Search for content in message boards

Littlewood in Australia

Littlewood in Australia

Posted: 3 Dec 2002 1:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jul 2003 10:55PM GMT
Surnames: LITTLEWOOD, BRADBURY
My grandmother was Annie Eveline Littlewood b 1904 (Rand NSW I think)d 1978. Her father was Charles Littlewood b 1872 Waltora Swamp, Meningie, SA. d 1945 Rand NSW. Charles was m to Edith Ann Bradbury (b 1875 in Caltowie SA,) in 1901. I would be interested to know if Charles had siblings and who his parents were. Are there any connections to Charles out there?

Re: Littlewood in Australia

Rex Anthony Littlewood (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2003 9:59AM GMT
Surnames: Annie
Hello Beth, Annie eveiline Littlewood, I suspect there may be a connection to this line of Littlewoods. My grandfather James Littlewood was born as below; Dear Rex, I have come across your note on the Genealogy web and am sending you my emeail address along with a photo of the benevolent Asylum where Pop was born in 1876. It is directly below the tower of Central station and was demolished to make way for it.His Mother Sarah Ann was born 31.1.1858 so she was 18 when she had him.She had 5 surviving siblings: John II 1862-1944, Isabella b 1864, Julia II b 1867, Albert Reginald b. 1871. Siblings that died as children were John i 1856-7, Blanche 1859-65, Julia 1860-64, Mary 1865-7 and Alfred Ernest 1869-75.A 50/50 survival rate was normal. Her family was not well off. He was a fruito and general carter.They were Catholic and eventually moved into town from near Cobbitty/ Camden where there are other branches from her uncles and aunts. I am trying to find out what happened to Sarah. In the Sands directories for 1880-90 there is a Sarah Littlewood running a grocery on my corner- what a co incidence if it's her but Sydney was a small place then. Sarah's parents were John Littlewood 1835- 1890? and Johanna 1837-?(sometimes written as Anna) McElligott (hence the Catholic change).Norfolk on his birth certificate might mean Norfolk Island.He would not have been transported, as it was virtually over by 1848. This leads me to suspect that he is one of the sons of William Littlewood 1803-? who was pardoned in 1835. William's wife was Bridget Kelly 1810-? who was pardoned in 1837. There are other branches around Camden and another one settled the Bathurst/ Orange area.Or there is another John Littlewood also pardoned in the 1830's who could have been his father-the children of convicts normally accompanied them. And no, none of them travelled in chains and certainly not on arrival- they were too weak. Hope this is useful. Are we the only family history buffs in the clan,
Your cousin
Frank

Posted: 6 Feb 2003 5:51PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2003 10:55PM GMT
Surnames: LITTLEWOOD, BRADBURY, DART, DUNGEY
Hi Rex,
Thanks for your response. It seems there were probably 2 different lots of Littlewoods who arrived in Australia from what I've seen now. I have heard from a wonderfully generous researcher who had a huge amount of info on my line of Littlewoods (including me under my maiden name) and most of this has been confirmed now by my Aunt who has it all in handwritten notes. My line as succinctly as possible is:
William LITTLEWOOD (b c 1810 in England d 1877 in Moama). He reputedly ran away to sea as a boy, jumped ship in South Australia and had no further contact with his family in England. He married (Sarah) Elizabeth DUNGEY(b 1825 in Cornwall d 1902 Moama) in 1843 in Adelaide. They had 14/15 children. (I have all their names and some details about their lines)
One of their sons was also a William (b 1847in Adelaide d 1911 in Toowoomba Qld). He married Sarah DART (b 1848 d 1936 in Barham) in 1868. They had 11 children. (Again I have their names and some details for all of their lines)
Their son Charles (b 1872 in Meningie SA d 1945 Rand NSW) who married Edith Ann BRADBURY (b 1875 d 1950) in 1901, is the father of Annie Eveline (b 1904 Moama d 1978 Piangil Vic) who was my grandmother, mentioned in my previous post.

I have looked for the names you mention, but none seem to fit with your details. I wonder if there might be a connection further back in England? Time will tell.

Cheers,

Beth

Posted: 20 Sep 2009 4:05AM GMT
Hello Rex,Thank You for providing the above information and shedding some light into my own initial search. I believe I am the Grandson of John II 1862-1944 who is brother to your Great Grandmother Sarah Ann. John II was quite mature when he married and fathered my dad Alfred at the ripe old age of 58 which would help explain the lengthy generation gap (precisely 100 years between him and I).I would love to be provided with any new information and would welcome any contact with you or any of my new found family.
yours,
Dave

Posted: 9 Oct 2009 10:51AM GMT
Hello YoungBeth,
Am interested in what you have re descendants of William Littlewood married Elizabeth Dungey in South Australia.
I am chasing up their son Peter Pamera Littlewood [from S.A. Index] but correct name Peter Pomeroy Littlewood who was born South Australia, married Moama NSW and died in Queensland
Could you please contact me.
Regards
Jan
jananderic@aanet.com.au

Posted: 24 Oct 2009 5:16AM GMT
Surnames: Littlewood
Dave, i noticed your September message to Rex. You might like to contact me as well for more information about the family.Are Alf and Doreen still alive? i visited them a few years ago at Auburn when i was contacting all of my many cousins for the family tree and have not heard from them for a long time.
Yours sincerely,
Frank Littlewood 02 9332 1408

Posted: 17 Jul 2010 6:38AM GMT
I am a descendent of William Littlewood & Elizabeth Dungey

My mother was Mavis Irene Littlewood.
Her father was John Albert Littlewood, whose parents were Francis Dungey Littlewood & Dora Austin.
Her mother was Mary Ann Wooldridge, whose parents were John Wooldridge & Mary Ann Littlewood.
Both Francis Dungey Littlewood & Mary Ann Littlewood are children of William Littlewood & Elizabeth Dungey

If you need or have any information I would be pleased to let you know.

Peter Crouch

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 4:37AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Littlewood cameron
Trying to trace family William John Littlewood born 17 june 1892 prahran vic. Father Edward Littlewood married Catherine Jessie Cameron.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions