Search for content in message boards

"BLACK DUTCH" MAYO HERITAGE

"BLACK DUTCH" MAYO HERITAGE

Nancy E. Mayo (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2002 8:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mayo
Hello,

Does any other Mayo family have a rumor of “black dutch” in their family? My Mayo family is from East Tennessee via Saltville, Virginia area and via? Any help tracing this heritage would be appreciated. Also tracing Rheubin (sp?) Mayo's and Janet (Jane) McAllister's parents/siblings, etc.

TC,
Nancy E. Mayo

Re: "BLACK DUTCH" MAYO HERITAGE

Charlie Mayo (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2002 1:30PM GMT
Journals and Ledgers of John C C Mayo from 1909 to 1914.
John C C Mayo Cumberland Capitalist by Carolyn Clay Turner.
pg. 90, 130.

Calhoun Mayo donations......."Reuben Mayo Chapel - $500 (Reuben Mayo was the former slave of Lewis Mayo, Calhoun's great grandfather)"

Pg. 130 "Uncle" Reuben Mayo 90 years old at the funeral of Calhoun Mayo

This may or may not help,

Nancy E. Mayo (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2002 2:58PM GMT
Surnames: Mayo
Charlie,

Thanks so much for your attempt to help me find Rheubin (sp?) Mayo, however, the one you posted about was born or alive much later than my Rheubin (born abt 1770). Additionally, my “black dutch" Mayo family looks do not appear to be African but more like Mediterranean.

Nancy E. Mayo

P.S. Remember, Charlie, the term “black dutch” does not necessarily mean of African heritage. The more you study these peoples the more you will learn.

Charlie Mayo (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2002 10:35PM GMT
I don't know what he looked like. the name is so unusua that I thought it may be him. lf he were born 1770, he could not be out of James of 1711 as all of his children are listed; I think.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic