Search for content in message boards

family of David Thompson abt.1777-1830s

family of David Thompson abt.1777-1830s

Posted: 26 Aug 2004 3:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Nov 2004 6:22AM GMT
Surnames: Thompson
Looking for children of David Thompson & wife Elizabeth Thompson (1st cousins). Married 1797 in Campbell Co. Believe Eliz. died abt. 1819 & David married again in 1822 to a Sally Lewis. David lived in Lynchburg & was son of Wm. Thompson who was a grandson of Rev. John Thompson, the well documented Presby. minister of the 1700s. Think my great-great grandfather Levi Thompson was a son of David & Eliz., but need proof.

Re: family of David Thompson abt.1777-1830s

Bill Davidson (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2004 1:38PM GMT
Surnames: Davidson, Thompson
I am a descendant of Reverend John Thom(p)son. His daughter Jane married Douglas Baker of Prince Edward County, VA (PECo). Douglas and Jane (Thompson) Baker had Martha Baker, and Martha Baker married my 5th ggf, William Davidson (around 1770+/-). As you probably already know, one of the Reverend's sons, John Thompson, Senior, moved to Campbell County, VA and had several children. One of those children was William Thompson, and William Thompson married Jane Shilliday. Note: A couple of Martha Baker's siblings are also said to have also married into the PECo Shilliday family; one was Esther Baker, as I recall, and the other one was listed as an "unknown Baker" on a Baker website). I don't have great documentation on the rest, but I show that William and Jane (Shilliday) Thompson had at least three children. They were Margaret, David and John Thompson. Unfortunately, I do not have any information on David's wife or children at this point in time. If my continuing search produces any info, I will be sure to let you know right away.

An interesting "side issue," however, is that David's brother John is said to have married a Margaret Davidson, likely a son of an Alexander Davidson of Campbell County, VA. Alexander Davidson of Campbell County, VA seems to have been previously in Albermarle County, VA and then in Buckingham County, VA (he appears on the 1764 Buckingham County, VA tithe list, as do several members of my Davidson family). I have not proven it, but I suspect that Alexander Davidson was related to my Davidson family. An Edward Davidson in Buckingham County, VA, who had apparent brothers named David and William Davidson, and sons named David Mosby Davidson and Charles Davidson, also moved to Campbell County, VA (was actually Bedford County, VA before 1782, as I recall). Most of these guys were on the 1764 Buckingham County, VA tithe list, as were two other/additional William Davidsons (one of whom was listed as a "Junior"). I suspect that one of these three "Buckingham William Davidsons" married Martha Baker in PECo, especially since three members of this Davidson family were in the militia in PECo in 1776 and in 1781 (show on militia rolls there for those two years). In a strange apparent coincidence, Edward and Alexander Davidson had their wills probated on the exact same day in Campbell County, VA (June 5, 1794, as I recall). Edward Davidson's son, David Mosby Davidson, died in Campbell County the previous year (1793). Alexander Davidson and his unknown wife (wives?) had a bunch of children, including a second Alexander, and, of course, a Margaret Davidson.

On another "side issue," in 1781 a John Thompson bought the home of William and Martha (Baker) Davidson in Rockbridge County,VA (would have been either Augusta County, VA or Botetourt County, VA when the home was built circa 1775, since Rockbridge County, VA was not created until 1778). A few years later, a Thomas Thomson bought the home, and a few years after that, a Dorothy Thompson bought the home (she married Samuel Kinnerly, as I recall). Do you have any idea exactly how/if these Thompsons were related to the Reverend's family? After Dorothy, the home was deeded to Reverend Andrew Baker Davidson, a son of William and Martha (Baker) Davidson.

Finally, a Mary Thompson married a John Davidson in 1787 in Rockbridge County, VA. John was from a Davidson family that was apparently unrelated to mine (he was apparently born in 1757 in Augusta County, VA and was living in Botetourt County, VA when he joined the Rev. War). Per a Rockbridge County, VA marriage book, the marriage bond showed JOSEPH and Mary Thompson as the parents of this Mary Thompson. I can't seem to "find" this Joseph Thompson in the Thompson family, and I wonder if that should have said JOHN and Mary Thompson were Mary Thompson's parents (do you know)?

If I learn more on David, I will sure pass it on. If you have comments/input on the above, please let me know. Thanks!

Kenneth Thompson (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2004 5:50PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Wyatt, Peatross
In your research on the Thompsons and Davidsons, have you come across a Matthew Thompson, born abt. 1750? We believe he was born in Caroline County, and he married a Sarah Wyatt of Caroline. After their marriage they moved to Louisa County, Va. Many thanks for any clues. Ken Thompson.

Posted: 30 Aug 2004 10:54AM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Thomson
There were apparently two or more "branches" of Matthew Thompsons (of which I am aware). The Reverend John Thom(p)son had a son named John Thompson, Senior. This son John had 7 children with his wife Margaret Phair, including a John Thompson, Junior and a Matthew Thompson. John Thompson, Senior moved to Campbell County, VA where he reared his family. It looks like this Matthew Thompson COULD have been born around 1750, based on the age of his father (father John Thompson, Senior died around 1791). Matthew was devised land that his father still owned in Prince Edward County, VA (where John Thompson, Senior was probably born since the Reverend lived there when he came to VA from PA). Matthew was also devised 315 acres in Buckingham County, VA which Abraham and Rebecca Neighbors had sold John Thompson, Senior back in 1765.

There was another Matthew Thompson. He died in Augusta County, VA in 1753, per his will. As I recall, his wife was Margaret, and they had four children: Matthew (yet another one), John, William and Margaret (who apprently had 5 children of her own; I don't know her married name). I do not know (yet) how/if this Matthew was related to Reverend John Thompson.

There is a post on the Internet about a Matthew Thompson who was born in Maghera, Ireland in 1731 and who came to DE (where the Reverend also lived before going to PA, VA and finally NC). This Matthew is said to have come to America with 2 of his 4 brothers (named John and William Thompson). I do not know how/if this Matthew Thompson and his brothers were related to Reverend John Thompson. Based on the names, MAYBE this Matthew and his brothers William and John were the children of the Matthew who died in 1753 in Augusta County, VA.

If you can add to this, please let me know.

Posted: 26 Jan 2005 8:25PM GMT
UPDATE: I now know that I am from the following Davidson family: Hezekiah (my 5th ggf; died in Cumberland Co., VA around 1793), Philemon (died 1810), Reuben F. (died 1846), Joseph Cornelius (died 1891) and Thomas Archer (my ggf; died 1924). There are some records that show that Philemon Davidson (my 4th ggf) was a friend and neighbor to a Charles Davidson in Cumberland Co., VA in the late 1700s. Charles Davidson was a son of the Edward Davidson who was in Buckingham County, VA on the 1764 tithe list (and Edward had apparent brothers named David and William Davidson on that same tithe list). I do not know for sure at this point, however, if the two Davidson families were/are "blood related."

One of the William Davidsons in Buckingham Co., VA (there were three on the 1764 tithe list) married Martha Baker of Prince Edward Co., VA, and they moved to Botetourt County, VA around 1774. Martha's mother was Jane Thompson, a daughter of Rev. John Thomson (of Ireland, DE, PA, VA and finally NC). The house they built in Botetourt (the part of the county that became Rockbridge Co. in 1778) was later purchased by three different Thompsons (John, Thomas and Dorothy), as stated in my previous post. I still do not know how/if those Thompsons were related to Rev. John Thomson. I assume that THIS William Davidson from Buckingham was a member of the same family as the older Edward, David and William Davidson on the 1764 Buckingham tithe list, but as stated above, I don't know for sure if my family was related to them (I had originally thought that I was directly descended from this William and Martha (Baker) Davidson).

Alexander Davidson was also on the 1764 tithe list in Buckingham Co., VA. He moved to Campbell Co., VA (as did the above Edward Davidson), and his daughter Margaret Davidson married John Thompson there in 1796. John was a descendant of Rev. John Thomson; the Reverend was at one time a resident of Prince Edward County, VA, but his son, John Thompson, Senior, moved to Bedford/Campbell Co., VA. I do not know for sure if Alexander Davidson was related to the other Davidson family that was also on the 1764 Buckingham Co., VA tithe list. He does not seem to have been in Goochland Co., VA where Edward, David and William were in the 1740s, so Alexander could be from another family.

I still do not know who the Mary Thompson was who married John Davidson in 1787. A Mary Davidson was listed as a niece in the 1824 Augusta County, VA will of an Alexander Thompson, but I'm not sure how this Alexander Thompson and Mary (Thompson) Davidson "tie into" any of the Thompson families in VA. While it seems that this John Davidson was from a Davidson family that was not related to any of the above Davidson families, he also lived in Botetourt by the time the Rev. War started, and it seems that he and William Davidson (again, whose wife Martha was a descendant of Rev. Thomson) were friends in that county.

If anyone has any new info on those Thompsons in Botetourt and/or Rockbridge County, VA, (John, Thomas, Dorothy and Mary) and please let me know. Thanks!

Posted: 6 Apr 2010 11:46PM GMT
I now know that the William Davidson who bought land in Botetourt in 1774, and who built a house there about 1775 (this land became part of Rockbridge Co., VA in 1778), was not the William Davidson who married Martha Baker after all. The William Davidson who built that house was from PA, and he married first Sarah McCoy and second the widow Mrs. Elizabeth (Wilson) McCrea. This William Davidson was a member of DNA "Family 16" at www.davidsongenes.org.

It APPEARS that the William Davidson who married Martha Baker was a member of DNA "Family 10"...but more research is needed on that. William and Martha (Baker) Davidson seem to have come to Botetourt Co., VA a little later (but by at least 1782).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic