Search for content in message boards

mckenzie australia

mckenzie australia

karen (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2002 2:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McKenzie, McDonald
Tracing McKenzie's came to Melbourne,Australia in about 1852. John and Johannah (nee McDonald) Had 1 son Donald who married Isabella(nee McDonald). Have resided in Victoria until present day. Any help with extra information would be appreciated.

Re: mckenzie australia

Posted: 25 May 2008 6:10AM GMT
I notice on Ancestry that you are researching John McKenzie who came to Victoria around 1852. I am also researching a John McKenzie who came to Victoria around that time. He was from Argyllshire - parents John McKenzie and jean Keith. He died in Melbourne in 1906. I do not know the name of his wife, just that he was a widower with 3 sons and 1 daughter. Any of this sound familiar?

Would love to hear from you
myra (from sunny Tasmania)

Posted: 25 May 2008 6:12AM GMT
Surnames: McKenzie
I notice on Ancestry that you are researching John McKenzie who came to Victoria around 1852. I am also researching a John McKenzie who came to Victoria around that time. He was from Argyllshire - parents John McKenzie and jean Keith. He died in Melbourne in 1906. I do not know the name of his wife, just that he was a widower with 3 sons and 1 daughter. Any of this sound familiar?

Would love to hear from you
myra (from sunny Tasmania)

Posted: 25 May 2008 9:46PM GMT
My McKenzie family came to Victoria Oct 1852 on the ship Miltiades. They had a John in the family but he was to young to be the one your looking for,however happy to share my lot with you just in case.There were about 33 with that name on board.
Regards
Ron

Posted: 26 Jun 2008 10:11AM GMT
My McKenzie was Helen Douglas McKenzie born 1877 (brother Keith Douglas McKenzie born in Sydney 1879) - parents were Colonel Douglas McKenzie and Nina McKenzie (nee ???) - looking for more information on the Colonel and his wife - could have been in Tasmania before NSW

Posted: 30 Aug 2008 6:39AM GMT
Dear Karen,

Have just returned from holiday, so I can't remember if I have replied to your message. My John McKenzie was born in 1827 in Argyllshire - (Benderloch or Ledgaig) and was the son of Jean Keith and John McKenzie. He came to Australia around 1852 and died in Melbourne in 1906. From his death certificate he was a widower with 3 sons and 1 daughter, but no names given. It is possible he had a son Donald and also with the name Keith it is possible. Anyway, if you have any further information i.e. the boat he came to Australia in, who he married, etc. I would certainly appreciate it. He was my grandmother's uncle and I would love to find family in Australia as we migrated to Tasmania from Scotland and it would just round off a few unanswered questions.

with kindest regards,
myra

Posted: 1 Sep 2009 8:22PM GMT
My Mackenzie (Mac, not McK) was Keith Douglas Mackenzie who went to South Africa to fight in the Boer War, stayed on afterwards, married and had four children. Also seeking details on his father, Col. Henry Douglas Mackenzie who came to Australia from England.

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 8:05AM GMT
Surnames: Mckenzie
Dear Ron,
My Nana is 96 yrs young. When she was 15 she was a nanny for a little boy (born aprox 1929?) who lived in Glenthompson Victoria. The boys name was John Mckenzie his father was Dr JK (D?)Mckenzie, nana remembers the father calling the mother 'Meg', his grandfather was Rev JK Mckenzie from Toorak, Victoria.
I hoping that this is the same John Mckenzie you mention.
Nana has told me about how much she loved this sweet little boy and that she often wonders how his life turned out and if he is still alive.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Justine

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 4:20AM GMT
Dear Ron,

Many thanks for your reply re John McKenzie. I do not know if my John McKenzie was married before coming to Australia, and it is amost impossible to find the right John McKenzie as there are literally thousands of them. The only way I can find any connection is through his parents, John McKenzie and Jean Keith. What was the name of your John's parents? My John McKenzie died in Melbourne at the Melbourne Benevolent Asylum in 1906, and I know he is the correct John because his parents are mentioned on the certificate.

My John McKenzie was born in February, 1827 in the parish of Ardchattan in Argyllshire.

Many thanks again for your message,
myra from sunny Tasmania

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 4:24AM GMT
Dear Karen,
Thanks for your message re John McKenzie. I will try to see if there is any connection between your John and Johannah. It is possible that John McKenzie married before coming to Australia, so will see if any connection can be made. I know he was a widower when he died in 1906, so will see if I can find out when Johannah died. Do you know where they came from in Scotland? My John McKenzie was born in February, 1827 in the parish of Ardchattan, Argyllshire and died in the Melbourne Benevolent Asylum in 1906. I have his death certificate.

again, many thanks for your kind message,
myra from sunny Tasmania
per page

Find a board about a specific topic