Search for content in message boards

Start over with FTM 2014

Start over with FTM 2014

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 9:07PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
If my Ancestry tree is up to date, is there any risk to uninstalling FTM 2012 and just starting with a clean slate with 2014 and syncing my tree(s) in 2014 from Ancestry?

Re: Start over with FTM 2014

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 1:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Without backup?????????????

You should never do anything major without at least one backup of your files to your hard drives. While the probability is low, there is always the possibility that something could happen at Ancestry and years of your work disappear into the bit world. (I have three hard drives and considering a fourth, that I synchronize the data so each has disk has the same data files.)

While the sync is improving with each version of FTM, I would never trust all my data to the ability to transmit it through the internet and download it error free to my computer.

Even with out major change, is it not worth the risk of having no back of your data that is not in your complete control.

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 1:29PM GMT
Edited: 11 Oct 2013 1:34PM GMT
There is no need to uninstall FTM2012, just unlink the FTM2012 file from your ancestry file. If you haven't already, put the text string "2012" somewhere in the name of the FTM2012 file and its associated Media folder, so that you will remember as time goes by that this was an FTM2012 file. This will also reduce the possibility that your ancestry file will try to link with this file.

Then install FTM2014, but DON'T Open your old FTM2012 file with FTM2014.

Once you have registered FTM2014, or FTM otherwise recognizes the ancestry file as yours, go to the Plan workspace and choose to have the ancestry file linked to your computer from scratch. FTM should create a new FTM2014 file and you should be set to move forward.

Be mindful that these steps are if you want to continue syncing in spite of its many problems. If you don't want to sync, and I suggest you don't sync, you can still backup your ancestry file to your computer the old-fashioned way - a simple one-time "snapshot" backup from the Plan Workspace into an FTM file.

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 2:18PM GMT
I'm a little frightened by this suggestion, but maybe things have changed in ways I don't understand with 2014. With 2012, however, I wouldn't want to break the link with my tree at Ancestry.com and start over. I'd lose a lot of stuff if I did that, e.g., all the stuff in FTM that doesn't sync with Ancestry.com (and for others, vice versa).

Am I understanding this correctly?

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 2:38PM GMT
Edited: 11 Oct 2013 2:40PM GMT
I understood this person works entirely in ancestry.com and just uses the FTM sync as a backup. Further she is scared by all of the horror stories reported here by persons upgrading to FTM2014. Maybe I assumed wrong. Original poster - can you clarify?

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 3:39PM GMT
Thank you both for your input. You are both correct. I work mostly in Ancestry because I am used to it and I can access it more readily from different computers, etc. smart devices, etc. However, there are some charts, etc available in FTM that I also like. Mostly "horror" stories confuse me because I do work primarily in Ancestry. I am still looking for a chart that shows siblings.

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 4:27PM GMT
Okay, based on what I've read then, if you haven't done things like categorize your media, add person notes, media notes, citation notes, etc., then if you should be fine if you just redownload the tree from scratch into 2014. The charts are something done on-the-fly with the data in FTM, so the only thing you would lose is any customized versions you set up, but those are easy to replace (and in 2012 you could import them via the "file merge" utility.)

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 11:50PM GMT
Thanks for taking time to give me your input. I can see I have options in FTM I haven't explored...which I definitely will do in 2014. Appreciate your sharing your thoughts.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions