis family is definitely from the Yanceyville area and some are still there today. I am beginning to fit together the pieces and here is what I know. John Franklin Travis b. 1802 in Va., d. aft. Mar. 1864 in Caswell Cty.,N.C., m. Mary B. West June 26, 1843 Caswell Cty., N.C., she was b. 1817 Caswell Cty., N.C., d. aft. Mar. 4, 1864 Caswell Cty., N.C. I now have 8 known children:

William Travis b. 1844
Frances Travis b. 1846
James K. P. Travis b. 1847
John Thomas Travis b. Feb. 29, 1856
Mary J. Travis b. March 1850
Ben Travis
Jude Travis
May Travis
all b. in Caswell Cty., N.C.

I do know that the West, Sledge, Ingram, and Travis families all intermarried. I suspect that my John Franklin Travis is related to Stephen, Isaac, and Ellis but can't connect them together. John Travis is listed on a lot of documents in the 1850's and 1860's for Caswell Cty., N.C. Mary B. West Travis was the daughter of Capt. Benjamin C. West, Sr. who d. Dec. 9, 1849, Caswell Cty., N.C., m. Mary C. ______? from Va. b. 1794. She d. aft. Sept. 12, 1850 Caswell Cty., N.C., and they had 8 known West Children. She was his second wife but I don't know anything about the first one, she is mentioned in the will but not by name, only as first wife. Presumed dead since it is in reference to their children.

John Thomas Travis m. Harriett Lou Sledge abt. 1885 we believe in Caswell Cty., N.C. She was b. mar. 30, 1867 Caswell Cty., N.C., d. Mar. 5, 1950, Danville, Va., buried at Highland Memorial Park, Daville, Va. with her hus. He d. May 3, 1936 Caswell Cty, N.C. She was the daughter of Franklin (Frank) L. (most likely Littleton) Sledge b. in Rockingham, N.C., and Louisa Jane Billings. His father was Littleton Sledge and mother Susannah Ray (Susan). John and Harriett had 10 children:
William Franklin Travis April 13, 1887
John Henry Travis Sept. 26, 1888
Pearl Florine Travis May 30,1890
Charles Carter Travis June 2, 1890 (adopted by the Travis family, believe Carter to be his original surname)
Wade Hampton Travis, Sr. (my grandfather)mar. 7, 1892
Lelia Blanche Travis Aug. 11, 1893
Lou Edna Travis Sept. 13, 1895
Eva May Travis April 28, 1897
Ethel Spencer Travis Aug. 21, 1899
Eugene Marion Travis June 23, 1908
all b. in Caswell Cty., N.C.

Caswell Cty., N.C. cencus of 1850 of John's family:
32 437 439 Travis John 48 M . Farmer . Virginia . . . . .
33 437 439 Travis Mary 33 F . . . Caswell NC . . . . .
34 437 439 Travis William 6 M . . . Caswell NC . . . . .
35 437 439 Travis Frances 4 F . . . Caswell NC . . . . .
36 437 439 Travis James K. P. 3 M . . . Caswell NC . . . . .
37 437 439 Travis Mary J. 7/12 F . . . Caswell NC . . . . .
38 437 439 Travis Sarah 51 F . . . Virginia . . X . .
39 437 439 Travis Frances 36 F . . . Virginia . . X

C. Sledge is listed in book T, 1867, page 252, money recd. by William H. Gatewood adm of John C. Simpson decd of George A. Travis, A. Y. Stokes, Wm. H Hodges, C. Sledge, Ellis Travis, Moses Simpson a legatee, Martha G. Simpson a legatee, H. H. Curtis, Robt A. Gatewood, R. T. Carter, Wm. A. Fretwell, Wm C. Travis, et. al. Page 254 shows money recd by William H. Gatewood estate of Stephen Travis decd. One bond against James and Wm. H. Burns.

More proof that these families are linked. How does George A. Travis fit into the mix. Is he a brother? What about William C. Travis?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions