Search for content in message boards

Slowness of Ancestry Merges

Slowness of Ancestry Merges

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 3:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
This latest episode of slow ancestry connections has affected my for about a week, maybe more.

Today, a family with 2 parents, 1 grandparent, 9 children in 1920 census took six minutes.

I don't have a "stopwatch" time for how fast it was before, but my estimate might be 10 seconds per person, plus 30 seconds for handshaking and downloading the image. would be about 3 minutes - or half this time.

What are results of others?

Re: Slowness of Ancestry Merges

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 8:31PM GMT
I noticed that things got slower when the new version came out and then again over the weekend. I see that the message board have new icons, etc., so maybe things will speed up again.

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 9:43PM GMT
Haven't had that problem. Do you clean out your browser history?

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 12:00AM GMT
Silverfox - I can't speak to FTM2014, because I have not "yet" moved from 2012.

Any attempt to do anything in FTM is so slow that I can't imagine how you accomplish anything. I stick to doing everything I possibly can from the online ancestry tree, to keep from going stark raving mad from the boredom of waiting for FTM to complete.

This morning I deleted 6 unattached media/source items from the FTM side, since I can't do that from AMT side. I had made no other changes/deletions/additions. The sync took nearly 2 hours. My usual sync, after many changes/additions/deletions from the AMT side, takes about 15-30 minutes.

I know that was not your post/question. Just reporting my experience.

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 5:11PM GMT
Several hours to 2-3 days to crash on the few occasions it has synced have been done in a few minutes. There appears to be totally inadequate server side capacity for number of members plus free offers. The free searches etc should have separate additional virtual capacity purchased to cope with the additional demands. I am on the Mac 2 version and no better. Praying 64 bit fixes it but not holding breath.

Posted: 17 Oct 2013 5:03AM GMT
Wow! Six minutes! Even three minutes is too long. I know you don't use Ancestry.com and sync, but you can attach records there almost instantly--and when saving census records you get a separate citation with (woefully inadequate citation text) for each person saved in the household.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions