Search for content in message boards

ELIAS (Nicholas and Balthasar), also Von Elias

ELIAS (Nicholas and Balthasar), also Von Elias

Posted: 5 Dec 2005 7:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Elias
Looking for the burial place of Balthasar and Mary Kremer Elias. Lived in Eaton Township as of 1870 census and Balthasar died c. 1878 as I found Mary and the children in Charlestown, Calumet County in the 1880 census. What information I have found online has stated that both Balthasar and Mary were buried in a cemetery in Schleswig. I have checked Manitowoc County's online site and have had no luck. I am thinking that Balthasar is somehow related to Nicholas Elias, who is enumerated in Liberty Township in the 1870 census, along with his wife Elizabeth (Bertha) Schnettler Elias and their children. The names for the children in both families do have similarities and I am not getting any responses back from anyone with GEDCOMs online for these people (Balthasar and Mary). My brick wall is in this county for these people; I cannot find either Balthasar or Nicholas in any databases previous to 1870 (free ones) and my information is that Nicholas was from Prussia. Information online shows that Balthasar and Mary were buried in Steinthal, Schleswig Township and that Balthasar died c. 1878 and Mary died in 1905. Any help is appreciated.

Re: ELIAS (Nicholas and Balthasar), also Von Elias

Posted: 11 Oct 2009 1:13AM GMT
Hi Vanessa, We are at it again. I'm thinking I need to make a trip to St. Gregory's Catholic Church in St. Naziancz. Nicholas, John, and George have records there. My sister has called St. Gregory's about their records. They say Stindal is an interection and there is a small burial plot there. They may have Balthasar's death record too.

Posted: 12 Oct 2009 4:04PM GMT
Surnames: ELIAS
You may be interested to know that Hubert's death record is on the Seeking Michigan site. I also saw a picture on Find-A-Grave of his stone. George listed Hubert as his father on his wedding certificate, but considering how far apart in age maybe it was more a matter of the relationship they had vs. listing Balthasar as his father. As far as their mother, Mary Kremer, is concerned, it looks like she may have died in 1905 in Portage Co. but I have no idea about her burial. Thanks for writing.

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 4:22AM GMT
Nicholas and Balty are brothers. Balthazar is my GGgrandfather. He is buried, supposedly, in Eaton Cemetery in Steinthal, Wisconsin, but we haven't found the grave yet. Balty had numerous children, the two youngest of whom were John and George I. George moved to Michigan where he married and had George II. George II settled in Rosebush, MI, and he and his wife, Marguerite had two sons: George III, and Geoffrey. The boys were 19 years apart. GeorgeIII is my father.

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 4:22AM GMT
Nicholas and Balty are brothers. Balthazar is my GGgrandfather. He is buried, supposedly, in Eaton Cemetery in Steinthal, Wisconsin, but we haven't found the grave yet. Balty had numerous children, the two youngest of whom were John and George I. George moved to Michigan where he married and had George II. George II settled in Rosebush, MI, and he and his wife, Marguerite had two sons: George III, and Geoffrey. The boys were 19 years apart. GeorgeIII is my father.

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 3:00PM GMT
You have proof they are brothers?! That has been strictly conjecture on my part due to when they came over to the US (together, w/Mary), lived near each other for a time, and that there are some duplicate names in the families. I saw a picture online of George II and the facial bone structure and eyes looks very much like Nic's. Longshot here: you have any pictures of Nic and Balty, together OR separate? I have been researching Balthasar's line and figured out the migrations of most of the offspring. Linking the 2 families would be a HUGE validation in my research. I haven't determined where his grave is yet, either, nor have I found Mary Kremer Elias, although she might be in Portage Co. I don't have any information (unless my mother has from her mother) about Nic before he came to America and don't have an absolute date when they were married. Not sure where you are with your research, but Balty is on the 1860 census, but I cannot find Nic, either in Wisconsin or Michigan. Let me know if you are interested in Nic's line - I have been getting more and more in just the last couple of years.

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 4:44PM GMT
Just to update that Maria Elias is buried in Portage County, in St. Joseph's Cemetery in Stevens Point. I saw this on Find-A-Grave. This post is simply to let you know where Balty's wife is buried. Still haven't found his grave at this point, however. Season's Greetings to you, distant cousin.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions