Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker Out of Sync and Unaware (includes video clip demo)

Family Tree Maker Out of Sync and Unaware (includes video clip demo)

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 12:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Oct 2013 12:56AM GMT
I'm not good at making web videos, but I'm sharing anyway because I wanted to demonstrate what happened after my last synchronization. Data is being changed that shouldn't be. Other users need to be aware this is happening. Video is about two minutes long.

Video: http://youtu.be/9SkEu6PbAio

Summary:
1. TreeSync changed data on Ancestry.com that wasn't changed in FTM (new facts became preferred facts)
2. FTM falsely reports that trees are in-sync (they're not!!!)

PS. Who knows what else doesn't sync right. If you use TreeSync, beware!

Re: Family Tree Maker Out of Sync and Unaware (includes video clip demo)

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 2:00AM GMT
Marco,

I had some total wierdnesses happen with the original release. A tree that sync'd perfectly during beta testing was suddenly totally f----d up with the production version. I gave up on it until the 1st patch was released and that SEEMS to have fixed the problem I was having.

I'm running on Vista with 32-bit Home Premium and I believe what I was experiencing was system specific at that time.

I don't rely on my Ancestry tree as my main database and don't have any guests invited so restoring it is a royal pain but not the end of the world. I also have only a couple of hundred media records attached. Tree size is about 4700 people.

I really feel for you.

Rosemary

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 2:48AM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2013 2:49AM GMT
I've seen other instances of "preferred" not syncing correctly. Periodically I export as gedcom and run it through another program that does database integrity checks [Legacy works], take note of any discrepancies, find those people and fix them in FTM.

I finally detached my FTM 2012 though now that I finished correcting most of the errors in it.

By the way, thanks for your videos.

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 3:05PM GMT
Marco

I assume you are just "playing"/testing the synch looking for errors/problems to warn other users and give feedback to development

I can't imagine you are are using it on real live databases which could be corrupted.

With all the hundreds of issues that have been reported in this area, you would have to be a masachist to be using it on real data where you could corrupt your daa base

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 3:08PM GMT
Nope, that's one of my real-live public trees on Ancestry.com. Call me stupid for synchronizing when I should know better.

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 5:58PM GMT
I was able to reproduce this problem two more times. Same results. My guess is there is an error in the code that evaluates the changes from FTM. When a new alternate fact is created (I've only tested thus far with names), it becomes the preferred fact on Ancestry.com (after syncrhonization) but remains an alternate in FTM.

I have to say. It is a lot of unnecessary work to go back and manually synchronize FTM with Ancestry.com after this happens.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions