Search for content in message boards

where did all of us borges' come from?

where did all of us borges' come from?

Posted: 16 Jul 2003 3:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Jul 2003 3:38PM GMT
If anyone could tell me where the Borges' orginated from and how they ended up separated. Some in Ohio and some in California. Did the Borges name start in Germany or somewhere else? I myself am a Borges and I live in Michigan. It's very hard to find out information on the name of Borges.
thanks
Eric Borges

Re: where did all of us borges' come from?

Posted: 24 Nov 2003 4:33AM GMT
Borges name comes in many different forms. Sometimes it is Borjes, Burgis, Burgess, Burges. It is a Germanic name mainly from Germany. There are some of that family from the state of Hesse in the 1700 and 1800's. In German there would be two dots over the "o". The pronounciation of Borges into English would be Burgess or Burges. The letter "g" is a hard sound like ga not a soft sound like gee. There were also some of that name that migrated into Pennsylvania, Virginia, and South Carolina.

Eric Borges (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2003 2:19AM GMT
But how does that explain the split of the borges' . What I mean is how did some end up in South America?

Posted: 1 Jan 2004 1:49PM GMT
Surnames: Borges Martin Estevez Fernandez
Our Borges family came from Portugal in the 1500's. At that time the Spanish Inquisition was going on in which the Jewish people were being outsted from their homes. Our family immigrated to Canary Islands (Tenerife) then went to Cuba who then in 1960's came to the USA.

Clark Cox (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2004 3:45PM GMT
There were a lot of German people who migrated to South America in the 1800 and 1900's. One will find a lot of Germans, Swiss, and Austrians in Brazil, Uraguay, and Argentina. In fact, in those countries, there are whole colonies that still speak German. Good luck. Try www.familysearch.org and see if you can find anything.

Posted: 2 Apr 2004 10:02AM GMT
Surnames: Borges
hi my name is tracey williams and i came across this website while looking for my dad( who i still havent found) and iam replying to you because you are telling me that borges is german? my dad is portuguese and as far as iam aware he has no german relation what so ever .His full name is lougie/also known as louis micheal franceis silver borges so if you have any info about him or if you can tell me where you found out that borges is of german origin can you let me know via email, my email address is titch2850@hotmail.com.

ps never have i heard that borges is german so iam a little confused please help if you can . and iam not being nasty iam not saying that what you said is wrong its just that i have never heard of borges being german

Thanx luv Tracey

eric borges (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2004 12:32AM GMT
i don't know, i have never been able to find any information on where the borges' started from. But most of my families ancestors have german names and they were borges. But other than that i don't have anythign really usefull to tell you sorry

Posted: 23 May 2005 10:13PM GMT
There are many origins to any particular last name. The first thing one must remember is that once a name arrives at a new location, more often than not the name becomes vulnerable to change due to many factors. Many Europeans who emigrated to the US could not read or write English (let alone their own language). So, officials of the day, including census takers, resorted to phonetic spellings; hence BORGES to BURGESS or vice versa. I too have never heard of the German Borges link, however, it would not surprise me in the least. It has been my finding that the most common descension of the BORGES surname is from France; the second being from the Nethelands. Regardless Eric...I wish you luck in your ancestral search!

Eric Borges (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2005 1:12AM GMT
France? Wow thats pretty cool, but where did you find that information? Wha I'm trying to do is find more information on when the first of the borges' arrived in America, where they were from originally, that sort of stuff. Oh I almost forgot is your last name also Borges or Borge?????

Posted: 24 May 2005 1:50AM GMT
Surnames: Borges
Here's a link to some very interesting information:

http://www.ptreyeslight.com/azores1/namesazore.html

It explains the french connection. :-)

My last name is Borge but I'm sure it was Borges back in Sao Jorge.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions