Exr: son Charles R. Waller;
Wit: Robt. Peddigrew, Reason Arnold, John Cook

Re: Will of John Waller, Hancock Co. GA, 1807

Posted: 29 Aug 2004 3:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jan 2005 7:43PM GMT
Do you know who John's father is?

Looking for a connection to Benjamin Waller born 1798-1805:
1850, Census, Hancock Co., GA, Roll 72 Book 1, Page 7a, District 102, Image 8, Dwelling 101, Gen.com:
Benjamin Waller, 52, M, GA Farmer, Realestate $100.00 (there is a slash-mark that may indicate married within the Year?)
Celia , 45, F GA
Catherine , 20, F, GA
Benjamin, 19, M, GA
Charles , 15, M, GA
Robert F., 13, M, GA
Henry, 8, M GA [ 'James H. Waller' on the 1860 Neshoba County, census]
Elizabeth, 80, F, Maryland (Most likely Benjamin's Mother since she had Waller surname)
Wm R., 6, M, GA
Robert Brodinax, 49, M, VA

Posted: 6 Mar 2010 3:21AM GMT
Surnames: waller, candler, copeland, nicholson,page
charles rhodes waller father john, do u know if john was born in maryland as his son charles rhodes waller was?do you know what john waller middle name was?im a descendant of charles rhodes wallers son nathaniel hazzard waller.there seems to b several john wallers also does anyone know when they moved from maryland to georgia my name is brent waller my email is bigdaddymrpipe@live.com my name is brent waller, i have that charles rhodes waller was born in 1781 in worscester maryland i do not see what year john was born and am lost at john.has anyone traced this line?

Posted: 22 Nov 2011 12:18AM GMT
I am trying to find more information on your line of Wallers at present, simply because of their location in Georgia and the fact they came from Maryland. These two facts may tie them to our Samuel Waller and Hiram Waller, who came from that general area (jumped around and the county lines changed radically in those specific years). Some of the Wallers in that general area came from elsewhere, not Maryland. How did you find out yours came from Worscester?

Posted: 22 Nov 2011 2:51AM GMT
a man in my family is a waller reasercher, his name is greg smith. john waller was given land in georgia at the end of the revolutionary war, he was from maryland, there line is well reaserched, charles waller wrote a book called the cheasapeakers that details waller genology, lots of it was on the later day saints files. sommerset maryland is where they came from. via virginia

Posted: 24 Nov 2011 1:47AM GMT
I have read Charles Waller's book. He doesn't cover the Georgia Wallers, not the ones I am interested in, anyway. Mine came from Maryland to Georgia to that area that was Wilkes and rapidly became several other counties by division, and then down to Chatham and Bryan Counties. Names were Samuel, Hiram, Jemima, George, John, James, William.

Posted: 24 Nov 2011 2:25AM GMT
John S. Waller's half brother Charles, born about 1834. He remained in Georgia and did not relocate to Mississippi with the rest of the family.i havent studied much past John, my line came from John as seen here> Nathaniel Waller, to Charles R. Waller, to John Waller. John Waller came from Maryland, Delaware,, Georgia, Alabama to Mississippi. John has papers on record with the SAR. It was passed down through the family that they came from maryland. Greg Smith has been studying waller lines for years, he has helped me tremendously. he is soon to publish his years of reaserch. his email is gregorysmith123@peoplepc.com It was my understanding that john recieved land as payment for revolutionary war service in GA, but greg would no more about it than i would. there was also a capt nathaniel waller in our line who was the head of the maryland state militia during the rev war. I do know that one time once i got to Ga i traced the wrong John Waller and if i remember correctly he came from north carolinia. my folks show up in hancock GA and one more cant remember, in a census.

Posted: 24 Nov 2011 2:27AM GMT
Thank you! I will get in touch with Mr. Smith.

Posted: 24 Nov 2011 2:30AM GMT
here is a copy of a discusion between me an jacob carpenter on this subject, he has also done alot of reaserch into his waller line, he is ancestry also
I. JOHN WALLER, b. c. 1615/6 in England (c. 1625 is most certainly a typo) and d. Jul 1667 in Somerset Co., MD. Marr. c. 1660 in Accomack Co., VA to ALICE MAJOR, b. ? in England/VA and d. prob. 1667 in Somerset Co., MD. Alice's parents were JOHN MAJOR and JANE HENRY, prob. a (2) wife. Look here for more info. on this: http://genforum.genealogy.com/waller/messages/2649.html

He immigrated to VA by c. 1654, where he first shows up in the records of Northampton Co. The identity of his parents remains unproven at this point. Circumstantial evidence suggests he may have been a younger brother of the famed English poet EDMUND WALLER.

A younger brother of the same name and roughly the same age is mentioned in a codicil added to the will of he and Edmund's father, ROBERT WALLER, providing for him after his death. Their mother was ANNE HAMPDEN, of whom a royal descent from King Edward I of England can be traced. This John seemingly disappears from the English record after that.

Names in this family also seem to pop up in the subsequent generations of ours (both our John and Edmund had sons named William, for instance). Then there's also the fact that there's an over 250 year old family tradition that our John was a son of the poet Edmund; however, careful examination of their families disproves this. All this leads to the conclusion that someone years ago simply misinterpreted the connection and that the two Johns are actually one and the same. He probably fled England for his life and went to America because he didn't want to be implicated in the infamous "Waller's Plot."

II. WILLIAM WALLER, SR., b. 26 Dec 1661 in Accomack Co., VA and d. 1713 in Somerset Co., MD. Marr. c. 1680 in Somerset Co., MD to BRIDGET NELSON, b. ? in Somerset Co., MD and d. ? in Somerset Co., MD. Her parents were JOHN NELSON and CATHERINE BOZMAN.

III. THOMAS WALLER, SR., b. 20 Feb 1696 in Somerset Co., MD and d. 1767 in Somerset Co., DE. Marr. c. 1714 in Somerset Co., MD to MARY, b. ? in ? and d. ? in Somerset Co., MD. I've seen some sources give her surname as THRELKELD, but this is unproven.

IV. (CAPT.) NATHANIEL WALLER, SR., b. c. 1715 in Somerset Co., MD and d. 1786 in Sussex Co., DE. Marr. 21 Sep 1741 in Somerset Co., MD to ELIZABETH STRAWBRIDGE, b. ? in MD and d. ? in Sussex Co., DE. Her parents were ZEPHANIAH STRAWBRIDGE and ?.

Nathaniel was Capt. of the Somerset Co., MD militia before the American Revolution.

V. JOHN WALLER, b. 13 MAR 1749 in Somerset Co., MD and d. Oct 1807 in Hancock Co., GA. Marr. 1766 in Somerset Co., MD to ELIZABETH RHODES, b. 17 Sep 1746 in Somerset Co., MD and d. prob. 1832 in Hancock Co., GA. Her parents were DANIEL RHODES and ?.

DANIEL RHODES died c. 1800 in Somerset Co., MD and mentions John as his son-in-law in his will. "The Chesapeakers" by CHARLES S. WALLER says Daniel was descended from a (DR.) JOHN RHODES of Salisbury, England, Somerset Co., MD and Sussex Co., DE, but I've found no mention of a Daniel in anything regarding that particular family.

JOHN WALLER served as a private in the MD militia during the American Revolution and was given land in Hancock Co., GA for his service, which is why he moved his family down there. This is well documented and you could get into an organization like the SAR through him if you wanted to. He already has approved papers in both it and the DAR.

VI. CHARLES RHODES WALLER, b. 14 Sep 1780 in Sussex Co., DE and d. 24 May 1858, prob. in Coweta Co., GA. Marr. 23 Apr 1803 in GA to AMELIA EMILY "MILLY, POLLY" CANDLER, b. ? in Richmond Co., GA and d. 19 Feb 1860, prob. in Coweta Co., GA. Her parents were (COL.) WILLIAM CANDLER and ELIZABETH ANTHONY.

Amelia's marriage to Charles was her second. She was a widow, previously marr. on 30 Aug 1794 in GA to ROBERT McTYRE, b. ? in ? and d. ? in GA. She went by her middle name "Emily."

VII. NATHANIEL HAZZARD WALLER, b. 25 Jul 1813, prob. Putnam Co., GA. Marr. 29 Feb 1833, Putnam Co., GA to (prob.) ELIZABETH.

The book doesn't give the date or place of death for Nathaniel, nor any dates or places of birth and death for Elizabeth because it focuses mainly on the author's line that he and I share to a point from Nathaniel's sister HARRIET LOUISA WALLER who marr. RICHARD HORNBUCKLE CALDWELL.

I hope all this is helpful to you. The book I took this from is called "Moran Exodus from Offaly" by Patrick Edward Moran. You can get a microfilm copy on loan from any LDS Family History Center; that's how I got it. If you're willing to accept that the immigrant John Waller was the same person as the younger brother of Edmund Waller, a second book called "Our Royal and Noble Ancestry" by the same author is also available in the same regard. It details the ancestry of Robert Waller and Anne Hampden, as well an unproven and strongly challenged connection for William Candler back to English, Scottish, and Irish royalty.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic