Search for content in message boards

Nathan D ALLEN Clifton Heights land Owner

Nathan D ALLEN Clifton Heights land Owner

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 6:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ALLEN,
Looking for any additional information on the family of Natha D ALLEN.
http://clifton-heights.com/forum/index.php/topic,905.0.html

Husband's Name Nathan Bangs Dodson ALLEN (AFN:1ZRR-39X)
Born: 15 May 1819
Place: Geneva, , Ny
Died: 9 May 1903
Place: Webster Groves, , Mo
Married: 28 Jun 1842
Place: St. Louis, , Mo
Father: Shadrach Ward ALLEN (AFN:1ZRR-32H) Family
Mother: Anna Dearborn HUNTOON (AFN:1ZRR-33P)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wife's Name Caroline ADAMS (AFN:1ZRR-5KX)
Born: 25 Oct 1819
Place: Frankford, , Pa
Died: 12 Dec 1903
Married: 28 Jun 1842
Father:
Mother:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Children

1. Sex Name F Julia Ann ALLEN (AFN:1ZRR-5MC)
Born: 4 Jan 1844

2. Sex Name M Charles ALLEN (AFN:1ZRR-5L5)
Born: 20 Feb 1843
Died: 28 Feb 1843

3. Sex Name F Sarah Emma ALLEN (AFN:1ZRR-5NK)
Born: 24 Feb 1847
Died: 22 Jan 1881

4. Sex Name F Mary Elizabeth ALLEN (AFN:1ZRR-5Q0)
Born: 28 Apr 1853
Place: St.louis, , Mo

5. Sex Name M Ernest ALLEN (AFN:1ZRR-5R6)
Born: 16 May 1856
Died: 14 Jan 1859

6. Sex Name M Roderick Adams ALLEN (AFN:1ZRR-5PR)
Born: 6 Nov 1850
Place: Sylvania, , Oh

7. Sex Name M Harry ALLEN (AFN:1ZRR-5SD)
Born: 15 Nov 1858

8. Sex Name F Caroline Adams ALLEN (AFN:1ZRR-5TL)
Born: 3 Dec 1861
Died: 21 Dec 1916

Re: Nathan D ALLEN Clifton Heights land Owner

Posted: 1 Dec 2008 10:38PM GMT
I'm not related to this family.

1900 -
Name: Nathan Allen
[Nathan F Allen]
Home in 1900: Central, St Louis, Missouri
Birth Date: May 1819
Birthplace: New York
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Father's Birthplace: Vermont
Mother's Birthplace: New Hampshire
Spouse's Name: Caroline
Marriage Year: 1842
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 58
Residence : Webster Grove City (Part), St. Louis, Missouri

Nathan Allen 81
Caroline Allen 76, 10/23 PA - married 58 yr, 8 children & 5 living
Mary E Allen 47, 4/53 Mo - dau., single
Carolyne A Allen 38, 12/61 MO - single, dau

Be "specific", what additional info are you seeking???

Posted: 6 Jan 2009 8:48PM GMT
Surnames: Allen

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 8:46PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jan 2013 9:45PM GMT
I am so glad I found this thread, I only hope that the person who started it is still interested! I'm currently researching this family because my husband and I reside in the home they built and lived in during their time in Kansas City, MO. I'm not yet sure how long they stayed here, but it was only for a handful of years.

I don't have any images of the home when it was new (construction began in 1885, completed in 1886), but I have one from 1940. It's in serious disrepair in this pic, but you can see easily see how lovely it once was.

I also found a Victorian chalk board- the small kind that young school children once used- buried under dust and debris in the attic. I'm not sure who it belonged to, but I like to think it was one of the Allen children.

I have a page on Ancestry.com for them, and I assume you might as well...? Please respond and we'll connect there.
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 1:04PM GMT
How are you, how was the tour?

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 7:22PM GMT
Hi again! The holiday homes tour went really well. After we invested so much work into getting ours ready for it, and then spending so much time taking the holiday decorations down afterwards, we decided it was too much work to do again. It's been a couple of years now, and the fine memories of it all have managed to eclipse the hard-work memories...so of course we've agreed to participate again in the future. :o)

But back to the thread topic- do you know of any photos on line of the Allen family's Clifton Heights home? I'd love to see it if one exists, so share the link if such a thing is out there!

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 3:13PM GMT
The Missouri History Museum Archives holds a diary of Nathan D. Allen. Here's a description of the diary from our Guide to the Archival Collections:

Allen, Nathan D. (1819-1903).
Diary, 1834-1888. 1 volume (100 pages)
Nathan D. Allen was born May 15, 1819, at Watkins Glen, New York, and came to St. Louis in 1837, eventually settling in Webster Groves, St. Louis County, Missouri, where he died May 9, 1903.
The diary of Nathan D. Allen contains material on life in Webster Groves, with accounts of the 1849 cholera epidemic and the Civil War in St. Louis, and mentions meeting Abraham
Lincoln and Henry Shaw. (Additional information on Allen family was added later by donor.)

Here's a description of the Civil War content in the diary from our Civil War manuscripts guide:

Allen, Nathan D. (1819-1903).
Diary, 1861-1865. 1 item (18 pages)
Nathan D. Allen was born May 15, 1819, at Watkins Glen, N.Y., and came to St. Louis in 1837, eventually settling in Webster Groves, where he died May 9, 1903.
Diary contains brief entries of general war news and affairs in St. Louis. Includes the following entries relating to the capture of Camp Jackson and related affairs in St. Louis in early May 1861: May 9, “600 guns 5 Cannon and ammunition from Baton Rouge La. arrive and taken to Camp Jackson (from U.S. Arsenal at Baton Rouge).” May 7-8, “4000 Home Guards marched to Arsenal armed and mustered into service.” May 10, “100 soldiers U.S. and the Home Guards under Capt Lyon surround Camp Jackson and take all prisoners, who are marched to the Arsenal and paroled. Mob secession fired at Union soldiers after surrender fire returned about 30 persons killed.” May 11, “10th Ward Home Guards fired on 2 killed corner 5th & Walnut. Jackson men burn bridges on P.R.R. [Pacific Railroad] and retreat west.” May 12, “Funeral of E. Wright killed at Camp Jackson Great Panic 1000ands of families fled from city on rumor that the Dutch were going to burn the City.” Diary also includes description of meeting Abraham Lincoln on a train in Illinois (entry dated February 1, 1861) and mention of seeing the actor and future assassin John Wilkes Booth at the theater (entry dated April 29, 1862).

Dennis Northcott
Associate Archivist, Missouri History Museum
dpn@mohistory.org

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 7:06PM GMT
Than you, I need to check on his St Louis address

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 2:55AM GMT
Thank you for sharing that information, Mr. Northcott- good stuff!

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 1:15PM GMT
Surnames: Allen
Map is taken from 1878 Pitzman map of St. Louis
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21668007@N02/9269568956/
Note N.D. Allen, landowner to the right of the W, next to Sulphur Spring Tract.

Can you send any house pictures you have to us @ history@cliftonheightsneighborhood.org
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions