Search for content in message boards

Poolers of Castleton and Bury Lancs

Poolers of Castleton and Bury Lancs

Kevin Murphy (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2002 5:21PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Pooler
The Poolers from Northern Ireland came to Castleton in Lancs, 1880s - James, Thomas and Mary. James m. Groarch, Tom m. Cass and Mary m. Donoghue. Lots of descendants in the area and spread afield too.

Re: Poolers of Castleton and Bury Lancs

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 2:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: pooler; leahy; o'brien
Per our family records of the Castleton Poolers, James in fact married Mary Elizabeth O'Brien (known as Cissie, my great grandmother); (his son James was married to someone whose name in some family accounts is Amelia Grouk, and Jacques in others - known as Millie); Mary, James snr's sister married Thomas Donaghue, one daughter Rose, and Thomas, their brother married Mary Agnes Hagen and had one son Felix.

Birth certificate indicates James snr was born in Bolton in 1871, so possibly John came to Lancashire in the 1860s and they certainly were in a localized area round Castleton and Heywood in the 1880s/1890s.

Sounds like there's an overlap; please email me on sandy.leahy@hotmail.co.uk if you've got any more information as I'm trying to fill in considerable gaps on the family tree so all contributions gratefully received and I'm happy to email what I've got.

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 4:52PM GMT
Surnames: Pooler, O'Brien, O'Donohue, Hagen
Thomas and Mary Agnes were my great Grandparents - They had a Daughter Rose and 5 sons! One was my Grandad James.

I have been in communucation with someone adopted by Poolers and he couldn't work out the Donohue relationship - well done there.

It fascinates me on another plane, because My dad Patrick Murphy was from O'Briens and Donohues, too!

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 5:12PM GMT
Just noticed mistake - James Pooler did indeed Mary Mary Agnes Hagen and they had 5 sons and a Daughter - All five sons produced family - now a veritable tribe spread across UK - not sure if not the world by now?

Posted: 30 Jun 2010 11:03PM GMT
Surnames: POOLER
Hi, I'm a Castleton Pooler born in 1956. My father was Denis (John Denis) born 1914 (died Jan 1962). I understand that his father was James, married to Elizabeth O'Brien. Denis's siblings included my uncle Jim (born 1900 died 1975) who was married to aunt Millie (Amelia I guess) who died 1982/1983. I'm fascinated by the Northern Ireland connection as my wife is a Cassidy from Lurgan, Co. Armagh. I remember my mother discussing some of the other surnames mentioned in the thread (Donoghue and Hagen), but I can't recall ever meeting any of these relations.

Posted: 1 Jul 2010 6:24PM GMT
Yes indeed - you are one of us!
I have our tree going a good way back now.
Our mutual ancester John Pooler married Rose Anne McCaffery on Christmas day 1866 at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Peter's_Cathedral,_Belfa...
within weeks of it opening.
The fascinating bit we can't get to the bottom of is John Father: He is the legendary (in our family) Captain Thomas Pooler who is is thought to have drowned scuttling his ship for the insurance - or hung for trying to!
His wife was pregnant with John at the time - this could of course be an illegitimacy story, except that John's best man was William Pooler - got to be his brother!
We can't track Thomas or William.
Email me on kpm2@bigfoot.com and I'll give you all the goss - and some great pics!
You must be Jim Pooler too - did I not phone you about 15 years ago?
Kevin
per page

Find a board about a specific topic