Search for content in message boards

Cannot import large GEDCOM files - FTM says not enough memory.

Cannot import large GEDCOM files - FTM says not enough memory.

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 5:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to import several large GEDCOM files into Family Tree Maker 2012. It doesn't matter which file I try to import, the result is the same. FTM says that there is not enough memory to import the file, and suggests that I use the "low memory" import option. When I do so, it STILL won't import the large file (though I don't find out about that until about 24 hours later, because the low-memory option is much slower.)

I don't see how I can be out of memory -- I have 8 (that's EIGHT) gigabytes of RAM, more than enough for anything that I could ever expect to import into FTM. The files I'm trying to import are never larger than 500 megabytes, consisting of several hundred thousand individuals. There's no valid reason why FTM shouldn't be able to import these files; it works just fine in older copies of FTM, as well as in Personal Ancestral File and many other shareware and retail genealogy programs.

I know on the Apple Mac there's a way to set the amount of memory allocated to each individual program. I wonder if there's a similar option in Windows, some way of telling FTM to use more of the available RAM in my machine?

Re: Cannot import large GEDCOM files - FTM says not enough memory.

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 7:36PM GMT
I assume that you are running a 64 bit version of Windows, but which version are you running?

Also how much empty disk space do you have on your C drive?

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 9:18PM GMT
FTM 2012 cannot use very much of your memory. I've tried to import/merge a small file with a larger one and after 24 hours, the program fails with out of memory errors. This is using the 64-bit version and FTM fails with about 4GB RAM used.

Regards,

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 1:24PM GMT
Even though you are running a 64 bit OS, to the best of my knowledge FTM is a 32bit program thus the 4gb limit.

Are you sure you are downloading the Gedcom, and not the FTM file?

While the media is nice, the real difficult thing to recreate is the text.

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 2:40PM GMT
I'm running 64-bit Windows 8. My machine has 8 gigs of RAM, and a 1 TB hard drive (of which more than 400 GB is free space. So, it's not an issue of not having the resources; it's an issue, I think, of FTM not properly handling the resources available to it.

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 2:41PM GMT
I've read multiple posts on other sites where people are complaining about this issue -- and have apparently been complaining about it for several years, even with prior versions of FTM. The company is aware of the problem, but apparently refuses to fix it.

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 2:42PM GMT
The file I am importing is a GEDCOM file, with NO media attached to it. Strictly text. I'm not going to manually enter all of those people, it would take forever and isn't worth my time. I just think it's screwed up that Ancestry would put out a program with such an obvious bug, on a feature that's one of the program's primary functions.

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 3:54PM GMT
Reports are that FTM 2014 despite its syncing difficulties is much better on this memory use problem.

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 5:20PM GMT
While there may be work around unless FTM 2014 is written in 64 bit code, it will nor handle more that 4GB. They may have written work arounds to shuffle parts of the file, but........................

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 6:03PM GMT
There are two FTM 2014, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions