Search for content in message boards

Putting together a Family History book

Putting together a Family History book

Posted: 7 Jan 2009 12:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Has the newer versions of FTM done away with the capability of putting out a Book. FTM always had a "Book" link in its tool bar. Does the new version still have it and does it work in the same manner as it did in versin 2005?

Re: Putting together a Family History book

Posted: 18 Dec 2009 9:59PM GMT
Version 2009 is a disaster about the book! I have worked with support (about 4 months, 5 hours on phone and over 100 pages of Emails and I still am unable to insert images (picture,maps, charts, copies of letter, deeds, etc). At time in working in the book the entire program disappears and has to be restarted. So I am back to version 2006-16. I offered to try v 2010 but they wanted me to buy it. I think they owe me money or at least refund the cost of v. 2009

Posted: 19 Dec 2009 12:16AM GMT
Thanks for the information
I think you have a good reason to get 2010 version free with all the trouble you have had with 2009.
Do you know if version 2010 has corrected the problem?

Posted: 19 Dec 2009 12:29AM GMT
They took it out beginning with the 2008 version. Never really said why, but one can imagine that they thought it competed with the book-publishing feature sold on the Ancestry.com site.

Posted: 19 Dec 2009 12:49AM GMT
Have any of you considered changing to another software?

Posted: 19 Dec 2009 1:15AM GMT
I offered to try it but they said they would let me have at a discount. From what I learned in talking to support, they were not sure it would be any better. So I am using v.16 for my next book. It will be 450 pages and include a lot of scottish history.

Posted: 19 Dec 2009 1:25AM GMT
Yes, I did consider using Legacy 7 but it would almost mean starting from scrath. My book is 450 pages with 4500 descendants of the original ancestor and I did not feel up to it since I have a heart condition and I am 88 years old. I wasted 4 months. I had expected to submit to a publisher on November 1 but now it looks like May 1.
Lecacy 7 has a good deal more features than FTM. One is you can find females by their married name. My next book will be on Legacy 7. There were problems in transferring data and images to Legacy 7 so starting from scartch on the next book will not have the same problems.

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 7:39AM GMT
Is it still possible to get the older versions of FTM? I've only been doing this for 6 months, using FTM 2009, but I have to say I'm less than totally impressed with the feature set.

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 1:39PM GMT
I do not know if you can find an older version or not. Suggest you check with Staples and others like it. I did not find any major problems with the tree portion of version 2009. My problem was with the book portion of 2009. If you are going to publish a book stay away from version 2009. I had to go back to version 16 to complete my book. My new books will be on Legacy version 7 or higher. Incidently, ancestry.com is planning on refunding my money on version 2009.

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 2:09PM GMT
I would like a stripped down version of the newer software with a good book building feature. I would never, never pay Ancestry to print my books. Mine sometimes runs to 600/700 pages and Ancestry does not even support that. FTM version 2010 is a bit better than 2008/2009 but still not good for creating a book. I have the 2010 version and the 2009 version but will keep my FTM version 16 and add data to it. The newer versions are just so full of "bling" and clutter. Even incorporating my Version 16 to the newer ones offer many headaches. I could not get one of mine to ever upload to FTM 2009/2010 by myself. I burned the file to a disc and mailed it to a person from Ancestry who formatted it to the 2010 version but in my opinion this should not be necessary. Even the FTM 2009 has to be uploaded to FTM 2010. In the past, prior versions of FTM would just open in the newer versions. What FTM and/or Ancestry has done is to create completely new versions every year. Not a good thing in my opinion.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions