Search for content in message boards

What years was SUNBURY known as SHAMOKIN ?

What years was SUNBURY known as SHAMOKIN ?

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 11:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
This post was deleted by the author on 8 Apr 2012 11:21PM GMT

Re: What years was SUNBURY known as SHAMOKIN ?

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 4:08PM GMT
Check out this history of Northumberland Co. from their website. Maybe it will help. http://www.northumberlandco.org/default.asp?iId=JKDHH

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 7:33PM GMT
Thanks for the reply, but that does not state when the city of Sunbury had originally been known as Shamokin.

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 8:27PM GMT
I believe the answer is NEVER.

These two towns exist today and are about 20 miles apart.

Shamokin DAM is near Sunbury

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 10:57PM GMT
No, I am certain that Sunbury was originally named Shamokin...I live here,...I must check out the sign in the city that tells the story. Thanks anyway.

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 11:15PM GMT
Shamokin was originally the name of an Indian village on or near the site of present day Sunbury.

Sunbury, the town (today, city), was laid out as Sunbury in 1772, and was never known as Shamokin.

You mention the census....the census was first taken in 1790, and by then Sunbury was already Sunbury, and would not have been referred to as Shamokin.

The current city of Shamokin was laid out in the 1830's, became a borough in 1864 and a city in 1950.

To add to the confusion, there is also a Shamokin Township in Northumberland County. Neither present day Shamokin nor Sunbury are within its borders today.

It might help if you provided more details about the family you are searching and the census years you are looking at.

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 11:41PM GMT
Thanks so much ! Yes, I know this is also a Shamokin Twp., as I lived there for 25 years ! Right smack between Sunbury & Shamokin. I believe my problem is that the city directories were for BOTH the cities of Sunbury & Shamokin, and so it lists people living in Shamokin, when they were living in the city of Sunbury. This I do know as FACT...they were my grandparents, ans they never lived in the city of Shamokin. But Boyds city directories have both cities listed and on Ancestry.com, it says Shamokin. It makes things very confusing ! Again, my thanks !

Posted: 8 Apr 2012 12:36PM GMT
Surnames: Lindermuth, Sears, Fisher, Geistwite, Becker, Kantner, Ream
Sunbury was never Shamokin. Shamokin WAS the name of the Indian village located at the site of the present community. The name was later used for the present coal region community, a township, and various other purposes.

Posted: 8 Apr 2012 12:37PM GMT
Surnames: Lindermuth, Sears, Fisher, Geistwite, Becker, Kantner, Ream
Sunbury was never Shamokin. Shamokin WAS the name of the Indian village located at the site of the present community. The name was later used for the present coal region community, a township, and various other purposes.

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 8:23PM GMT
Jack....I found the answer !! Look in the magazine "Inside Pennsylvania" Winter 2012 issue...article on Buffalo in PA....quotes Bucknell University Professor Katherine Faull , who has been translating the diaries of the moravian Missionairies of Chief Shikellamy's SHAMOKIN ...."The old Indian town of SHAMOKIN is now present-day SUNBURY, which in 1745 had more than 300 residents."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions