Search for content in message boards

Scollan surname

Scollan surname

Alan Scollan (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Scollan, Scollin, Scollon, Scallon
I am studying my family tree.
If any body is interested in family history, and has the surname of Scollan, please contact me on my email address.

SCOLLAN etc

Posted: 13 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 11:10PM GMT
Surnames: BARTON, COLVILLE, HOUSTON
Hi Alan

There are 4 SCOLLAN names in the free searchable database on Fermanagh Gold website, see the link below. Hope this helps.

Re: Scollan surname

Lorraine (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2001 5:19PM GMT
Surnames: Scollan
Very interested in family history, have very little information. I will be in Ireland this October, hope to find more info at that time. Anything you can give me will help.

My father's name was James Patrick Scollan, born NYC 1911, married Elizabeth Holley.

Liam Scollan (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2001 9:34PM GMT
Surnames: Scollan
Have some information on Scollans originally from Ardlougher/Corlishen area of county Leitrim.

lorraine (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2001 4:36PM GMT
Spent two wonderful weeks traveling Ireland, didn't get your message until my return. Did some research at the Dublin,National Library - they said that my family comes from the north in Derry. I had been told before Leithrim.

Now I'm totally confused and even more curious about my history. Any info will help.

Scollan (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2001 7:02PM GMT
It is not exactly known from where exactly the Scollans originate. One theory ( and it is only a theory) is that a Francois Scallon (French) was shipwrecked off the Irish coast in 1600s and started the Scollan variously known as Scallan/Scollin/Scollen etc line from Fermanagh. Not many Scollans now remain in Ireland. Some are in Leitrim where they seem to go back at least to the late 1700s. I was born in Leitrim but I am aware of Scollans in parts of USA and in UK who are all currently searching Scollans. I have only just got interested, having recently got enquiries from people. We are currently corresponding directly by email and building up a tree branch by branch or to be more honest leaf by leaf!!!.

We have already two little trees and a lot of names of scollans who emigrated at various times or had land in Ireland or were born or died etc. It is like trying to piece together a jigsaw.

I am not sure how you can begin to contact me directly as I am not sure of the wisdom of giving out email numbers over a noticeboard but maybe you know a way? This was my first time to use a noticeboard!
Liam

Posted: 3 Apr 2004 7:49PM GMT
I am interested in hearing from you regarding the Scollan name. My g-grandfather is Thomas Scollan born 1867 and lived in Boston. I would like to find out more.
Thank you
ssieklucki@aol.com

Posted: 8 Feb 2011 10:29PM GMT
Surnames: Scollan, Lenahan
In Michigan here, where my great grandfather was James Frances Scollan born 1876, married Mary Lenahan (family is also of Ireland). James' father and mother were William Scollan and Ann McNamo (?) of Ireland. Ended up Michigan. Hope this helps!

Posted: 1 Mar 2011 10:20PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. I have been so confused that I am really hoping someone will put a nice tree with alll Scollans from all over the world on it!! At any rate I have a record here od a William Scollan born 1844 in Leitrim and another William Scollan born 1849. That makes them candidates for being the father of your great grandfather. and then again ...who knows!
Thank you
Liam Scollan

Posted: 13 Mar 2011 3:30PM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2011 3:33PM GMT
Surnames: Noble Scollon Scollins
Hello, Alan--
My great-grandfather, John Francis Noble (believed to have been a teenage stowaway) was born in Co. Fermanagh in 1847 and is listed on the 1860 U. S. census as living in Meriden, CT with farm laborers named Anthony and Mary Scollon (on another record the name is written as Scollins) who, according to oral tradition, were relatives. More than a decade later, Anthony and Mary were also Catholic godparents in Meriden for one of the sons of John Francis. Any known connection?
Ray Noble
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions