Search for content in message boards

Help--Installed FTM 2014 on Mac w Parallels 9, Windows 8 virtual machine

Help--Installed FTM 2014 on Mac w Parallels 9, Windows 8 virtual machine

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 2:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm very new to Parallels 9 and to Windows 8. Installed FTM2014 on newer MacBookPro W/ Retina, and the FTM interface looks horrible. Would appreciate any tips to improve appearance and/or performance of FTM. Do I need to tweak Parallels settings? Windows 8 settings? My Windows 7 PC died a while back, and I'm going thru genea-withdrawal! Thanks in advance.

Re: Help--Installed FTM 2014 on Mac w Parallels 9, Windows 8 virtual machine

Posted: 13 Oct 2013 5:50AM GMT
I have had FTM 2014 (64 bit) and before that FTM 2012 (32-bit) installed under Parallels 7 and Win 7 Pro

Both have run excellently with no problems.

I doubt that you will have any problems although you will find that FTM for mac 2 (32 bit) is as fast as Win 2014 64-bit and I think you will be even more impressed with FTM Mac 3 (64-bit) when it is released.

But I have found Parallels 7 excellent on a wide range of Windows programs

John D

Posted: 13 Oct 2013 7:17PM GMT
John D, Thanks so much for your input. I may change over to FTM Mac 3 64-bit, assuming that it can take advantage of the Retina display resolution, which the Windows version apparently cannot.

For anyone else who has my original problem--you can get an acceptable (barely) view of FTM 2014 on your MacBookPro by setting your WINDOWS 8 virtual machine to use 1024x768 resolution and small/100% for Windows 8 item sizes. I also "unchecked" the Windows XP option.

These are the specs for my installation of FTM 2014 on a MacBookPro

Computer: MacBookPro with Retina, 15", early 2013 version
Main Operating System: OS X Mountain Lion with all updates
Parallels 9 installed and updated
Guest OS/Virtual Machine: Windows 8 (Windows 8 itself may not be completely updated--I keep getting conflicting messages about this)
FTM 2014 installed via Windows 8; FTM 2014 updated after installation.

Upon initial launch, FTM 2014 was all but unusable. Interface elements either too large or too small; cut off or crunched on top of something else. I had to change the Windows 8 screen resolution by launching Parallels, getting onto Windows 8 Desktop, and right-clicking in a blank area of the Desktop to access the context menu.

Hope that this info will help someone--but if you know of any way to run FTM 2014 at a higher resolution within Parallels 9/Windows 8, please share!

Posted: 26 Nov 2013 12:30AM GMT
Good to know it isn't just me Catherine.
I've just installed FTM2014 under Win7 on my new macbookpro under parallels 9, it is exactly as you described, unusable.
I've already tweaked the settings for my main genie program and don't particularly wish to have to alter visibility settings between two programs just to get acceptable output for FTM !!
Ironically, FTM2014 was the tipping point for the upgrade to new macbookpro as I'd run out of space on my old one and either had to repartition to allocate more space to the C: drive to instal it, or upgrade the machine.
FTM2012 ran fine under VMWareFusion / Win7 on my older non retina macbookpro but as I can't instal any more programs on the older machine I cannot compare behaviour of FTM 2014 under retina display/parallels/mavericks vs VMWareFusion 10.6.8 OS.

Posted: 26 Nov 2013 12:50AM GMT
I should note that I use an iMac 27 and resolution is not an issue

I have not tried it on a Mac Book Pro

I doubt that Ancestry.com can assist, as they will say that they do not support FTM (Win) run in a virtual machine as is has not been developed or tested that way.

I would suggest that you wait for FTMM3 which should be announced soon and forget about using FTM 2014 in your MBP.

It 'flys' when run natively in my iMac loading in 2 seconds for the 64 bit version

John D

Posted: 26 Nov 2013 1:01AM GMT
I can add that FTM2012 for Macv2 works fine on macbookpro retina mavericks etc, albeit it is such a poor cousin to FTM for windows.

The only reason I even use FTM at all is to keep track of my ancestry trees, AND to assist others in at a local user group, so I need to have both windows and mac versions available. Currenlty looks like I'll be taking two machines with me!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions