Search for content in message boards

Police Personnel Records

Police Personnel Records

Charles W. Frank (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2006 2:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Police
My grandfather was a Patrolman in Jersey City, NJ from the late 20's til early 1950. I have written to the Dept. in J.C. twice in 4 years. No answer in regard to obtaining copies of his records. I wrote to the P.B.A. in J.C.. No answer. I wrote to the Mayors office twice in 4 years. No answer. The N.J. State P.B.A. is the only one that did respond; they don't keep records. Does anyone know the right place/person to request Police Personnel Records from?

Re: Police Personnel Records

Posted: 9 Feb 2006 3:33PM GMT
Edited: 4 Dec 2006 12:09PM GMT
I cannot imagine any police department releasing personnel records to anyone. There is too much danger of a prisoner or their children trying to find the officer or family members to enact revenge.

Regards,
Sharyn

Patric Gault (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2006 10:00PM GMT
Try to see if there is a police museum in the city or town you are researching. We have one in Phoenix and they keep rosters of officers who at one time served. They are a great source of information. Also if there is a Fraternal Order of Police or some other organization that officers in that area have traditionally belonged to, they may be able to help also. Good luck.

Charles W. Frank (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2006 2:43PM GMT
Surnames: Frank/Police
Thanx Pat,
I've written to the Records Dept for Jersey City; Hudson County; the Mayors Office; the Police HQ; the PBA, and have received answers from none. The State PBA responded and have no record. According to his obit, he was quite active in the local PBA. The County Exec responded and suggested I write to another records holding place. Again; no answer. I'll look for a museum. There may be something.

Posted: 8 Jun 2012 7:57AM GMT
another option is the local historical society and local genealogical society. If nothing, try the state historical soc. HSs have an abundance of records for the genealogist.

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 3:31AM GMT
I have just added several lawmen, prison guard, police officer etc type files in my database. Feel free to post or e-mail me a name to look up.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions