Search for content in message boards

syncing question

syncing question

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 8:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Is there a way to set the sync to only put changes from FTM software to Ancestry but never bring the changes from Ancestry to FTM2014?

Re: syncing question

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 8:33PM GMT
The answer to your question is no, but, since you can control the tree on the Ancestry site, you just need NOT to make any changes yourself or NOT let anyone to make any. That way, there will only be the one way street for the changes.

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 8:45PM GMT
Yes you can. When you sync there is a dialog - I can't remember the exact details but I think there are two check boxes so you can select whether to copy stuff in both directions or only one. I have mine set to only copy up from the PC to Ancestry and not the other direction. I think it still checks for changes both ways but only copies one way.

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 10:18PM GMT
Unless there has been a change in 2014, it's all or nothing.

You can choose manual or automatic, but there is no option about one direction or both.

Posted: 10 Oct 2013 2:17PM GMT
Ok...thanks. I wanted to block changes coming from Ancestry when syncing because I have had numerous syncing problems and for some reason it has caused it to make multiple (duplicate) source citations. I have so many it would take way too much time to combine them all and fix it one at a time but I am slowly working on it. Maybe someday I will get them all merged but I don't want it to happen again.

Posted: 10 Oct 2013 3:35PM GMT
See attached for what is there when starting a new sync.
There is NO one way sync and no changes in this area from 2012-2014.
Attachments:

Posted: 10 Oct 2013 3:46PM GMT
Well, I saw that. I do have 2014. I have seen a dialog that gives me an option to choose which way data transfers when there is conflicting information. Thought maybe I was overlooking this option as a permanent solution. I never make changes on the Ancestry end yet I've had problems from there.

Posted: 10 Oct 2013 3:50PM GMT
It's important to make changes only from one side before a sync. That way there is no possibility that there will be a conflict to be resolved by the software.

Posted: 10 Oct 2013 9:02PM GMT
wunderlong88,
I have never seen and dialog that would give me that option.
And believe me IF I ever see such a dialog, I will post a screen shot of it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic