Search for content in message boards

Jacob and Elizabeth(Nekola) Mlsna

Jacob and Elizabeth(Nekola) Mlsna

Posted: 6 Feb 2006 1:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Nov 2006 12:13AM GMT
Surnames: Mlsna,Nekola,Glatz,Brueggen,Allen,Lueck
Loooking for more info. on any Mlsna family history around Vernon,LaCrosse,Wood,and Monroe counties. I found out that Jacob and Elizabeth had 12 children and 9 survived into adulthood. Jacob and Elizabeth came from Bohemia I think around the mid 1880's or maybe even earlier...I've found a land record for French Island in 1863 for a Jacob Mlsna for 40 acres (same?). The 12 children were Joseph,Thomas,Mary,Elizabeth,Albert,Anna,Frank,James,Charles,Barbera,Jacob,and John. Some were buried in the Catholic Cemetery in LaCrosse. Maybe someone has a record of their crossing to America? Thanks-Scott

Jacob and Elizabeth (Nekola) MLSNA

Posted: 6 Feb 2006 5:01AM GMT
The FamilySearch database of the 1880 US Census has no MLSNA, so the family must have arrived later. They're not in the index to the Vernon Co. History of 1884.

Tombstone Inscriptions of Vernon Co., WI, only

MLSNA, Sylvester T. (16 Aug. 1916 - 28 Oct. 1996, USN, WWII & Korea, & wf. Helen M. [BJORNSTAD] (30 Aug. 1915 - _ ) .

In 1930, the census database for Vernon Co. has MLSNA
Kathrine, b. ca. 1878
Frank A., 1891 [two possibilities on SSDI]
Mary S., 1891
Irine, 1916
Arnold, 1921 [2 N 1920 - July 1982, Cashton, Monroe, WI]
Frank, 1901 [16 F 1901 - Aug. 1957]
Orma, 1904 [21 Jan. 1904 - May 1983, LaCrosse]
Bernard, 1927
Cecelia, 1928
Rosemary, 1925
Antonia, 1870

Above, I added specific dates that MAY match from the Social Security Death Index.

Good Luck!

Re: Jacob and Elizabeth (Nekola) MLSNA

Posted: 22 Feb 2006 1:22AM GMT
Thanks! much appreciated-Scott

Re: Jacob and Elizabeth(Nekola) Mlsna

Posted: 1 Jan 2011 11:11PM GMT
Surnames: Mlsna Misner Nekola Toeller
I believe that Jacob is listed as Misner in the 1870 Vernon County census. All of the names match up. His wife is Elizabeth and her paents (Nicolai) are living with them. If my speculation is right, then her sister is my ggm who was Rosa (Nekola) Toeller. Her Obituary(below)has them coming to America in 1862.

MRS. ROSA TOELLER
DIES TUESDAY AT DAUGHTER’S HOME
Old Resident of La Crosse Expires at the Age of Eighty¬-Five Years

ROSA NEKALA TOELLER, widow of Frank Toeller, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Stangl, 518 south Tenth Street, at 1:30 a.m. today.
Mrs. Toeller, had she lived till Jan¬uary 1st would have been 86 years old. She came to La Crosse direct from her native village of Spali in the for¬mer Austrian Empire, now a part of Czecho Slovakia, with her parents and four brothers and sisters. Sailing from the port of Bremen in 1862 the family arrived in the harbor of New York after an ocean voyage extending over a period of six weeks on a sailing vessel.
Rosa Nekala was married to Frank Toeller on Sept. 27th 1864. Mr. Toeller died in August 1886.
To this union were born eleven children, two of whom died in infan¬cy. There has been no death in. the immediate family for forty-three years.
The family resided at 417 North Fourth Street where all of the children were born.
Later for a brief period, Mrs. Toel¬ler lived directly across the street from the old homestead, at 420 North Fourth Street, where she resided until the ordination of her son, Henry to the priesthood, twenty-two years ago. Since that time she has made her home with him, returning to La Crosse each year on extended visits during the summer months.
During one of these visits In 1927 she fell ill at the home of her daugh¬ter, Mrs. John Stangl from which ill¬ness she did not recover sufficiently return to her home at Marshfield.
The children are Mrs. John Stangl and Mrs. Leonard Roth of La Crosse, Mrs. Anton Jost and Albert M. Toel¬ler of Milwaukee; William of Los Angeles Calif.; John C. and Jos. J. of Battle Creek. Mich., and Anna M. and Rev. H. P. of Marshfield.
Rev. H. P. Toeller is pastor at Sa¬cred Heart Catholic parish in Marshfield.
Surviving are nine children, twenty-six grandchildren and thirty-four great grandchildren.
Funeral services will take place at St Joseph's Cathedral Thursday at 9 a.m. Rev. Father H. P. Toeller officiating at a solemn high mass assisted by Rev. James Molina, a nephew of Mrs. Toeller’s as deacon and Rev. Lester Seeman, this city, as sub deacon. Interment will take place on the family burial plot at St. Joseph’s cemetery, this city.
Mrs. Toeller’s expressed wish before passing, was that there be no flowers. The family therefore requests that friends omit flowers. ¬
La Crosse Tribune, Sept. 25, 1928, page 6.

Any information that you can provide on the Nekola family would be appreciated.

Jeff

Re: Jacob and Elizabeth(Nekola) Mlsna

Posted: 4 Jan 2011 6:10PM GMT
Let me start with what I am sure of: I have the 3 Aug 2006 Wis State Journal Obit for Clara Hericks MLSNA [1910-2006], widow of John MLSNA [8 Mar 1901-7 Jul 1992 from SSDI]. I also have a copy of the 18 Jan 2009 obit for one of their sons, Kenneth [1939-2009].
I believe that this John Mlsna would be the son of Joseph & Wilhemina Mlsna as shown in the 1910 census of Jefferson, Monroe, Wisconsin. I think the same Joseph & Wilhemina appear in the 1900 Census of Greenfield Twp, La Crosse, WI but of course, John has not yet been born here.
Is any of this of interest/use to you?

Re: Jacob and Elizabeth (Nekola) Mlsna

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 8:38PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Edited: 4 Nov 2012 10:38PM GMT
Surnames: Mlsna, Nekola
Jacob and Elizabeth Mlsna arrived
at New Orleans on 13 Dec 1860
on Ship Anna Delius from Bremen, Germany
See attached image of ship passenger list page
Last name misspelled as "Milsna"

I located this record after finding Jacob Mlsna's 12 Mar 1866 Declaration of Intention to become a US citizen in La Crosse County naturalization records (see record in upper left corner of the image at:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-29966-2065-0?c...

The Declaration of Intention recorded that he arrived at New Orleans in Dec 1860 and with that info I was able to find the attached arrival record.

Jacob was issued a federal land patent for 40 acres in the town of Washington, La Crosse County in 1863 (Township: 15-N, Range: 5-W, NW qtr of NE qtr of Section 33 -- that would be east of what is now County Rd PI and about a mile north of the county line).

Jacob and Elizabeth were in Hamburg, Vernon County at the 1870 census with five children (Hamburg is adjacent to and south of Washington, La Crosse County) . Their last name is misspelled as Misner. Elisabeth's parents, Mathias (aka, Matej) and Mary (aka, Maria) Nekola (last name misspelled as Nicolai) were also in the household.

Burial records for the Mlsna and Nekola families are available in La Crosse Library genealogy indexes at http://www.lacrosselibrary.org/genealogy/historicevents.asp

Look there for Matej Nekola, Maria Nekola, Jacob Mlsna, and Elizabeth Mlsna. (Make sure the "Cemeteries" option is checked instead of the Obituaries option.)

Jacob and Elizabeth were recorded on page 20 of the 1880 census at Hamburg, Vernon County, with nine children. The name appears to be written as "Mesna" on the census page (Ancestry.com mangled it as "Meonie" in their index).

The registration of Jacob's "final papers" for citizenship in 1872 recorded his last name as "Mazna" which I think is a Germanized spelling of the name.

That is the spelling of his last name in the record for his marriage to Elizabeth:

Mazna, Jakob (farm laborer of Luznice) and Nekola, Marie of Spoli #24, married 15 Feb 1859 in Trebon parish. Jacob's parents are named in the marriage record as "Jana Mazny" (nominative case would be: Jan Mazna) and "Marie Spevak". http://digi.ceskearchivy.cz/en/8049/281

The 1831 baptism record at Luznice in Trebon parish for "Jacobus Mazna" (born 23 Nov 1831, baptized the next day) son of "Johann Mazna" (Jan Mlsna) and "Maria Spiwak" (Marie Spevak) is at
http://digi.ceskearchivy.cz/en/8032/236

Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic