Search for content in message boards

Samuel McAdams

Samuel McAdams

Cindy Craig Howser (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McAdams
I am searching for the parents of Samuel McAdams. He was born 1749, probably in VA or PA. He was in Gen. Clark's militia in 1775, and was living in Yohogania Co., VA in 1779. In 1781, Samuel was awarded 400 acres of land for his Rev. War service and took up residence on Pottinger's Creek in Jefferson County, KY. He continued his military service, serving in Col. Coxes regiment under Gen. Clark on an expedition against the Shawnee from Oct. 21 to Nov. 25, 1782. Nelson County was taken from Jefferson Co. and Samuel appears several times in the court and on the tax lists of Nelson County. He moved to Harrison Co., Indiana.
He was married first to Sarah, and second to Jemima Cravens.

His son, Alexander was one of the early settlers of Scott Co., Indiana.

Thanks,
Cindy~

Alexander McAdams, Catherine Jupin, Elizabeth Ardrey

Cindy Craig Howser (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McAdams, Jupin, Ardrey
Alexander McAdams, son of Samuel, md. first Catherine Jupin, d/o John Jupin? and md. second Elizabeth Ardrey, d/o Alexander Ardrey and Susannah Gaddis. Alexander married both women in Nelson Co., before moving to Indiana.

Would love to share info. with anyone researching these lines.

Cindy~

Re: Samuel McAdams

Melissa Schauer (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2004 6:41PM GMT
I have all the info on the McAdams side, all the way back where they have crossed from Scotland. I would be glad to share the info with you.
Melissa

Posted: 3 Sep 2004 3:31AM GMT
Surnames: McAdams, Adams, McAdam, McCadam
Am looking for a branch of McAdams that became Adams by 1788 (probably much earlier). They most likely came to the colonies from Scotland via Ireland before 1768 settling in what became southwestern Pennsylvania --Westmoreland then Washington counties. Family names include David, John, William, Henry, James and Robert. Thanks for any help.

melissa (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2004 12:37PM GMT
Surnames: McAdams
Alexander McAdams came to America around 1750 with the Scottish 77th regiment. When the tour of duty was over they were offered a passage home of a land grant. He left few records but owned land in Westmoreland County Pennsylvania and lived in Yohogania County Virginia. Yohogania was part of the border dispute between Pennsylvania and Virginia and is mostly referred to as Virginia. He was born about 1723 in Scotland.He had 3 sons Samuel, William and John.
Samuel McAdams, b. 1749 in Virginia who married Sarah ? Samuel appears to be the
son of Alexander McAdams listed on the military roll in 1761 in Fredricks Co., Virginia and
who sold his land in Westmoreland Co., Penn. This the same area as the old county of
Yohogania was located and where Samuel sold his land in 1779. I have so much info on this side. If you contact me at MelSchauer at aol dot com I can give you all that I have. I hope this will help you.

Posted: 31 Aug 2005 7:25PM GMT
Surnames: McAdams- Adams
I am searching for the parents of James Adams of Kentucky and Harrison County, IN. I was wondering if you have a James Adams born abt. 1814 in Kentucky?

Posted: 16 Feb 2010 1:13AM GMT
Surnames: MCADAMS
I am descended from Samuel McAdams' son, Samuel McAdams, Jr. who married Elizabeth Nottingham in Harrison County, Indiana in 1810. Elizabeth was the daughter of Philip & Elender Nottingham of Washington/Nelson County, KY. Samuel, Jr. left a will in Harrison County, probated April 1, 1864. His widow, Elizabeth died sometime after 1870.

Anyway, according to some online sources, there seems to be a good chance that our particular Samuel McAdams (Sr.) was a son of a Alexander McAdams. But records are skimpy for Alexander and his family.

I have been told that Samuel, Sr.'s wife, Sarah may be a Hagan. Samuel was involved with the Hagan family in deeds. She may be the Sarah Hagan referred to in the will of James Hagan. James Hagan was married to Monica Johnson. But I don't know for certain.

Jesse

Posted: 9 May 2012 3:59AM GMT
Surnames: McAdams, Church, McCune, Perkins, Allen, Smith
I have been trying to gather information on this family to cover the marriage of my McCune side with the McAdams side. It appears that one of Samuel McAdams, Sr. son's was John McAdams and he had a son named Stephen McAdams. I've also noticed in seaching numerous documents where my g g g g grandfather Andrew McCune executed documents involving Samuel McAdams, both in Nelson County, Ky and Harrison County, Indiana. This is why I would love to have the information to add to our tree.
Thanks
susan mulledy-defrank

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 12:46AM GMT
Melissa, I would like to have the information on the McAdams family as they came from Scotland. Do you still have that?

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 11:41PM GMT
I think I am a decendant of Samuel McAdams of Harrison Co. IN. I am specifically looking for information on my great Grandfather John Quincy McAdams. Do you have any information?

Jerry McAdams
Louisville, KY
per page

Find a board about a specific topic