Search for content in message boards

John Holland of DeKalb AL

John Holland of DeKalb AL

Posted: 1 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Will
Edited: 11 Sep 2001 9:11PM GMT
Surnames: HOLLAND, CROW, ESTES
IN THE ESTATE OF JOHN HOLLAND--

An ADMINISTRATORS BOND was filed by William F. Holland, Isaac Crow, and John Crow...they "were held....bond...at $550.00...dated 18 Dec 1852

William F. Holland was appointed administrator of JOHN HOLLAND late of said county de'd....signed by William F. Holland, Isaac Crow, and John Crow, R. Estes-Judge of Probate.

A GUARDIAN BOND was posted by Isaac Crow for "faure" (4) hundred dollars on 18 Dec 1852. Isaac Crow was appointed guardian of minor heirs of John Holland late of said county deceased...signed by Isaac Crow, William F. Holland, and John (x-his mark)Crow, R. Estes-Judge of Probate
*Sorry, no names of minor heirs were given*

An inventory of the estate was done 28 Mar 1853 (I did not get a list)

A bill of sale is dated 7 May 1853 (did not get a list).

2 Mar 1854--took out letters of administration.

4 Apr 1854--Administrator's report filed.

one of the many receipts with the report--...for materials and building of a coffin $5.00 against the estate--bill was dated 10 May 1854, filed 27 July 1855 by Isaac G. West.

*This is a partial listing from John Holland's estate file.*

Re: John Holland of DeKalb AL

Posted: 9 Jul 2002 5:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Aug 2002 12:13AM GMT
Is there any more information about John Holland? He is my 4th Great Grandfather and I would greatly appreciate any information about him or his family! Thank you SO MUCH!

Posted: 9 Jul 2002 12:41PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2003 6:12AM GMT
Surnames: HOLLAND, ALLISON, CROW
I don't have any more on John; there are many papers in his estate file...mostly receipts and bills, settlement of his debts, and so on. He died in 1852 or was it '54. He and Hugh Holland d. about the same time. Unless both are buried in Dade Co., GA, I think they must be buried in unmarked graves likely somewhere on the homestead as I have been unable to find them in cemetery listings for DeKalb and death records, newspapers don't go back that far.

I believe John to be a brother to my Hugh Holland as he named his youngest son, Hugh Allison Holland. Allison was his wife's maiden name; they came to DeKalb, AL from Dade County, GA where they may have married. As I recall, John's widow Mary Holland md a Crow. It should be in my gedcom.

Both he and Hugh received adjoining land grants in DeKalb (in 1839, as I recall)...found info on a land website. Also, a William got a grant but don't think he ever moved to DeKalb; possibly, he was the father (or another relative) and might have died before he could claim it...speculation, not yet proved. John did name his first son, William F. I think they may have come from TN into GA, then AL.

Some of John's children--specifically William F. Holland-- moved to Indiana. Somewhere online, I found a very thorough website on William F.'s descendancy (up to 32 generations on at least one line). You might try a www search on William F. Holland.

My gedcom can be downloaded from this site if you so choose.

Posted: 9 Jul 2002 10:19PM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2002 12:13AM GMT
Surnames: Holland, Pulliam, Crow, Pilenton, Allison, Harp
Thank you so much, Lana. I am a decendant from John Holland, his son William Franklin Holland, who fathered George B Holland, who fathered Radford Earl Holland, who fathered Cecil Charles Holland, who fathered my mother Elizabeth Anne Holland. It is very exciting to research the history of my ancestors and to collaborate with long lost relatives, such as yourself. If you do find any other information please let me know, as my mother and her siblings are eager for any information available. Thank you.

P.S. I would surely like to see your Gedcom and any Websites that you might be able to provide me with to view any little tidbit that I can about my ancestors, including the land, probates, and wills links. Thank you again, Lana. I look forward to hearing from you.

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 11:47PM GMT
Edited: 7 Feb 2013 11:48PM GMT
Surnames: HOLLAND, STEPHENS
To anyone working on the Holland lines, my information is posted on rootsweb.com, ancestry.com, and familysearch.org. Since gencircles merged with Fold3, the gedom might also be on that site. My ancestor is Sarah Jane ("Janie") Holland who md John Doc/Dr. Stephens of TN. She is the daughter of Hugh/Hughey Holland
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions