Search for content in message boards

James Henry Williams

James Henry Williams

Posted: 27 Oct 2009 1:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Williams
Looking for Information on a James Henry Williams born in Claiborne Parish in 1851. Family stories relate that him and his sister were raised by a maternal aunt and uncle after their parents died. Can't find who they lived with or any information on the parents.

Re: James Henry Williams

Posted: 27 Oct 2009 1:51AM GMT
dl,
It would be good if you could provide additional information on James Henry William

Posted: 27 Oct 2009 1:56AM GMT
dl, I am having a hard time with my internet tonight so forgive the duplicate posts if you received them.

It would be good if you could provide additional information on James Henry Williams such as his death date and place, where he lived in 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, etc (if known) The 1880 census should give his parents place of birth if he knew that information.

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 12:22AM GMT
Surnames: Williams
James Henry Williams was born in Claiborne Parish on December 20, 1851 and died on April 23, 1920 in Dewey County Oklahoma. He married Clarinda Slawson on December 30, 1877 in Farmerville La. We believe had a sister named Mary K. Williams no DOB of DOD available. She married Williams I. Evans don't know when or where.

James and Clarinda's children are, James Steve, Johnny Franklin, Jessie Robert, Beulah E., Elma lou, Myrtle, Joe, Willie Mae, and Jeff. All were born in Texas.

James Steve Williams is my grandfather. He was born in Palo Patilo Texas on February 3, 1879 I know James Henry Williams was in Texas at least until 1897 then moved to Oklahoma, Dewey County outside Leedey. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 2:45AM GMT
This won't be of much help to you, except it is Palo Pinto Co., not Palo Patilo:

1880 Palo Pinto Co., TX census:
James H. Williams, age 29, b. LA, farmer, parents b. LA
Clarinda, age 21, b. LA, parents b. LA
James S., age 1, b. TX, parents b. LA

I looked at the 1860 census for Claiborne Parish, LA, but couldn't find any Williams who had a son named James Henry, age 9. Perhaps they had already moved by then.

Sandra

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 3:38PM GMT
The first things I would do, if you haven't done these already, is to :

1. Get a copy of JH's marriage record. Some old records list the parents of both the groom and bride.
1. Get a copy of his death certificate to see if his parents were listed there.
3. Search the Clerk of Court's office for both Claiborne AND Union Parishes for any guardianship, tutorship, probate, and land records for James. I have found the guardianship records in Claiborne Parish are a goldmine of information when a parent dies and leaves minor children.

I would look closely at the J. L. Williams family in Claiborne , 1870, even though the age is off a bit. There are two 18 yr olds and two 16 yr olds but not listed together like twins would be. James is one of the 16 yr olds. I think this is an indication that some of these children are not theirs. Problem is that there's no sister that matches your information. Maybe she was older and already married.

Good Luck in your research.

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 8:04AM GMT
Hi I'm also searching for info on my 2nd great grandfather James Henry Williams. Have you discovered any info in his parents or siblings?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic