Search for content in message boards

Utica, NY-St John's Orphan Asylum

Utica, NY-St John's Orphan Asylum

Posted: 17 Feb 2002 11:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Feb 2002 9:09PM GMT
I am looking for information on the St John's Orphan Asylum that was located in Utica, NY. It was founded in 1834. A new building to house the orphans was built in 1912. In 1961 it became Utica Catholic Academy, a girl's school.
I am looking for physical information on the building and also information from residents who lived there.
Thanks for reading this thread.

Re: Utica, NY-St John's Orphan Asylum

Posted: 20 Feb 2002 7:36PM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2002 9:09PM GMT
I've gotten additional information about the St. John's Orphan Asylum aka, St. John's School and Asylum in Utica, NY.
I have found the St. John's Orphan Asylum records at this website http://www.loc.gov.coll/nucmc

Included in these records are Minutes of the Board of Directors, 1849-1951; minutes of St. John's Orphan Asylum Corporation, 1942-46; minutes of the Advisory board, 1947-56; resolutions, bylaws and administrative reports, 1834-1951; correspondence, 1884-1979; annual reports, 1880-1967; financial and legal documents, including deeds, 1831-1968; clippings, 1858-1979; photographs, c.1890-1969; and school yearbooks, student and faculty handbooks, programs, articles and brochures.
The location of these records is:
Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul
Northeast Province Archives
96 Menands Road
Albany, NY 12204
If anyone who lives in the area can access these records I would appreciate them contacting me at linen53@yahoo.com as I am very interested in obtaining copies of some of the earlier documents (I live in Colorado). I'm willing to pay for what I get.
Thanks

Posted: 16 Mar 2002 10:11PM GMT
Here's the basic history of the orphanage:

It was started by John and Nicholas Devereaux (brothers). They appealed to the newly established Community in St Joseph's Valley, Emmitsburg, Md and the request was granted. After a journey by stage and canal boat, Sisters Etienne Hall, Lucina Simms and Theophilia Williams arrived in Utica and opened the ninth establishment of the Sisters of Charity in the U.S. in a small house on St. John's Street.

The Devereaux family continued its charity and it was their desire that the institution be entirely supported at their expense, but the sisters also set up fundraisers for support. Then in 1849 an order was received to releave the Devereaus family of the charge and the institution became an incorporated body. The Asylum was incorporated in March 28, 1849. The Rev Joseph Stokes and Francis Kernan served as president from 1849-1863. Since then the institution has been under a board of directors and a superior has served as president.

In 1853 Michael McQuade and his wife, Johanna gave a gift of land. In 1872 the institution received a part of the county tax for charitable instituions. By 1897 the grounds belonging to the institution covered an area of about 32,000 sq. feet.

In 1907 the Sisters were offered a 2-story frame building near the outskirts of Utica. It was located on top of a steep hill. About this time Mathew A Carton purchased the land and deeded it to the Sisters of Charity for the purpose of errecting a modern, well equipped building. The building was occupied in 1912. The site comprised 22 acres. The initial cost of the building was more than $150,000 and it had accomodations for more than 300 children.

The new building (the address was now 2527 Genesee St.) was 3 1/2 stories high and in 1942 the name was changed to St. John's Home and School. Formerly the school was strickly a girl's school, but in 1925 St. John's took in boys between the ages of 6 and 10 after a fire destroyed another Utica orphanage known as St. Vincent's Protectorate.

A further merger came in 1955 when St. John's took in infants that previously had been cared for at St. Joseph's Infants Home, founded in the 1890s and located on Green St in West Utica. It remained as St. John's and St. Joseph's Infants Home until 1961 when it became Utica Catholic Academy. As of 1-8-95 (the date of one of the articles I am quoting this from) it it now known as the Academy at Southgate condominiums.

I hope this helps some people.

Posted: 30 May 2002 2:06AM GMT
Edited: 30 Aug 2002 11:57PM GMT
Debra,
My mother was raised in the St. John's Orphanage in Utica, NY.
I did receive info from Catholic Charities in Utica, NY and I was also very lucky to meet a woman who was in the orphanage with my mother.
I can get to the site you mentioned, but where do I look for the information on the orphanage?

Re: Utica, NY-St John's Orphan Asylum- St Vincent

Posted: 18 Jan 2008 5:54PM GMT
Do you know more about St. Vincent's Protectorate- the Utica orphanage that burned around 1925? I believe my ggrandfather stayed there for a few years around 1880 and I'm looking for any information. I hear the fire burned a lot of records but I'm hoping some there may be some other records around, maybe confirmations or something.

Please email me at kneecie7@yahoo.com if you know where I could learn more.

Thanks!!
Angela

Posted: 4 Feb 2011 2:46AM GMT
Hi, My mother was there from 1943 -1949

Posted: 21 Apr 2011 6:01PM GMT

JUST FOUND YOUR QUESTION DID YOU FIND YOUR ANSWER. IT IS NOW A CONDO COMPLEX

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 7:17AM GMT
Surnames: kluska, patterson
My grandmother Cecelia kluska and her sister Mary kluska stayed at St. John's orphanage from the early 1920's until 1937. My aunt Mary stayed on and worked there until the early 1940's.I do not have any photos or information on my ggrandparents or my grandma. God I so despertly would love to have a photo of my grandma as a young girl or anyone in my family. They had annuals and if someone could have photos of the childern during my grandmothers time I would be so greatful. I also read they kept medical and other records on the children that would be of great interst as well. My mother Mary Patterson was also placed there for close to a year in 1943-44

Posted: 28 Dec 2011 11:40PM GMT
Hello. My Mom(Santina Zangrone) and her sister(Mary Zangrone) went into the orphanage around 1938 when their mother died .I think they stayed there until around 1945. My mom and her sister are still alive and live in Utica. My mom recentally got her medical records but no pictures. The nun's there were BRUTAL on the children! Many sad stories.

Posted: 28 Dec 2011 11:41PM GMT
Hello. My Mom(Santina Zangrone) and her sister(Mary Zangrone) went into the orphanage around 1938 when their mother died .I think they stayed there until around 1945. My mom and her sister are still alive and live in Utica. My mom recentally got her medical records but no pictures. The nun's there were BRUTAL on the children! Many sad stories.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic