Search for content in message boards

Corrrecting Place Names (FTM 2012)

Corrrecting Place Names (FTM 2012)

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 2:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am reviewing all my data and noticed I may have done something I should not have done.

When I copied the name of a location from a source document, I found out it was spelled incorrectly, but I disregarded that fact and changed the name to the correct place name when I entered into FTM 2012. Now I am thinking I should not have done that.

So here's my questions:

1. Should I show the incorrect spelling with the appropriate source document?
2. Should I correct the place name and use that as the Preferred fact?

If I following question 2 above, is there a way to change all 40-plus sources at one time and add a new source with the correct spelling and use that as the Preferred fact?

Re: Corrrecting Place Names (FTM 2012)

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 2:37PM GMT
Edited: 15 Oct 2013 2:41PM GMT
My inclination would be to put the correct spelling in the Place field of the Fact; but let the incorrect spelling in the record stay in the source (probably in the Source Title or the Source Detail).

This is not much different in concept than adding the county to a place name in the Fact field - but leaving the place name in the source as you found it - which often won't show the county.

Whether you can change all 40 sources at a time depends on where the place was entered and whether the citations were separate (by using Paste Duplicate) or the same citation (by using Paste Link).

If the name in the source is coming from the source title - changing that source name will show in all citations from that source - whether duplicates or paste-link clones.

If place is in the place citation detail or text and the citation was attached to various facts by Paste-duplicate, the change in place name would need to be made in each citation.

If place is in the place citation detail or text and the citation was attached to various facts by Paste-Link, then changing the place in one of them will change all of those citations.

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 7:41PM GMT
I'm somewhat confused, probably because I didn't define my situation well. So, here's (hopefully) a better description:

I started making entries from the Strauss/Kieser Family History Chart book. The author said several folks (approximately 40) we born in Mindora MN. So I entered that. FTM didn't like that; it recommended Mindoro MN. I checked; yes, Mindoro MN is the correct spelling. So I entered the locations as Mindoro. Now I realize I should have entered Mindora MN as the location.

I probably should have entered Mindoro as the correct name and as the preferred fact showing Mindora as the alternate fact.

What I'd like to do is change the preferred to Mindoro MN and make Mindora as the alternate fact using the Strauss/Kieser Family History Chart book as the source AND source citation (Strauss/Kieser Family History Chart book is the source; the chart number and page is the source citation).

How do I mass change the current Mindoro referencing the Strauss/Kieser Family History Chart book to an alternate fact and create a new source of Mindoro MN as the preferred fact and link all 40 or so persons to the new preferred fact.

Thanks!

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 8:11PM GMT
Edited: 16 Oct 2013 8:12PM GMT
First of all, are you sure you mean MN and not WI??

If so, is it not:

Mindoro, La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA

???

Secondly:

If that is the correct name, why do you want to enter an alternative name for the spelling variation?

I can see entering two places if one name was for that place in 1700 and another name for that place in 1900; but I wouldn't usually enter different spellings in two different facts.

Fourth,

You can do what you want to by

1) One by one,or
2) copying and pasting the facts.

To copy and paste:

Make a fact (incl source citation) for a family member, then right-click copy and right-click paste. You can paste to parents, spouses, siblings and/or children of your selected person. You can move to another person and paste the copied fact (with source citation) to that person's parents, spouses, siblings, and/or children.

Does this answer your question?

Posted: 17 Oct 2013 4:15AM GMT
In my opinion it's good practice always to record information in your facts exactly as it's written in source materials. Unfortunately, Family Tree Maker just doesn't handle situations like this as well as it could, so most people use what FTM offers as best they can. With that in mind, I might recommend deviating from the good practice here by including an interpreted place name with the correct spelling in your fact. The citation detail for the source should transcribe verbatim the spelling used by the author, and you should use a fact note for each one where you have interpreted Mindora to be Mindoro.

To change a place name en masse, do it from the Places workspace. To change facts into different facts, choose Manage Facts under the edit menu. There is no facility to duplicate selected facts en masse and change one to an alternate. You have to do that manually.

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 8:28PM GMT
Thanks for the replies! It wasn't as bad as I thought.
Using the Places workspace, this problem exists with only 8 names so I have changed the place name to Mindora, La Crosse County, Wisconsin (as it appears in the Strauss/Kieser Family History Chart Book).

Now I want to change the place name to Mindoro, La Cross County Wisconsin as the preferred fact with a different source (but keeping Mindora as an alternate fact with the Strauss/Kieser Family History Chart Book as the source for that spelling). My question is, what source do I use?

I am unable to find anything that says Mindoro was originally spelled with an a. The only thing I can find is that Mindoro is an unincorporated community in the the town of Farmington in La Crosse County. I could use Wikipedia's entry. Or I could us the US Census Bureau's GNIS vast listing.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 9:25PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2013 9:26PM GMT
It's not clear to me what you're looking to source. FTM doesn't allow you to source different elements of a fact separately, so you must create separate facts for each detail that appears differently in your sources (e.g., one for the date, one for the place, one for the "description").

I suggested here that you might use the correct spelling in the fact, citing the incorrect spelling in the citation detail, and explaining in your fact notes why you interpret it to be the place with the correct spelling. That's where you can make reference to using wikipedia to determine the correct spelling, but do not use wikipedia to source your fact (i.e., the event that took place there), because Wikipedia isn't the source of that.

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 3:40AM GMT
Still not sure I'm fully understanding what Marco Scavo is saying (citation details?), so here's what I've done:

The Strauss / Kieser Family History Chart Book has the following entry 9 times: Mindora, Wisc

Originally when I entered the information in FTM 2012, I entered it as Mindoro, La Crosse County, Wisconsin and marked it as a Preferred Fact and cited the Strauss / Kieser Family History Chart Book as the source.

On the right side of the screen, I filled in the following fields:

Date: (left blank)
Place: Mindoro, La Crosse County, Wisconsin
Description: (left blank)

Below that I have the source as "Strauss / Kieser Family History Chart Book"
I originally marked that entry as the Preferred fact.

I now know that is incorrect (I changed the spelling to confirm to what the name of that location should be), so I made another entry as follows:

Place: Mindora, La Crosse County, Wisconsin
Description: (left blank)

Below that I also have the source as "Strauss / Kieser Family History Chart Book"

I then changed all 9 entries so Mindora is now the preferred fact with the source as "Strauss / Kieser Family History Chart Book".

I also have another Burial fact that shows Mindoro as an alternate. Temporarily the fact with Mindoro is showing the source as "Strauss / Kieser Family History Chart Book", but will change that to something else as soon as I can figure out what source I should use.

I want to keep both facts, but have Mindoro as the preferred and Mindora as the alternate with the source as "Strauss / Kieser Family History Chart Book" so anyone will know how the original source spelled it.

As for "Citation Detail", I'm using that to indicate which chart and page number the fact came from since the book has around 50 pages.

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 2:16PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2013 2:17PM GMT
I wrote citation detail when I meant citation text. You're correct about that being used to indicate the page. Sometimes I reply too quickly and don't pay close enough attention to what I'm doing. Sorry for being confusing.

If I had something that said "Mindora, Wisc" for the location of some fact, say a burial as you have, then here are two different ways that you could go about it.

Method one: Using an interpreted place name two preferred vs. alternate

Burial Fact: Preferred
Fact date: (left blank)
Fact place: Place: Mindoro, Farmington Town, LaCrosse County, Wisconsin, USA
Fact description: (left blank)
Fact notes: Explain why you interpret "Mindora, Wisc." from another source as "Mindoro", unincorporated community in the Town of Farmington. Refer to alternate fact and citation.

Burial Fact: Alternate
Fact date: (left blank)
Fact place: "Mindora, Wisc" (don't put more of your interpretations in here, or why create the alternate fact in the first place?)
Fact description: (left blank)
Fact notes: Place name as listed in Strauss / Keiser Family History Chart Book. See citation notes for more information.
Source: Strauss / Keiser Family History Chart Book
Citation detail: page whatever
Citation text: "Mindora, Wisc" (this is missing other key information obviously that I don't know)
Citation notes: I interpret "Mindora, Wisc" to be the unincorporated community of "Mindoro" in the Town of Farmington, LaCrosse county, Wisconsin because (1) yada yada (2) yada yada (3) yada yada.

Method two: Using an interpreted place name in a single fact

Fact type: burial
Place: Mindoro, Farmington Town, LaCrosse County, Wisconsin, USA
Description (left blank)
Source: Strauss / Keiser Family History Chart Book
Citation detail: page whatever
Citation text: "Mindora, Wisc" (this is missing other key information obviously that I don't know)
Citation notes: I interpret "Mindora, Wisc" to be the unincorporated community of "Mindoro" in the Town of Farmington, LaCrosse county, Wisconsin because (1) yada yada (2) yada yada (3) yada yada.

Summary:

There's really no ideal way to do this in FTM. It's not geared for capturing information verbatim at a fact-level and using multiple facts (based on different sources) to develop a composite preferred fact, so you basically have to do that with your fact and citation notes.

Hopefully this was a bit clearer and helpful.

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 3:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2013 6:01PM GMT
Marco,

Thanks for this great explanation. I personally advocate method 2, this is done to keep consistent reporting of instances were a place was know by several names. This is how I deal with Historical Place name changes or where a place was called different things by different resident ethnic groups. My standard is to always put the name as it appears on a map today in the PLACe tag, with NOTEs and Citation Text (text contains the name from the actual source) used to explain the historical or contextual reason for the name being different from the PLACe tag and the actual source.

I keep the PLACe tag consistent to todays name so that my mapping software (I don't use FTM anymore) can locate the place when I build a map of important places for the individual, family or extracted group of people.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions