Search for content in message boards

FTM 2014 UK upgrade download

FTM 2014 UK upgrade download

Posted: 18 Oct 2013 12:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
4 days ago I bought the FTM 2014 UK upgrade download from Avanquest from their website at:

http://www.familytreesw.com/upgrade

I assumed it would take me to a page where I could do the download. After all it is 2013 and people download software all the time. How wrong could I be!

All I got was an email thing me for "placing a pre-order" and stating that I will receive my order when they receive the stock. What? This is a download! The advantage of a download is that it is immediate, there isn't any physical stock.

The email came with a customer support email address and phone number. I've emailed them twice and been ignored, and when I tried to phone I got a message that said they were all busy and it then ended the call.

Don't bother with Avanquest and their downloads. Ancestry find yourself a better business partner, Avanquest don't operate at anywhere the proper professional level.

I'm extremely disappointed by the whole experience.

Re: FTM 2014 UK upgrade download

Posted: 18 Oct 2013 3:25PM GMT
Edited: 18 Oct 2013 3:29PM GMT
From Amazon, who got the release date about right for FTM 2012 - 2014 UK version is not released until 1st November, so I doubt you'll get any joy before then.

I'm pretty sure that this is the first time FTM has been available for UK download, so they may still be working out the process!

Post-Script: Avanquest sent out an email to existing customers (I bought the 2011 version from them, I think), saying release date was 15th October. As their website still says 'pre-order' everywhere (except on the upgrade), Ancestry must have put it back due to the various software problems related on this board.

Posted: 19 Oct 2013 10:24AM GMT
Phoned Avanquest on 16th and was told that due to "problems" likely release date is now 25th October.

Posted: 19 Oct 2013 10:41AM GMT
Thanks for the information. It's a shame Avanquest weren't as helpful.

A simple message on the web page explaining it wasn't available yet would have been nice, or any form of response from customer support.

Posted: 19 Oct 2013 10:41AM GMT
You were luckier than me then!

Posted: 20 Oct 2013 10:18AM GMT
Hi,

Sorry to hijack your thread.

I don't suppose you know whether you need an earlier version of FTM to install the upgrade or is it a subscription less version? It is not clear on Avanquest's site or any other the others I have checked.

I want the software but I just buy a one month subscription as and when I need it.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted: 20 Oct 2013 2:15PM GMT
You get a one moth essentials sub with the upgrade, see http://www.familytreesw.com/upgrade

I don't usually bother with the upgrade version as I have done the same as you and bought monthly - but 6 months Premium version, for example, can usually be got for cheap enough price on Amazon etc to make it attractive (not necessarily lower price on release date though!)

Posted: 20 Oct 2013 2:22PM GMT
Mark, To answer the first part of your question - no, you don't need an earlier version to install FTM 2014.

Rosemary

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 9:29PM GMT
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I *think* an upgrade 2014 has enough new features to tempt me over a cheap 2012 deluxe.

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 10:16PM GMT
Mark,

If you have a 64-bit machine with a 64-bit version of Windows it is well worth it to buy FTM 2014. It will install as a 64-bit program and take better advantage of the hardware.

Rosemary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions